iOS 7 and the Rejection Of The Unfamiliar

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have 20/40 vision and can see everything in iOS 7 just fine. I was showing it off to my 63 year old mother who has poor vision and she never complained about it. I have the dynamic text set to the smallest setting possible to fit more information on a page and this still isn't an issue.

The lightweight font feels fresh and new.

Seriously tho, if its that hard for you to read with your glasses you may need new lenses.

Thank you, Dr. Dryland, but I have read of many people with the same issue as me, so I don't think that new lenses will fix the problem. But happy that you're not having an issue!

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I have been critical of the iOS 7 look to a certain extent but I really don't see what the issue is with the white... I think it looks awesome, even on a black iPhone.

It is really no different than previously apart from the navigation bars going from blue to translucent white. If you have trouble reading the text, toggle the enhance text legibility under accessibility settings and the format of the font will be enhanced in apps that support the feature like mail and messages.

I've been using iOS 7 for a while now and even the icons don't bother me anymore (not that a change won't be welcome). My only real issues now are the dock and the text on the home screen which is really thin.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Then increase the font size.

It does seem that you have vision issues though as I see text just fine even on the smallest setting.

Actually, my "yes, I did" was directed at Keith. But you are correct, as I do have some vision problems. I am going on June 27 to have a cornea transplant in one eye, and August 1 for the other eye. But I have read posts by many people with my same concerns. Hopefully, my surgeries will remedy some of my issues.
But to say that "Apple doesn't need to do any more than that" is a ridiculous statement. If it didn't come from Keith, I would even call it fanboyish. But he is better than that.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Actually, my "yes, I did" was directed at Keith. But you are correct, as I do have some vision problems. I am going on June 27 to have a cornea transplant in one eye, and August 1 for the other eye. But I have read posts by many people with my same concerns. Hopefully, my surgeries will remedy some of my issues.
But to say that "Apple doesn't need to do any more than that" is a ridiculous statement. If it didn't come from Keith, I would even call it fanboyish. But he is better than that.

All good and good luck with your surgeries.

Joelist

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Really the look would drastically improve if they would give us as users a choice of color schemes. The new design language would look really sharp for example against a black or even darker blue backdrop. Not everyone likes light colors against a white backdrop. Hopefully that changes.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Really the look would drastically improve if they would give us as users a choice of color schemes. The new design language would look really sharp for example against a black or even darker blue backdrop. Not everyone likes light colors against a white backdrop. Hopefully that changes.

Agreed, I think it would be cool if the theme of iOS would change depending on the color of the iPhone you have or during the day like light during daytime then darker for night time.

Sent from the collector home world.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
While this is largely true, I think people have a valid complaint with regard to the icons in iOS 7. Flat icons are one thing but ugly flat icons are another thing entirely. It lacks the usual Apple panache and is reminiscent of something from a 70's comic book. I sincerely hope they rethink the direction they've taken there. I kind of like what they did with the WWDC app icon... Light gradient, colourful, no gloss... Just gorgeous, instead of the overly bright remix of pastel and fluorescence in the iOS 7 system apps.

The other aspects of iOS 7 are brilliant and well thought out though and worth the update alone.

It's funny you should say that.
For a few months I was using the dark theme below:

DCFC3FDD-FE0F-4E38-B9AA-D8FD24D150D3-3558-00000213816D6DD8.jpg

Got tired of it and went back to stock iOS 6 look, and it was very jarring.

6458770A-228A-480A-B521-45C20FC5EBE4-7356-0000021D663401F3.jpg

To me, iOS 6 looks like a comic book.

36FDB338-C88E-4268-AC47-F2E8E95D9820-7356-0000021D7B56A222.jpg

The Uncanny iPhone.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
And for that reason your opinion comes across as ******** and moaning. A tech "enthusiast" understands the transition Apple is making. To say this shows they are doomed as a company is plain ridiculous. No one is saying there aren't issues with iOS 7's design. Is it a step in the right direction? Almost everyone believes so, enthusiast and professionals alike. It just needs to be done right.

This is the new Apple. Change is here. Accept it or move on.

There will always be iOS 6 themes in the jailbreak community if you miss it so much. :sarcasm:

And this is what makes the internet such a pain, this is about iOS 7, I'm talking about iOS 7, and yet people like you turn everything into a discussion about the posters.

If you don't like what I have to say, take your own advice, and move on, you don't need waste one second telling me how much you love Apple because I don't give a damn.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
"I just cannot see many of the people that love the iPhone like the older crowd, who do not have great eyesight and tech skills, finding this anything but a confusing mess. It's the "new Coke"."

Surely, Apple will make it readable to us with less than perfect eyesight. And, of course, a larger screen would be nice.:)

Someone on another site made an observation that it looks like one of those color blindness tests, which for some reason make me feel dizzy, I have perfect vision, but I am color blind, maybe that's why I find it so hard to read?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My friend at work has iOS 7 running on his iPhone 5 and some of the contrast of dark text on light backgrounds was a bit weird at first...I only looked through a few menu screens, and such, but it wasn't terrible, just drastically different.

The iMessage screen was awful from what i looked at...maybe I'll get used to it, but what i saw was way too "soft" for lack of better term.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It will take adjustment... and experimentation with backgrounds as your wallpaper choice can have quite an impact on when translucent layers get put atop the wallpapers.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My 2-cents.. I love the clean, simple, fresh lines of the new iOS. I enjoy using it so far, and think it's a great change, very welcome. Simple, clean, functional, as I have always hoped it would be.. :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm running beta 2 and it has been cleaned up and tweaked. Using a background with white the text elements on the lock screen now turn a darker grey to stay distinguishable. I just had to come in and rave because I just moved a reminder down the list of reminders. There was no edit button, no grab handles just tap and hold. Then move down the list the animation was smooth and slick. I've been using iOS since it's intro and just that simple thing made me smile and excited. I'm almost sure this OS is going to be a hit. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh