iOS 7 and the Rejection Of The Unfamiliar

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I feel that ppl just need to learn to accept what changes are happening and I am not just talking about just iOS I mean every phone and software in general like when nothing is changing ppl complain that oh it's not like this phone or it don't have this or this but then when changes are made and upgraded and ppl are not familiar with it then ppl still complain about it like come on I know ios7 is making alot of changes and I am not use to it yet I have the beta tested version for a few days now and still kinda getting use to it but it's not gonna be something to hate if you don't like it don't upgrade If I don't like iPhone of Samsung of whatever don't get it spend money on something u know u will enjoy

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I feel that ppl just need to learn to accept what changes are happening and I am not just talking about just iOS I mean every phone and software in general like when nothing is changing ppl complain that oh it's not like this phone or it don't have this or this but then when changes are made and upgraded and ppl are not familiar with it then ppl still complain about it like come on I know ios7 is making alot of changes and I am not use to it yet I have the beta tested version for a few days now and still kinda getting use to it but it's not gonna be something to hate if you don't like it don't upgrade If I don't like iPhone of Samsung of whatever don't get it spend money on something u know u will enjoy

Problem is that once you have a issue with your phone and need to restore, you are forced to upgrade by Apple, and many apps will be updated to only work on the latest software.

iOS 7 literally has no design elements, it's just a bunch of white backgrounds with super thin, hard to read font. This guy on Macrumors hit the nail on the head, and expressed my thoughts far better than I could what myself and many others are feeling about this whole thing.

"I love the page turn animation in iBooks. I love the shredding animation in Passbook app. I love the page curl in Maps. I love the shiny buttons. Skeuomorphism is fun. Everything I love about iPhone is going away.

The idea that skeuomorphism won't stand the test of time is absurd. Things on the screen have to look like something. Things that are hard to imagine as a physical entity are hard to relate to and are hard to figure out. It can look like something from the past (reel to reel in the old Podcasts app), something from the future (Time Machine on OS X) or even something imaginary. The alternative to physical is abstract. It is hard for ordinary everyday people to figure out abstract interfaces.

This is the beginning of the decline of Apple. The question of can Apple still be Apple without Steve Jobs has been answered. And the answer, sadly, is a resounding No.

The parallax feature of iOS 7 is cool. And so is the rain and snow in the weather app that looks like real rain and snow. But this is realism. They removed the old realism such as leather and torn pages and then added it back in spades in the weather app. No restraint whatsoever. Apple designers have lost their way without Steve Jobs.

It is skeuomorphism that made the iPhone a darling of consumers around the world. Skeuomorphism frees technology from the shackles of inscrutable "computer interfaces" and makes it accessible to ordinary everyday users.

The iPad calendar for example, is something that you can show to people who have never seen an iPad before, and they don't see a computer interface. They see a calendar. The instant recognition triggered by skeuomorphism causes the interface to disappear.

The human brain likes both the comfort/pleasure of tactile feedback and the predictability of behaviors implied by familiar appearances (affordance and metaphor). Steve Jobs leveraged these brain responses to the approval of Apple's customers. Steve Jobs understood more than anyone else how to make technology accessible to ordinary everyday users."

MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - iBooks. Now that it will be a blank white page...

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Using iOS 6 on my iPad and using iOS 7 on my iPhone shows me instantly the difference. Using iOS 6 has started to feel so weird, old, wrong. I can't fully describe it, it's just a feeling I get when using both. What a lot of people don't understand about iOS 7 is that there are a lot of great changes and addition of new features that make things so much easier. However there are also a lot of things that have been refined to make things easier, quicker to do and more beneficial to the user. An example is the camera shorcut in the Control Center. Lots of people will say what's the point of that there is a shortcut on the lock screen. Well here's the thing lets say you're walking around and a great picture opportunity springs up. Your phone is unlocked now how do you find your camera app in time for the shot. Maybe you're lucky enough that your camera app is on the first home screen but what if you're not? What if it's on another home screen, in a folder. The time it takes you to figure that out the shot could be gone. Well now you don't need to figure that out just pull up the CC and boom camera is right there. The same with pano, before it was a tap in options, a tap for pano it was more work. Now you just slide the camera to the right it's a simple quick gesture that enables you to get it done faster and easier.

Sure I personally find some of the icons ugly and while I don't think the icons are one of the things that will change by the final release who knows it just might. I also don't find all of them ugly, I love the gamecenter and photos icons. Which highlights that it is just personal opinion and I also don't think people will stay away from iOS 7 just because of the icons. I look at iOS 7 like the iPhone 4, when it was leaked no one thought it was real it looked blocky and square nothing like the previous models. I was one of the people who said if this rumor is true I wont be buying the iPhone 4. Then by the time it debuted the shape and design had grown on me and I loved it! It wasn't that the design was ugly it was just different prompting that initial knee jerk reaction. I think iOS 7 will be a huge hit when it is released I already have a ton of friends asking me how they can load the beta. They aren't devs and even though I tell them it has bugs they just don't care, they are so excited. Now consider that by the time it's released the bugs will be gone, some things will change for the better and devs will be updating apps to take advantage of the new features and look. I think for a short while people will experience the same knee jerk reaction but when things just work and they discover how much better it is all that will go out the window.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Using iOS 6 on my iPad and using iOS 7 on my iPhone shows me instantly the difference. Using iOS 6 has started to feel so weird, old, wrong. I can't fully describe it, it's just a feeling I get when using both. What a lot of people don't understand about iOS 7 is that there are a lot of great changes and addition of new features that make things so much easier. However there are also a lot of things that have been refined to make things easier, quicker to do and more beneficial to the user. An example is the camera shorcut in the Control Center. Lots of people will say what's the point of that there is a shortcut on the lock screen. Well here's the thing lets say you're walking around and a great picture opportunity springs up. Your phone is unlocked now how do you find your camera app in time for the shot. Maybe you're lucky enough that your camera app is on the first home screen but what if you're not? What if it's on another home screen, in a folder. The time it takes you to figure that out the shot could be gone. Well now you don't need to figure that out just pull up the CC and boom camera is right there. The same with pano, before it was a tap in options, a tap for pano it was more work. Now you just slide the camera to the right it's a simple quick gesture that enables you to get it done faster and easier.

Sure I personally find some of the icons ugly and while I don't think the icons are one of the things that will change by the final release who knows it just might. I also don't find all of them ugly, I love the gamecenter and photos icons. Which highlights that it is just personal opinion and I also don't think people will stay away from iOS 7 just because of the icons. I look at iOS 7 like the iPhone 4, when it was leaked no one thought it was real it looked blocky and square nothing like the previous models. I was one of the people who said if this rumor is true I wont be buying the iPhone 4. Then by the time it debuted the shape and design had grown on me and I loved it! It wasn't that the design was ugly it was just different prompting that initial knee jerk reaction. I think iOS 7 will be a huge hit when it is released I already have a ton of friends asking me how they can load the beta. They aren't devs and even though I tell them it has bugs they just don't care, they are so excited. Now consider that by the time it's released the bugs will be gone, some things will change for the better and devs will be updating apps to take advantage of the new features and look. I think for a short while people will experience the same knee jerk reaction but when things just work and they discover how much better it is all that will go out the window.

It's not just the icons, it's the whole OS that is one big cluster****, I'm sorry, but the fanboys can't explain this one for Apple, this pre-school non-design is just bad, nothing wrong with admitting that, it's the truth. The folder icons are horrid, the signal dots are horrid, the dialer is horrid, the plain and confusing whitewashed background in everything now is fugly, non-user friendly, and will NOT work better if not changed come GM.

iOS was "PERFECT" according to most people here just two weeks ago, now it was old, stale, and needed a complete change, funny how minds change so fast..

And btw, I loved the look of the iPhone 4 when we got the spy shots, a vocal minority hated, not "everyone". The iPhone 4 was also a beautiful, classy, elegant design, can't say the same for iOS 7.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's not just the icons, it's the whole OS that is one big cluster****, I'm sorry, but the fanboys can't explain this one for Apple, this pre-school non-design is just bad, nothing wrong with admitting that, it's the truth. The folder icons are horrid, the signal dots are horrid, the dialer is horrid, the plain and confusing whitewashed background in everything now is fugly, non-user friendly, and will NOT work better if not changed come GM.

iOS was "PERFECT" according to most people here just two weeks ago, now it was old, stale, and needed a complete change, funny how minds change so fast..

And btw, I loved the look of the iPhone 4 when we got the spy shots, a vocal minority hated, not "everyone". The iPhone 4 was also a beautiful, classy, elegant design, can't say the same for iOS 7.

No one said that iOS (6) was perfect. No software is. Neither is iOS 7... but it’s also not "horrid"... it is a work in progress. Many reports state that the iOS that we now have was "cobbled together" in time for WWDC. This could very well be born out by the missing iPad version - that there was simply not time to get a working version together in time for the big reveal.

The fact that we are due for an updated beta soon, we may see some progress... but that’s not to say that what we have in our hands today (or more correctly, on our phones) is "throwaway", nor is it "pre-school non-design". It’s not "fugly, non-user friendly" software. It’s THE FIRST beta release of a redesigned iOS.

It’s fine to be disappointed or in whatever conniption that you are currently in, but give it time. Surely you see something positive in what Apple has given us, especially given the fact that this is a very early version of what could well be a tremendous new chapter in the iPhone life cycle.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

There is almost no point to responding to what you have said. According to you "fanboys" will try to explain iOS 7 shortcomings away. The problem is no one is explaining anything away. They are stating their opinion, the problem is you state your opinion as fact. The fact that you think it's a pre-school non-design means anyone that doesn't agree is just "explaining it away". I had no problem saying that I hated the design of the iPhone 4 at first but again you say you didn't as if you are the meter stick of good design. Everyone is welcome to their opinion and my opinion is that many people will love iOS 7. My opinion is that iOS 7 is great and besides a few ugly icons I love the new features it brings to the table. I love not having to check for updates, love the way swipes in applications look, love the way the interface looks with the white or black elements. Sure there are other things that are still missing that I want but maybe they will come in time.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple is sure making it harder for people with less than perfect eyesight, with light colors and light text. I just don't understand this. A tiny screen AND unreadable text is unacceptable for such people.
It seems that Apple is becoming smaller and smaller in Android's rearview mirror, and that is a shame, as I really do like iPhones. But I have to go with what I can use. Maybe someday they will come out with a "S4" size screen, and make it easier for a large section of people to use. Here's hoping.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Apple is sure making it harder for people with less than perfect eyesight, with light colors and light text. I just don't understand this. A tiny screen AND unreadable text is unacceptable for such people.
It seems that Apple is becoming smaller and smaller in Android's rearview mirror, and that is a shame, as I really do like iPhones. But I have to go with what I can use. Maybe someday they will come out with a "S4" size screen, and make it easier for a large section of people to use. Here's hoping.

First of all, iOS 7 is nowhere near finished yet...

And I would argue that Apple is NOT "becoming smaller and smaller in Android's rearview mirror". Apple is still selling lots and lots of products... frankly the only time Android/Samsung makes a move on Apple's position as the leader is in the 6 months or so before Apple releases its new phone.

There will always be people who aren’t fans or prefer another OS/product over Apple's... and there will always be those who prefer a mini-tablet sized phone, but for the life of me, I couldn’t tell you why. For me and many that I know, the 4" screen is plenty big enough.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Why don't you just change the text size under accessibility settings as well as toggle on enhance text legibility and background contrast (not working system wide due to it being beta)?

Anyway, it seems you are after a phone with a larger display which Apple doesn't yet make. Nothing is stopping you from getting a S4 though...

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all, iOS 7 is nowhere near finished yet...

And I would argue that Apple is NOT "becoming smaller and smaller in Android's rearview mirror". Apple is still selling lots and lots of products... frankly the only time Android/Samsung makes a move on Apple's position as the leader is in the 6 months or so before Apple releases its new phone.

There will always be people who aren’t fans or prefer another OS/product over Apple's... and there will always be those who prefer a mini-tablet sized phone, but for the life of me, I couldn’t tell you why. For me and many that I know, the 4" screen is plenty big enough.

Apple's position as the leader? Apple has not led over Android in a long time, at any time of the year. Android is the clear leader in the U.S. and worldwide. But my point is that I hope that Apple makes iOS 7 readable to people with less than perfect eyesight. Is that too much to ask?

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Depends on whether you view market share or profit share when you call Android or Apple the "leader". Yes there are more Android handsets (although lots of those are low-end and probably don't get used as smartphones), but Apple has a very high percentage of industry profits considering that its one company compared to many Android phone manufacturers.

I was speaking of marketshare, and I would venture to say that Fausty82 was speaking of marketshare, also. I am an iOS fan just as much as I am an Android fan, but let's face it, Android phone sales blow iPhone sales out of the water. And that is marketshare.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was speaking of marketshare, and I would venture to say that Fausty82 was speaking of marketshare, also. I am an iOS fan just as much as I am an Android fan, but let's face it, Android phone sales blow iPhone sales out of the water. And that is marketshare.

You would be incorrect. I was speaking of cash profit from sales of their devices. Show me the money. Apple may want an iPhone in every pocket, but they continue to be focused on their margins, as well. Market share is good, but you can’t spend it if there’s no (or not much) profit in it.

Android may sell more units world wide (and even domestically), but they are lower end, $99 units (or free with contract)... many of which aren’t on the current level of OS. The fragmentation is a major factor in Android's effort to conquer the world. WIth multiple manufacturers building multiple models, you have so many phones competing for that share of the Android profit.

As they say in the negotiation game, "money talks, BS walks"...

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You would be incorrect. I was speaking of cash profit from sales of their devices. Android may sell more units world wide (and even domestically), but they are lower end, $99 units (or free with contract)... many of which aren’t on the current level of OS. The fragmentation is a major factor in Android's effort to conquer the world.

As they say in the negotiation game, "money talks, BS walks"...

And you know that they are low-end phones, how? Or just guessing?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
And you know that they are low-end phones, how? Or just guessing?

Because every ad I see in print on TV is for a $99 or less phone. I don’t "know" because I haven’t researched every single one, but from the ads that I have seen, it appears to be true. To quote the great Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, "you can observe a lot just by watching".

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Because every ad I see in print on TV is for a $99 or less phone. I don’t "know" because I haven’t researched every single one, but from the ads that I have seen, it appears to be true. To quote the great Lawrence "Yogi" Berra, "you can observe a lot just by watching".

I can't argue with Yogi.:)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I never understand why this marketshare argument keeps getting pounded to death. Yes we all know that there a boat load of Android devices out there but Apple doesn't care about that they're bringing in more profit than any Android manufacture based off the amount of iDevices they sell.

Now Samsung makes a good chunk of change as well but they don't nearly make as much profit per a device as Apple does.

There's a really good article that discusses the favor of profit share over market share in the iOS vs Android argument I'm pretty sure it was on iMore but don't have the link.

Sent from the collector home world.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
While this is largely true, I think people have a valid complaint with regard to the icons in iOS 7. Flat icons are one thing but ugly flat icons are another thing entirely. It lacks the usual Apple panache and is reminiscent of something from a 70's comic book. I sincerely hope they rethink the direction they've taken there. I kind of like what they did with the WWDC app icon... Light gradient, colourful, no gloss... Just gorgeous, instead of the overly bright remix of pastel and fluorescence in the iOS 7 system apps.

The other aspects of iOS 7 are brilliant and well thought out though and worth the update alone.

As many have said, the thing about design is, it's subjective. Some will like it, some will not. I personally hated the WWDC app. It looked inconsistent and very boring. Too much grey. The new apps may have a lot of white but the translucency and accent colors balance it out better. However, like you, i agree that the wwdc app icon looked good and i am not a fan of the icons used in ios 7. they feel out of place. Of course that's my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree :)

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I never understand why this marketshare argument keeps getting pounded to death. Yes we all know that there a boat load of Android devices out there but Apple doesn't care about that they're bringing in more profit than any Android manufacture based off the amount of iDevices they sell.

Now Samsung makes a good chunk of change as well but they don't nearly make as much profit per a device as Apple does.

There's a really good article that discusses the favor of profit share over market share in the iOS vs Android argument I'm pretty sure it was on iMore but don't have the link.

Me neither. Honestly, is it even fair to count every android phone? There are several manufacturers and models. I feel like the iPhone does quite good considering its one device. Why is it that they are "supposed" to compete with several devices? It's one phone and it does well.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Me neither. Honestly, is it even fair to count every android phone? There are several manufacturers and models. I feel like the iPhone does quite good considering its one device. Why is it that they are "supposed" to compete with several devices? It's one phone and it does well.

Exactly! There's like 100's of different Android devices so of course it's easy for Android to smash in market share the markets so freaking saturated with low end devices I mean just look at how many freaking variants there are of the Galaxy Suck 4 alone.

So I absolutely think Apple is killing it with their lineup.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen