why would thieves care about activation lock?

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
IMO its conceivable that Apple could easily implement coding that their servers use to communicate with the iDevice to verify firmware restores (even DFU mode ones) that would prevent a successful restore if Activation Block is live on an iDevice, thus rendering it basically useless, except for parts.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently sold an iPhone 4 that I had sitting in the house on Craigslist. To my surprise, the guy actually requested I call Verizon to verify the ESN was clean when we met up. Of course I had no problem with that, but it was sort of a pleasant surprise that he knew to check and make sure the device was clean before any money exchanged hands. Scary how many people don't realize they could be getting ripped off.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
People need to be knowledgeable about what they are buying. They need to thoroughly check the device out and make sure they can use all features. Anyone who's buying a iOS7 device from a random person should know about the security features before dealing with such people. If not, then they will continue to be victims but there's only so much apple can do.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I recently sold an iPhone 4 that I had sitting in the house on Craigslist. To my surprise, the guy actually requested I call Verizon to verify the ESN was clean when we met up. Of course I had no problem with that, but it was sort of a pleasant surprise that he knew to check and make sure the device was clean before any money exchanged hands. Scary how many people don't realize they could be getting ripped off.

This is pretty common if I buy anything I make them meet me at the service provider .. I don't trust anybody lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering this also .. I mean I'm all for the feature but I can also see some people upgrading phones putting a old
iPhone in a drawer pull it out months later wiping it them bam need a password and they don't remember it.

It would be interesting to see if a dfu restore bypasses it because not everyone knows about dfu mode although it is easy to find out about

So who is gonna try this ? Lol

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So who is gonna try this ? Lol

I've already put my phone in DFU mode and it asks for the Apple ID and password.
I usually put the phone in DFU when I'm changing the OS. I did this when I downgraded
back to 6.1.4 a couple of times. That thing asks for a password, man. lol

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73