Poll - How is the battery life of iOS 7 on your iPhone 5?

How is the battery life on your iPhone 5 with iOS 7?

• Good

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 69 54.8%
  • Still testing

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • other (let us know below)

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What difference does it make? You should only be installing iOS 7 to test your apps, not as your daily driver. At this point, battery is the least of the issues.

No need to be so snarky, geez.

Maybe some people like to install it to test out the new UI, or maybe a developer can't afford a second device for testing (did you even think of that?). The point is, this is a thread discussing how the battery life is on iOS 7 beta 1, and it's not really anyone's business *why* anyone has it on their iPhone. You're not the iOS police.

Snarky? She sounded like she was just telling the truth. And while Alli may not be the "iOS police", she carries a badge around iMore.

The fact is, this is a TEST version of iOS 7, and is intended to be a starting point for developers to begin testing their apps in the new environment. It is NOT driver device ready, nor should anyone expect it to be at this point.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Snarky? She sounded like she was just telling the truth. And while Alli may not be the "iOS police", she carries a badge around iMore.

The fact is, this is a TEST version of iOS 7, and is intended to be a starting point for developers to begin testing their apps in the new environment. It is NOT driver device ready, nor should anyone expect it to be at this point.

​Exactly. 100%

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Although I'm in agreement with your response, @park does have a point. It has been made perfectly clear here at iMore what "beta software" is and to whom iOS 7 Beta is intended for and its purpose. If non-developers opt to ignore the warnings and install it, it's their decision, their time, their risk and their loss if something goes wrong. In the meantime, let's attempt to answer any question we can....:)

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
For reals. Someone said they are stating the obvious,... Well obviously it's Beta why even ask the question. Sounds like someone was bored and ASKED the obvious. "How many bugs does it have?" A ton!!! It's beta. "Does your iPhone keep closing the apps" yes, it's Beta! Lol like wow. That's when you find out who's a developer/user with a purpose, and someone who understands that the unlock on an iPhone is cooler now. Lol

Park

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

Yes, replying to someone's question with "What difference does it make?" is definitely snarky. The "badge" of a mod on a forum doesn't mean anything in this context, and definitely doesn't mean Alli gets to tell anyone what they *should* or *shouldn't* be doing with their iPhone.

Look, everyone in this thread seems to understand that we're discussing the first beta of iOS 7, and no one has said they expect it to be ready for general release. If Alli was responding to someone who was complaining that beta 1 was not ready for prime time, then her comment would probably be warranted ... but that wasn't the case.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, replying to someone's question with "What difference does it make?" is definitely snarky. The "badge" of a mod on a forum doesn't mean anything in this context, and definitely doesn't mean Alli gets to tell anyone what they *should* or *shouldn't* be doing with their iPhone.

Look, everyone in this thread seems to understand that we're discussing the first beta of iOS 7, and no one has said they expect it to be ready for general release. If Alli was responding to someone who was complaining that beta 1 was not ready for prime time, then her comment would probably be warranted ... but that wasn't the case.

So, what we have here is simply a difference of opinion.

Bob Fish

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps more a difference in levels of tolerance.

Some say, "All I needed to know, I learned in kindergarten". To those, quite simply, when they don't have anything helpful, relevant, or nice to say, they say nothing.

Other less tolerant folks say that if they don't have anything nice, helpful, or useful to say, just yell at the person or question their intelligence.

I'd say your moderator is of the latter persuasion. Having read through the thread, I see no cause to question anyone's understanding of what constitutes a Beta, for whom the software was intended, or even whether the battery drainage "should" occur. I have seen, to date, just a group of users sharing their results, and perhaps hoping that someone might have a magic answer that would spare the rest of us a few hours searching through the settings to find the one or two buttons that might turn off a background task (or several) that would deliver "normal" battery life under this version of the beta software.

If this constitutes cause for being abused by one of your moderators, you may want to update your terms of use to include "random whippings for discussing what might be of distaste to a moderator in a bad mood."

Just a thought. Please resume your regularly scheduled activities.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
"If this constitutes cause for being abused by one of your moderators, you may want to update your terms of use to include "random whippings for discussing what might be of distaste to a moderator in a bad mood.""

If you consider having a post responded to with "What's the difference" as "abuse by one of [the] moderators", I think the term abuse needs to be redefined.

egrorgia7

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Have been on it since release day. No issues. Battery is fine. Probably about 1-2% an hour worse. You just need to let it die to calibrate it. Other than that. No real bugs that keep me from using it just fine every day. My 2cents.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Have been on it since release day. No issues. Battery is fine. Probably about 1-2% an hour worse. You just need to let it die to calibrate it. Other than that. No real bugs that keep me from using it just fine every day. My 2cents.

I believe I am in the same boat, been using it as my daily driver since the day of release .... I can't find myself going back to 6.1 anytime soon.

rj5570

May 5, 2010
Visit site
just weighing in here, my iphone 5 battery has been horrid since beta 2. no streaming or really heavy use and I am at 30% at noon. on beta 1 I would be like 70% by now.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
1. We need a new updated poll.

2. I am the complete opposite with battery. Beta 1 very very bad on battery. Beta 2, so far it is holding it's own weight.

mindfrost82

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
1. We need a new updated poll.

2. I am the complete opposite with battery. Beta 1 very very bad on battery. Beta 2, so far it is holding it's own weight.

Same here.

With Beta 2, I'm at 91% right now with 1 HR 12 MIN usage and 5 HR 9MIN standby.

Beta 1 would have been in the 70's already.

Tony Darcy

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I use it on my ipad mini and i have found that battery life is BETTER than ios 6 only by about 10% to 15% but still great but i can still find a few bugs in it only one crash since i got it 4 days ago wich is great but apps can crash quite often [every 2 hours on average] and my ipad isnt even heating up at all

peoplememe

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I am running on a brand new iPhone 4, just seeing how things run on iOS 7 as it will be the last major iOS update for its lifecycle and I am really impressed. I have not tried it on an iPhone 5 yet, but with everything constantly running, streaming movies in the background, and consistent intense games playing all day(from about 7-10), I only barely reach 30%, and that is when I TRY to kill the battery. It is literally impossible. I guess I am just one of the lucky beta testers, but I think Apple has done a great job this time around with its many reforms. Looking forward to future iOS 7 beta updates/initial release!:coffee:

Michael Brown10

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Bought an iphone 5 from ebay that had ios 7 beta 6 on it. Battery drained to 5% in less than 24 hours while setting (I didn't touch the iphone) I thought the battery was just old. I decided to restore it to ios 6.1.4 and the battery life has improved tremendously. I've been using it steadily for 3 days...playing music, surfing the web...etc and the iphone is still above 50% on the charge. I think I'll stick with ios 6 for now

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods