Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Who cares? who looks at icons for more than a few seconds anyway

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I've seen threads in here already with people going back and forth on the looks of our new iOS. When it gets released in Fall I guess that will be the determining moment as to how it will be adopted by the masses. I think it's a very personal preference I don't like elements of the new look, icons, icon folders mostly. I have friends that agree with me and I have friends who disagree and think it is so fresh and so clean. I personally think the icons of iOSes past were much more elegant and more 21st century looking but like I said it seems to be a personal thing. So let's take an informal poll and see what iMore thinks. So take the poll and feel free to discuss the elements you don't like and what you think might have been a better upgrade?

I figured it's pretty hard to without seeing the icons to think whether they really are that bad. So I just quickly put some of the native app icons together. In my opinion most of them look really good. I love the new game center icon, most of the others are just a flat version of the one before. Some however are just really bad offenders and look so damn ugly. Like for me Safari, Facetime(god that green), Settings and Weather(looks so comical now I feel like it comes out of the Super Mario game). Like I said I don't have a problem with the flat look but the weather icon for example they could use just the sun, ditch the 23 with some clouds behind not that bubbly looking thing they have now.

Attachments

• Icon sheet.jpg
    Icon sheet.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Icon sheet 2.jpg
    Icon sheet 2.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I really like using the OS and the new features while they are not everything I wanted are a great start in the right direction. But the god awful icons in my opinion are killing me when I have to look at them. I'm talking about the native ones too, the flat look is fine but why couldn't they use the icons they've used before just a flattened version? In my opinion it would have been better to put up all the native icons and look at which ones needed changing. The new photos icon is pretty nice but the majority of them are ugly. So they should have changed ones that just didn't convey the app and made them flat and maybe add a thin, subtle silver border. I know it would have been a more skuemorphic style, oh the heresy, but it might of looked slick.

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I absolutely love the new functionality in ios7 but I can't stand the color choices throughout the UI. Those icons look awful.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely horrid, a 1 on a 10 scale, looks like clip art from a early 90's rainbow bright paint program.

Hard to believe a company so renowned for design could put out this classless, childish, brash crap..

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The overall design is pretty nice. I am not a huge fan of "flat" I can understand "clean" because clean uses little to no textures but usually uses things like shadows, gradients and transparency. Apple did right to use transparency as it is a nice affect and gives you a slight view of what's underneath. I also like the new lock screen. However, I agree with most people (and I think most people's only real problem is the same) the icons are horrible. They look like something on a toy or hell from a disco era or 80's or something. They take away from the elegance of the rest of the OS. I also don't see a shadow (though there might be a light one behind them I just haven't noticed) which might make it harder to read words if the background is really light. The color gradients is the primary problem though... So the only place gradients are used is in the icons with way to vibrant color choices? I think if the icons can be fixed the design looks great. I would still have liked just a few slight gradients OF THE SAME COLOR just to add slight depth and some light shadows, but its fine. Everything was designed very sleek and there are even some places where shadows still exist. I think It will easily grow on people who are skeptical but only if the icons change.

FiveTimer48

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
At least they designed the applications decently. The icons could use another make over, but I think it is mostly that purple background that makes the entire iOS look ugly. When you change it to your own, it probably would look better to you and that is why Apple made some features transparent.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
the OS needed functionality and customization, not a redesign of apps in my opinion. The apps before were stunning and beautiful, now they look like they were drawn in the 80's by a 10 year old. Also hate the messaging bubbles not being shaded. They also look very plain and ugly and since I am in this app the most I am dissappointed I am going to have to look at it every day. If only apple added some more customization i.e. themes, homescreen customization, etc. users could have given their own fresh look to the OS to the extent they liked. Couple that with added functionality, and you would have had the OS upgrade that would have gotten acclaim across the board!

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I love all of the new features of iOS7 but along with most of you am super bummed about the new look of the icons and text messaging screen/bubbles. It was so beautiful in iOS6.

I'm hoping that there is an option to choose whether you want the new icons and new messaging vs. old.

Do any of the people here who installed the developer version see an option for this?

Also, if people wind up disliking the look to much is there an option to stay with iOS6?

Thanks much! :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I like it. It's refreshing, professional looking, trendy and is what the tech heads claimed they wanted. I'm looking forward to the fall when it is released to the general public.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it looks pretty cool, I'll reserve my real opinions of it when i get my hands on it and put it to use in my day to day.

I also found this observation funny...especially considering many of the more negatively inclined members...

Pre-iOS 7 keynote: "Apple needs a change, they are stagnant, the OS looks old and stale, it's been the same since the first iPhone. They need a refresh."

Post iOS 7 keynote: "I can't believe Apple changed the look of iOS. The previous OS looked beautiful, the app buttons were "stunning" (lol). Apple really screwed the pooch here."

...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

bujin

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I like the look, and especially the idea that you're zooming into folders and then zooming further into apps. I'm in love with the control center and multitasking. I think it's all pretty great - but I'm color blind, so I can't comment on the complaint to about colors. :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The overall design is pretty nice. I am not a huge fan of "flat" I can understand "clean" because clean uses little to no textures but usually uses things like shadows, gradients and transparency. Apple did right to use transparency as it is a nice affect and gives you a slight view of what's underneath. I also like the new lock screen. However, I agree with most people (and I think most people's only real problem is the same) the icons are horrible. They look like something on a toy or hell from a disco era or 80's or something. They take away from the elegance of the rest of the OS. I also don't see a shadow (though there might be a light one behind them I just haven't noticed) which might make it harder to read words if the background is really light. The color gradients is the primary problem though... So the only place gradients are used is in the icons with way to vibrant color choices? I think if the icons can be fixed the design looks great. I would still have liked just a few slight gradients OF THE SAME COLOR just to add slight depth and some light shadows, but its fine. Everything was designed very sleek and there are even some places where shadows still exist. I think It will easily grow on people who are skeptical but only if the icons change.

I think the icons can be fixed too and it is the beta but I don't think they are going to change them :( that is the problem.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think it looks pretty cool, I'll reserve my real opinions of it when i get my hands on it and put it to use in my day to day.

I also found this observation funny...especially considering many of the more negatively inclined members...

Pre-iOS 7 keynote: "Apple needs a change, they are stagnant, the OS looks old and stale, it's been the same since the first iPhone. They need a refresh."

Post iOS 7 keynote: "I can't believe Apple changed the look of iOS. The previous OS looked beautiful, the app buttons were "stunning" (lol). Apple really screwed the pooch here."

for me it's not damned if they do and damned if they don't I love the new OS it's just the F'in icons mostly but I think the folders are definitely a step back if it ends up making it out to the public in the form it is in now. Folders used to hold 12 icons I believe now it is down to 9, so what if there are more pages that just leads to more swiping. None of this means I wont use it I sure as hell will because the other changes outweigh these little minor gripes.

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Yeh, all of a sudden everyone loves iOS 6 and back. Apple just can?t get it right at least in the tech crowd. Save for some questionable design of the icons, the OS looks great. The increased functionality is awesome.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
the OS needed functionality and customization, not a redesign of apps in my opinion. The apps before were stunning and beautiful, now they look like they were drawn in the 80's by a 10 year old. Also hate the messaging bubbles not being shaded. They also look very plain and ugly and since I am in this app the most I am dissappointed I am going to have to look at it every day. If only apple added some more customization i.e. themes, homescreen customization, etc. users could have given their own fresh look to the OS to the extent they liked. Couple that with added functionality, and you would have had the OS upgrade that would have gotten acclaim across the board!

Agreed!

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I obviously have not used iOS 7 yet so all I have to go off on is the WWDC reveal and screenshots and what others have said on the forums. I personally am not a fan of the "look" of this OS. It's just too bright and too white, and I really wish there was an option for a darker theme (that would go better with the black iPhone, IMO), but someone with the beta said that there wasn't such a feature. I also find it really odd that all the mockups on Apple's site are on the white iPhone...it looks acceptable on a white phone but on black? It's just too bright. I think the lack of borders around buttons and just having really thin text everywhere is a no-no especially for visually impaired folks. The white font on a solid blue background for the Messages bubbles is also very hard to read, and against the solid, bright white background I think it's just asking to blind people. The dots replacing the carrier bars I also think is a silly change--again, dots are harder to see than bars and I imagine would be problematic for the visually impaired. I'm okay with flat icons but the designs don't seem to have any uniformity. What's with the Camera icon? And why are the colors just so damn bright? The green for the Phone and Messages is just so blinding. To me, the icons look like stickers that were just slapped on top of the screen with no order whatsoever. Honestly, it just looks really ugly.