View Poll Results: iOS 7 looks to be pretty good

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Looks awesome

105 83.33%
  • Nope, I don't like it

21 16.67%
    I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the keynote last night. Through it all, only 2 things stood out as straight out borrowing:

1) The integration of the swipe in from left gesture into the OS to switch views. While the sliding pane concept itself isn't new, and could be found in various apps, BlackBerry was the first that I know of that made the gesture a key part of navigating and using the OS (they call it Peek and Flow). They hyped it in most of their recent keynotes.

2) The stock weather app in iOS7 looks a lot like a 3rd party BB10 app, Bellshare's Beweather 10.

That's it. Everything else that some of the CrackBerrians are crying foul over are things where BB themselves have drawn inspiration from others (ie. multitasking cards - WebOS)
    I am not familiar with the BlackBerry gesture you reference (been away from BB for about 5 years)... but the iOS 7 weather app is more similar to Yahoo! weather (which powers the iOS weather app, anyway)... weather apps are everywhere, and there’s is as much similarity as there are differences between weather apps...

The BB cries of "foul" is, IMHO, a failed attempt for them to become/remain relevant. Every mobile OS builds on something from somewhere else... that’s largely what FRAND patents are all about.
    06-11-2013 10:36 AM
    Purely about the looks:

Pros:
    - Typography within apps gorgeous

Cons:
    - Iconography poor
    - Control Center color scheme is hard to read
    - The thin black text over seas of white motif could be hard on my middle aged eyes after a while

And a big non-cosmetic pro that I rarely see discussed - the new backgrounding. Not the multitasking, but the ability for third party applications to register or push begin background tasks on a schedule. This is *huge* for a variety of third party applications.
    cardfan likes this.
    06-11-2013 12:17 PM
    Honeslty, I'm pleased to see some great changes with iOS7, but a little disappointed that there will not be a new iPhone to go along with the experience!

I'm stuck with my iPhone 5 and a fall upgrade approaching....sucks my device will lose a little bit more resale value waiting for a new phone from Apple. (I shouldnt be whining but I am )
    Could be worse. You could be in my position and stuck on the iPhone 4S until Fall. This is the lonnnngest time I've had a phone. Are you the type to upgrade every year?
    06-11-2013 12:37 PM
    I think Apple nailed it with IOS 7. I have only one true disappointment and that is lack of quick reply for text. Texting is what I do most on my phone. Not sure I will give up my jailbreak now.
    I'm sure you will for a taste of iOS 7, sir.
    06-11-2013 12:40 PM
    And a big non-cosmetic pro that I rarely see discussed - the new backgrounding. Not the multitasking, but the ability for third party applications to register or push begin background tasks on a schedule. This is *huge* for a variety of third party applications.
    I mentioned this in another thread, and I agree, this is a very welcome addition. This new API basically allows an app to do what it needs to, when it needs to be done, without affecting battery life. One thing that I think has always been understated is the way iOS handles background apps. Multitasking was a bit finicky, but with the new app previews that's much improved. But the background processing has always been there, and has always been, IMO, the best implementation available. Preserving battery life, while allowing for 95% of usage scenarios. And removing the burden of the "app purge" from the user.
    06-11-2013 12:41 PM
    Could be worse. You could be in my position and stuck on the iPhone 4S until Fall. This is the lonnnngest time I've had a phone. Are you the type to upgrade every year?
    The new phone should be out in the fall... so it’s a win for you, right? Wait a few months and get the latest/greatest?
    06-11-2013 12:49 PM
    The new phone should be out in the fall... so it’s a win for you, right? Wait a few months and get the latest/greatest?
    Fausty82, I did say "until fall". You basically repeated what I said.
    06-11-2013 12:55 PM
    Pros: Multitasking, Airdrop, icloud keychain, unlimited apps in folders, control center features
    Cons: Inconsistent UI (navigating inside apps), control center looks, the whole modern or metro look as opposed to elegant

I understand why Apple did the refresh and I can live with the change in looks. It's really nothing I personally wanted though.

I care about features though. But only if they offer new functions or make things easier. Some do, some don't. Photos app for example. No clue yet but it just looks more messy. If I want filters and all that, i'll download an app. The years of photos? I usually only keep recent ones. Safari looks a mess at the bottom UI wise and perhaps in usage as well..too much scrolling. Music gets pandora built in basically. Ok i guess but nothing really new.

As with iOS 6, it'll be the numerous small things that add up that will make the update worthwhile to lose my current jailbreak over. The worse than before redesign isn't one of them though. And of course, I know these things can change as Apple gets their feedback.
    06-11-2013 01:09 PM
    I don't understand why people get upset if Apple copied some features from Blackberry.
    Who the F cares? As long it benefits us, the users, then let the suits and ties from
    Blackberry and Apple handle that situation. They're the ones making money off of us
    and those of you who put your energy in defending large corporations that don't even
    know you exist. If it offends you that much, call the police.
    06-11-2013 02:13 PM
    Finally got it. My goodness. Apple has truly outdone themselves. This OS is nothing short of stunning. No laggyness for me, no battery drain, or over heat. Did force close on iMore app.. But nothing major. When the final build comes out, I guarantee it'll be perfection. Seriously, I love it.

And all the haters: the difference between your OS that you think Apple stole ideas from is; this is an iPhone, it's built to be stable, I'm not even going to get into the essay of Android errors they've slightly improved on through different desserts over the years. I guarantee there's an S4 out there that has already had its UI force close. As for BB, I loved my BBs when I had them. They were always good to me. But just because you guys got something fresh for once, does not mean it's an all out rant party as to what looks similar in iOS 7. Just be glad you've got something somewhat decent. Don't worry, Apple doesn't want anything from you.

Enjoy your iOS 7 all!!!!
    offdahglass and fridayxiii like this.
    06-11-2013 02:33 PM
    I downloaded the Beta Version of iOS 6 which ran with glitches, as a beta should, however once the final version of iOS6 got released, my battery was still messed up... My phone would die at between 12%-20% battery life on the final version.
    So im contemplating putting this new iOS7 beta version on my phone...
    Any suggestions?
    06-11-2013 02:43 PM
    I can't wait, man. This will be a lonnnnnnng summer with this 4S and I am waiting and didn't not upgrade to the 5 at all last month.
    06-11-2013 03:00 PM
    I think it looks great. It would look even better on a bigger screen. Bring it.
    06-11-2013 03:21 PM
    Saw someone post on MacRumors that you can now scan iTunes gift cards (vs. inputting the code w/ the keyboard). Just verified it's there. Had to punch in 2 codes just last week and was wishing for this!
    06-11-2013 03:57 PM
    iOS 7 looks really good on first impressions, so Apple really do look at what Jailbreak apps and other platforms have to offer, I thought they pretended they weren't there.
    Having these features designed in by Apple will make the implementation faultless and that's something to look forward to. Looks like no access to a file structure though. I'll still have my 4s to play with in Autumn and will consider sacrificing my Jailbreak to try it out.
    As they're paying attention with software you have to wonder if they're going to do the same with the hardware, I really hope they do.
    06-11-2013 04:12 PM
    I'm probably just restating previous comments, but I think it does look solid and I enjoy it.

I like the flatness, and (I think it was Alli who mentioned it) also enjoy the depth and dimension that going flat has added with the OS.

I also think it was time for a graphic overhaul. I find it refreshing. Yes it's different. Yes it's not what we're accustomed to, but is that a bad thing? For once we get a newer look other than what we were given back in 07. I also think this is the OS that should have launched with the iPhone 5 - it would have made the 5 seem like a new device and not just an elongated 4/4S.

To me it's a breath of fresh air that I think was needed at some point.
    06-11-2013 04:19 PM
    I'm super excited for iOS 7. It's just looks.. Amazing. I really like what they have done with it.

There is a video for iOS 7 over on Apple. Check it out if you haven't yet. It's worth the 6 minutes if your time.
    06-11-2013 04:30 PM
    I'm super excited for iOS 7. It's just looks.. Amazing. I really like what they have done with it.

There is a video for iOS 7 over on Apple. Check it out if you haven't yet. It's worth the 6 minutes if your time.
    06-11-2013 04:37 PM
    Does anyone know where us "non developer" folk and normies can get us a copy of iOS 7 without the whole udid ordeal? I remember doing it with iOS 6 but it took me a while researching to find it.
    06-11-2013 05:02 PM
    Does anyone know where us "non developer" folk and normies can get us a copy of iOS 7 without the whole udid ordeal? I remember doing it with iOS 6 but it took me a while researching to find it.
    You don't. The betas are tied to UDIDs and being a registered developer... when the Gold Master is released prior to public release... that may be an opportunity to snag & install the GM... I did that with iOS6.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    06-11-2013 05:08 PM
    I'm super excited for iOS 7.

Also, remember Jony Ive and team had only 7 months to get the beta out, so there will be a lot more polish to it before the official release. I'm hoping the new APIs allow interapp communication, haven't heard anything about that yet.
    06-11-2013 05:19 PM
    One feature I wish would have made it would have been an auto-rotate landscape mode like in the iPad.

Maybe by the final release this will happen *cross fingers*
    06-11-2013 10:13 PM
    i like iTunes Radio!
    swarlos likes this.
    06-11-2013 10:20 PM
    Looks great to me.
    Can't wait to use it.
    Good Luck
    06-11-2013 11:18 PM
    Is anyone dismayed that there is no way to get a quick idea of your overall schedule from your calender app in monthly view (as compared to fantastical, which uses coloured dots to give an indication of how packed your day is).
    06-12-2013 06:38 AM
160 ... 34567