** Why DOES iOS 7 make our phones HOT AS HELL?

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
** Why DOES iOS 7 make our phones HOT AS HELL? I understand this is in beta but I'm not even running more than one or two applications at a time. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I only noticed when I was using hotspot in an LTE area and playing a multiplayer FPS on my iPad using the connection. But thats extreme conditions I believe.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading a lot of reports on other boards that some of the apps are not communicating with iOS 7 properly, essentially sending them into a loop which works the processor up and causes some extreme heat. I didn't see any specifics but will keep an eye out. I personally have access to update to the dev versions but i never do because when i did it with iOS 5, it wasn't worth it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Repeat after me:
BECAUSE IT?S A BETA RELEASE. IT STILL NEEDS WORK/TUNING.

brit.gif

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
It's Beta for developing Apps.....

Plus battery management IMO has not been put into place yet... Builds 3, maybe 4 will improve......

Again a "preview" for developers to make their apps work with iOS 7, is all this is... It's not for everyday usage.....Which for some reason.. A lot of users are assuming so

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
It's Beta for developing Apps.....

I've heard/seen/read a few people in this forums state that "betas are only for developers." I'm not a developer but I rely on iOS for my livelihood just the same. I implement, manage and support mobile technologies, which includes iOS. I need hands on experience well before I introduce it to my clients. Learning the issues the same day as my client updates to a new OS is being blind sided and asking for issues. I'm being proactive instead of reactive. I'm not a developer, yet, I have access to submit bug reports to support the developer community.

It's not just about developing apps, its more about developing a great experience.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading a lot of reports on other boards that some of the apps are not communicating with iOS 7 properly, essentially sending them into a loop which works the processor up and causes some extreme heat. I didn't see any specifics but will keep an eye out. I personally have access to update to the dev versions but i never do because when i did it with iOS 5, it wasn't worth it.

That makes sense, and could also explain part of the battery drain... in addition to the fact that it’s not yet been tuned for battery performance...

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I understand that. But the question was. "Why does the iPhone get hot"?

And the answer is, it's Beta. let alone the first build released...

You can test all you want, but of course your reaction the iOS 7 as it stands now, would be questionable. You would not introduce it to your users, right?

If you want true hands on to what a normal user will be using, later builds will help express that.. Now is not the time to have the true iOS7 feeling..

But go for it.. More bugs reported the better... It will only help

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Haven't experienced this issue and frankly my phone has only resprung once so I think that's pretty dang good for a beta 1.

Sent from the collector home world.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well to actually answer your question, we must first understand what temperature "hell" is. Since no one has been there and come back with measurements, we can safely assume that a phone cannot get hot as "hell" since we don't know what the median temperature is there. Second, this is BETA software with BETA firmware on top of BETA carrier profiles. Your carrier, Apple, and Qualcomm/Infineon are also testing their ends to come to a solution for the most efficient ways of providing signal with minimal power requirements.

Also remember that every single third party app is coded using iOS 6 development programs and they are not allowed to use the iOS 7 versions for you to use. Maybe they are making calls to an API that is not yet optimized for iOS 7. There are some many things that could be the issue, but the most important one is that it's BETA.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I mean, if I had my phone that hot I'd just deal with it or go back to 6.1.4...
Not much we can do as far as what steps you can take, I guess there are several processes running in the background and it'll get better over the next beta releases.
I guess you can restore and then re install ios7, if that doesn't help all you have to do is wait it out

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It's a beta, that's why. Some devs also report battery life being really bad, which is also what you typically get in a beta.

Don't forget, they've added a lot of stuff that's pretty processor intensive: Live wallpaper, live icons, multitasking for all apps. I really doubt that was a good idea, but we shall see. Maybe they'll be able to bring the battery consumption down to what it is on 6.1.X by the time it goes gold.

Daniel Smith4

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Short answer, as everyone else says - It's Beta, it could be any number of things.

I can't seem to replicate the problem though, I've tried playing high end games whilst playing music and having the phone plugged in charging, it gets warm but no warmer than it usually would under the circumstances

wsander

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I turned off the following Location Services:

Diagnostics & Usage
Location-based iAds
Popular New Me
Wi-Fi Networking

And it cooled right down.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics