iOS7 Developer Build looks awful

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: iOS7 looks awful

I was actually impressed by what I saw during the keynote yesterday.

However, when I installed the beta on my phone, it was a different story. Phone running hot under light load, bugs, lagging and random reboots aside, the colours look very muted overall (nowhere near as sharp or vibrant as we were led to believe). Stuff like the opaque dock, the lack of translucency in menus, the blocky notification banners. I am not really getting much of a 3D parallax background effect either.

I am not sure if this means IOS7 is still a work in progress, or many of the new UI features will run properly only on the iphone5 onwards?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

I was actually impressed by what I saw during the keynote yesterday.

However, when I installed the beta on my phone, it was a different story. Phone running hot under light load, bugs, lagging and random reboots aside, the colours look very muted overall (nowhere near as sharp or vibrant as we were led to believe). Stuff like the opaque dock, the lack of translucency in menus, the blocky notification banners. I am not really getting much of a 3D parallax background effect either.

I am not sure if this means IOS7 is still a work in progress, or many of the new UI features will run properly only on the iphone5 onwards?

You do realize this is BETA 1 right? And that this is not a "ready for prime time" OS right? And that the reason apple charges $99 is to try and keep the beta out of non-serious non-developer types that will take every issue as if it were fully polished production released software right?

Oh wait... You really DON'T get it... smh

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site

You do realize this is BETA 1 right? And that this is not a "ready for prime time" OS right? And that the reason apple charges $99 is to try and keep the beta out of non-serious non-developer types that will take every issue as if it were fully polished production released software right?

Like how Siri and Maps were 'just in beta', right?

Then what the heck was Craig demoing on his iphone5 during the IOS7 keynote on Monday? How come they get one version and developers get another? At this point (~2 months before they start manufacturing the next iphone and installing IOS7 on them), IOS7 should be more or less ready for prime-time.

End_User

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

It looks a lot better with a darker wallpaper and the majority of the apple drawn icons hidden. Who really uses the apple apps anyway? (short of phone messages)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

That’s all the proof you should need, LCW ... SMH, too

Like how Siri and Maps were 'just in beta', right?

Then what the heck was Craig demoing on his iphone5 during the IOS7 keynote on Monday? How come they get one version and developers get another? At this point (~2 months before they start manufacturing the next iphone and installing IOS7 on them), IOS7 should be more or less ready for prime-time.

Abazigal:

You think they just went up there and played with the phone in a live demo? Trust me, that was rehearsed and tightly scripted. It’s not a different version, it’s just a very controlled environment. The final version of iOS 7 is nowhere in sight. Not even close... there will be at least 4 more beta release put out between now and the time that Apple releases the next iPhone... and the betas will come every 2/3/4 weeks, each building on the previous version along with fixes and tweaks.

BTW, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny aren’t real. Since we’re bursting your bubble, why hold back now?

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site

That?s all the proof you should need, LCW ... SMH, too

Abazigal:

You think they just went up there and played with the phone in a live demo? Trust me, that was rehearsed and tightly scripted. It?s not a different version, it?s just a very controlled environment. The final version of iOS 7 is nowhere in sight. Not even close... there will be at least 4 more beta release put out between now and the time that Apple releases the next iPhone... and the betas will come every 2/3/4 weeks, each building on the previous version along with fixes and tweaks.

BTW, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny aren?t real. Since we?re bursting your bubble, why hold back now?

Please, what variables are there between their iphones and mine?

I am talking about features which shouldn't show any differences across devices to begin with, since they don't depend on factors like internet speed or availability of servers.

This isn't about Siri not being used to my voice or me speaking to it wrong, or Maps not working well outside of the US. If you need a tightly controlled environment just to make basic features like control centre appear without any lag, then something is very wrong, isn't it?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Please, what variables are there between their iphones and mine?

I am talking about features which shouldn't show any differences across devices to begin with, since they don't depend on factors like internet speed or availability of servers.

This isn't about Siri not being used to my voice or me speaking to it wrong, or Maps not working well outside of the US. If you need a tightly controlled environment just to make basic features like control centre appear without any lag, then something is very wrong, isn't it?

Control center pops right up on my iPhone 5. No lag at all. Occasionally I get a springboard crash and get dumped back to the home screen, or experience a lag every now and then... but it’s actually pretty stable and generally very responsive for me.

But there are still some things that are set up or staged as best case scenarios - using local servers (backstage), and other tricks... not being deceptive as much as showing functionality of a raw features...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

This heating up issue I have yet to experience this beta is very stable IMHO.

People just need to complain.

Sent from the collector home world.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site

This heating up issue I have yet to experience this beta is very stable IMHO.

People just need to complain.

Well, I am simply calling it as I see it.

I have no doubts that improvements will be made down the road. I intend to upgrade my iphone later this year, and want ios7 to b a success as well.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Well, I am simply calling it as I see it.

I have no doubts that improvements will be made down the road. I intend to upgrade my iphone later this year, and want ios7 to b a success as well.

Fair enough you may be experiencing issues I'm not which in your previous post you stated you are which is a shame.

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

I really thought we would see actionable notifications, but alas, not yet.
Overall though, I was happy with what I saw, and feel it will be a nice improvement from 6 in many ways.

:)

Last edited:

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

I really thought we would see actionable notifications, but alas, not yet.
Overall though, I was happy with what I saw, and feel it will be a nice improvement from 6 in many ways.

:)

It's a very nice improvement from iOS 6 in terms of functionality and look within the apps but I've gone back to 6.1.4 because I couldn't stand the god awful icons (not just the colours but their shape) and that horrendous dock. I really tried to like them but i can't.

That dynamic wallpaper gets on my nerves too. They should at least have an option to turn it off.

jyoung

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

The new white theme background is disappointing. I frequently use my phone while in bed, checking news, etc and am afraid that the white background will be like a beacon in the night lighting up the room. I really like some of the options that have been added and/or refined but am not real excited about the background.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site

It's a very nice improvement from iOS 6 in terms of functionality and look within the apps but I've gone back to 6.1.4 because I couldn't stand the god awful icons (not just the colours but their shape) and that horrendous dock. I really tried to like them but i can't.

That dynamic wallpaper gets on my nerves too. They should at least have an option to turn it off.

It's called 'choosing a non-dynamic wallpaper'. :p

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Regardless of how the icons look, which I actually love (I know I'm in the minority big time) the use ability of ios7 is WAAAAY better than ios6

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

It's called 'choosing a non-dynamic wallpaper'. :p

The stills move around as well. Don't get me wrong iOS 7 is great I just feel that Ive took it a step to far with the icons and dock.

I will load up the gold master when it's available to give it another go.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

the mods should really close these types of threads. maybe people will get the hint

I hear ya, however, we have to respect the opinions of everyone within the boundaries of the Community Rules & Guidelines. 😉

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods