iOS7 Developer Build looks awful

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: iOS7 looks awful

There is an accessability option to invert colors which will switch it to a dark "theme" but you wouldn't want to use it unless you had to.

That is not a theme. And it only changes certain aspects of the OS.

And it does make things ****-ugly. Use it only if you must... it’s like looking at a old photographic film negative.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Hi all - I'm going to jump in here because I posted the same thoughts in another thread and have yet to recieve a response! :( I'm so with you though on it looking bad. Do you think?:

1. Is there going to be a new phone coming out? My old iphone 4s's screen cracked and I'm up for an upgrade to the 5 if I'd like. I'm wondering if I should just get the 5 with installing the new software in Fall or trying to work Verizon to let me work around upgrading a bit later for a possible new phone? Any ideas/suggestions?

2. Do you know if the app icons are customizeable to stay looking the way they are now vs. the new "flat" look?

3. Is the text message background customizable to not be all white with the blue and grey messages? I really like the look of the texting now. I'm also thinking the new layout will be too much white on an all white iphone.

4. I'm a female and have had a white iphone for the last few years but was thinking of switching to black cause it looks sleek and it's different. I've read that the black scratches easily with a case, etc. and that the paint isn't that great on the back. Have any of you had issues with this? Do you prefer black to white and why?

5. I wonder how the new screens will look against black. It'd be awesome to see someone who installed the beta by them maybe sending screen shots?

I look forward to your feedback and my new phone. Hoping to get it today sometime if you recommend that the 5 is the way to go!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jessica. I'm not as handy at breaking up quotes into sections so I'll answer the best I can by using the same numbers as your questions.

1. It is extremely likely a new phone will be released in September. Possibly early October. It will most likely be the iPhone 5s. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but Apple has released a new phone each year since 2007.

2. It is highly unlikely, I'd personally say no chance, it retaining current stock icons short of jail breaking if/when a JB is available for IOS 7.

3. So far it is not customizable. There has been whisper of a darker theme for the black iPhone but there is no proof of this.

4. I have black and I do have small blemishes where there was not a case covering the sides. Others have not had this happen. I have always had a black phone and may opt for white next, particularly if iOS 7 does not have an alternate dark theme.

5. I will post screenshots of the beta version on my black iPhone this evening :)

I would recommend the 5 to anyone. It's a great phone. If you are a person who would regret it once the next phone is available in what I believe will be Sept, then perhaps hold off.

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Before we saw what ios7 looked like, I knew it wouldn't please everybody. And the haters would keep hating, no matter how it looked. But boy oh boy, I did not expect something that.... Awful.

Seriously, what are they thinking? It looks like Touchwiz on meth. or one of those awful feature phone UIs you buy in Chinese Iphone knockoffs.

The colors are jarring and loud, the design goes in all directions, buttons you can't tell are buttons, and icons that either don't make sense, or look like they were designed by a four year old.

This designer believes that ios7 looks like it was designed by committee (https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/275a56688510) and he does have a point. It took a little bit of Windows Phone, some Meego and Palm, sprinkled some Android on top, and presto!

This isn't just about ios7 looking "different." Its a regression in many, many ways.

IOS 6 led where others followed. It was snazzy, elegant, beautiful but most of all unique and confident. iOS 7 on the other hand uses loud colors and loud effects without purpose. It borrows design elements here, there and everywhere, and follows where others are leading the charge.

iOS 5-6 were timeless. It would look good in any era, when you saw it for the first time. Ios7 on the other hand will ridiculous in a few years when the current "flat UI" craze is over. This is a fail on so many levels, and I for one won't upgrade.

You are absolutely right, people gonna hate, and you are hating on the new design and that is your right. I bet you though, most people are going to welcome the new look, Apple is not your average company, they have done their homework including focus and consumer groups and they know most people are going to like it.

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi Jessica. I'm not as handy at breaking up quotes into sections so I'll answer the best I can by using the same numbers as your questions.

1. It is extremely likely a new phone will be released in September. Possibly early October. It will most likely be the iPhone 5s. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but Apple has released a new phone each year since 2007.

2. It is highly unlikely, I'd personally say no chance, it retaining current stock icons short of jail breaking if/when a JB is available for IOS 7.

3. So far it is not customizable. There has been whisper of a darker theme for the black iPhone but there is no proof of this.

4. I have black and I do have small blemishes where there was not a case covering the sides. Others have not had this happen. I have always had a black phone and may opt for white next, particularly if iOS 7 does not have an alternate dark theme.

5. I will post screenshots of the beta version on my black iPhone this evening :)

I would recommend the 5 to anyone. It's a great phone. If you are a person who would regret it once the next phone is available in what I believe will be Sept, then perhaps hold off.

finn5975 - Thanks for the response! This definitely helps. I look forward to your screen shot tonight! :) Could you just inbox me?

Also, since we're thinking that the app colors, text screen, etc. will most likely not be customizable (not the end of the world I guess, lol), what are your thoughts on the color of phone that would look best with these new colors? Black or white? And why?

The reason I ask again is because I need to get a new phone pronto as mine has been acting up since screen cracked and I'd like to make sure I'm getting the color that would work best with ios7 since I'm stuck with it for another two years.

Thanks again!! :)

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

That is not a theme. And it only changes certain aspects of the OS.

Yes, I know, that's why I said it was an accessability option, that it merely inverted the colors, put "theme" in quotes, and said people wouldn't want to use it unless they had to.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

anyone judging iOS 7 without actually having seen and used it first hand has no credibility. i've been using it since yesterday - and while it's a big buggy - the usability is MUCH improved. The learning curve is nothing like that reported for BB10. Visual look is a personal preference. Don't like it? Stay with iOS 6 or go to Android/WP/BB10. I find the look to be great - less fluff. Better thought out usability. It's different, and for some may take some time to get used to, but in 6 months, it will be the new standard.

iOS 7 is imho a WIN... i've used, I like it, and can't wait for the future betas and the final release (which will also be when the next iphone hits :D )

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

I'm not crazy about the new icons, but they are necessary for that new gorgeous 3D look you're getting with the app transparency. Seeing it in the Keynote did not do it justice. It will blow you away, and you will quickly forget that the new icons were designed by the daycare children of Apple employees.

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

anyone judging iOS 7 without actually having seen and used it first hand has no credibility. i've been using it since yesterday - and while it's a big buggy - the usability is MUCH improved. The learning curve is nothing like that reported for BB10. Visual look is a personal preference. Don't like it? Stay with iOS 6 or go to Android/WP/BB10. I find the look to be great - less fluff. Better thought out usability. It's different, and for some may take some time to get used to, but in 6 months, it will be the new standard.

iOS 7 is imho a WIN... i've used, I like it, and can't wait for the future betas and the final release (which will also be when the next iphone hits :D )

LCW are you using a black or white phone? Just really curious to know how the new iOS software looks against a black phone vs. white as it seems with a white phone there may be TOO much white.

Thanks!

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see it on a device and experience the functionality. As we know, sometimes pictures don't do things justice and I cannot measure what "no longer user friendly" if I haven't actually used it yet. I am looking forward to the refresh. Maybe they could have made some different choices but again, I'll wait until I see it myself first.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

finn5975 - Thanks for the response! This definitely helps. I look forward to your screen shot tonight! :) Could you just inbox me?

Also, since we're thinking that the app colors, text screen, etc. will most likely not be customizable (not the end of the world I guess, lol), what are your thoughts on the color of phone that would look best with these new colors? Black or white? And why?

The reason I ask again is because I need to get a new phone pronto as mine has been acting up since screen cracked and I'd like to make sure I'm getting the color that would work best with ios7 since I'm stuck with it for another two years.

Thanks again!! :)

You're welcome :) One thing you can do is go to YouTube and search "iOS 7". It will give you a bunch of results of videos showing iOS 7 hands on demos on both the white and black phone versions. Gives a good idea how it looks in both!!

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

You're welcome :) One thing you can do is go to YouTube and search "iOS 7". It will give you a bunch of results of videos showing iOS 7 hands on demos on both the white and black phone versions. Gives a good idea how it looks in both!!

finn5975 - Good idea! I'm on lunch so I actually just did and I think it does look better against black. The white is almost toooooo bright. Nice that we have choices though, right? :)

One youtube video shows where you can enable or disable the flat app icons! I'm hoping this is true!

So I'm thinking I'll get black and hoping that with a good case and screen protector cover that it'll be "safe".

Thanks again!!!

DStLouis

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Looks like most of of you dont care much of what a smartphone could do, but are very critical of how it look.
Which is somehow funny because most of us are then just hiding it in a case.

It is well known that Apple are very very good putting a lot of "glitter" to attract consumers, which work very well, but they also need to bring up-to-date demanding functionalities.

So will the new iOS 7 delivered what it should delivered these days in term of functionalities? or is it more a make-up overall that will attract consumers ? I would personnaly bet that the 3D effect background will be a good sales force, ...but whats are real improvements ...things I need to be more productive.

On my opinion;
- I still having problems to figured out why there is still no native file manager in iOS? Why should we rely almost exclusively on Cloud, which became more and more questionnable about confidentiality and constantly requiring you to drain a lot of your data plans (when you still have connection available).

- Why is it so much a pain to attach a file to an email. Which generally requires to break the email chain by creating a new one.

- I'm also wondering why communications apps are still working in "silos"? All my communications (emails, BYOD email apps, message, sms, missed call....) are all spread over the phone/iPad. Yes there are notifications, but not much to do with it other then to be aware of new messages. So I have to stop what I was doing to jumps to the appropriate apps to full review, reply, and so.. Same for contacts I want them centralized, no longer spread over the phone (email, sms, phone, Facebook, Skype...)

- Why we still have to exit whatever we are doing in order to lets say reply to a text thread? Is the new mulltitasking feature enough ? I dont feel it will. Exiting whatever you are doing still look to be the way to access the multitasks cards.

- Why do they're are just turning their back to NFC. While it is not fully deployed yet, the all industries is going in that direction because of it's simplicity of use and level of security. When the new iPhone will be released it will be probably on the late side to bring it on (Note NFC and aluminum back cover is not a very good match).

iPhone/iPad are/was great devices, but their shine may keep decrease if they are not looking around themself and keep thinking (or make us believe) that what they offer are the only features we really need.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Apple is damned if they do something and damned if they didn't. Wouldn't you be complaining if things stayed the same? I would just be thankful they took the risk.

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Looks like most of of you dont care much of what a smartphone could do, but are very critical of how it look.
Which is somehow funny because most of us are then just hiding it in a case.

It is well known that Apple are very very good putting a lot of "glitter" to attract consumers, which work very well, but they also need to bring up-to-date demanding functionalities.

So will the new iOS 7 delivered what it should delivered these days in term of functionalities? or is it more a make-up overall that will attract consumers ? I would personnaly bet that the 3D effect background will be a good sales force, ...but whats are real improvements ...things I need to be more productive.

On my opinion;
- I still having problems to figured out why there is still no native file manager in iOS? Why should we rely almost exclusively on Cloud, which became more and more questionnable about confidentiality and constantly requiring you to drain a lot of your data plans (when you still have connection available).

- Why is it so much a pain to attach a file to an email. Which generally requires to break the email chain by creating a new one.

- I'm also wondering why communications apps are still working in "silos"? All my communications (emails, BYOD email apps, message, sms, missed call....) are all spread over the phone/iPad. Yes there are notifications, but not much to do with it other then to be aware of new messages. So I have to stop what I was doing to jumps to the appropriate apps to full review, reply, and so.. Same for contacts I want them centralized, no longer spread over the phone (email, sms, phone, Facebook, Skype...)

- Why we still have to exit whatever we are doing in order to lets say reply to a text thread? Is the new mulltitasking feature enough ? I dont feel it will. Exiting whatever you are doing still look to be the way to access the multitasks cards.

- Why do they're are just turning their back to NFC. While it is not fully deployed yet, the all industries is going in that direction because of it's simplicity of use and level of security. When the new iPhone will be released it will be probably on the late side to bring it on (Note NFC and aluminum back cover is not a very good match).

iPhone/iPad are/was great devices, but their shine may keep decrease if they are not looking around themself and keep thinking (or make us believe) that what they offer are the only features we really need.

Interesting that some of the things you list as necessary are in my opinion almost subjective. For example, I know everyone wants actionable notifications but I don?t. I don?t find it hard to touch the message when sends me into the app I look at the rest of the conversation for context and respond, after returning to my previous app via task switching. I rarely respond to stuff right away.

I do not under any circumstance what all my communications in one place a la Blackberry Hub. I get alot of stuff, and I don?t always have time to deal with it right away, haivng it all in one place would make a gigantic mess of everything.

I agree with the email attachments

The native file manager would not be something we might see in IOS soon, it is against their idea of what iOS should represent. I agree though, it is something I would like.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

LCW are you using a black or white phone? Just really curious to know how the new iOS software looks against a black phone vs. white as it seems with a white phone there may be TOO much white.

Thanks!

I have a black iPhone 5 that I'm running iOS 7. Would actually like to see it on a white one in person. My thought is almost the opposite... It might look even better on a white iPhone - with black there's a bigger contrast - which might be harder on the eyes than white on white...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

this thread makes me lol

The whole iOS 7 board makes me LOL... all these n00bs freaking out about this feature, that screen, this app, and OMG, the battery life sucks... The thing is, the mayhem is worse today than it was yesterday! I’m guessing that it will be worse tomorrow!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

The whole iOS 7 board makes me LOL... all these n00bs freaking out about this feature, that screen, this app, and OMG, the battery life sucks... The thing is, the mayhem is worse today than it was yesterday! I’m guessing that it will be worse tomorrow!

the mods should really close these types of threads. maybe people will get the hint

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

ABANDON SHIP! She's going down in flames folks!

Hindenburg_disaster.jpg

...or, don't.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2