Why is my iPhone only displaying numbers instead of names?

zmsox

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have the following problem.

I'm using an iPhone 5s with a Telenor Serbia SIM card. Telenor Serbia still have no iphone in his portfolio, so Telenor Serbia isn't a supported carrier. When I'm using this sim with my iphone and I am in my country all works proper. When I receive a call the iphone shows me the name.

But when I am outside my country, when I am in roaming, the iphone shows only the number, not the name anymore.

Last week I was in NYC. I bought an AT&T simcard there and put the sim in the iphone. I checked my last calls, before I put the sim from AT&T in the iphone, in my last calls list, I've only found the numbers, not the name. After putting the sim in, the numbers automatically switched to names :)

When I take out the sim and take my Telenor sim, the names switched to numbers :)

So I know know its a problem with the sim, with the unsupported carrier.

Maybe here some body knows how to fix that. I know that earlier we had to jailbreak the phone and to install some number format fix, but now I am on 7.1.1 and no jailbreak.

I also know that I can send some carrier files with iTunes to the iphone, but I don't know exactly how. Maybe I can create a file for the operator and then send it with iTunes you the iphone ?

Edit: carrier bundle :) that's what I need, maybe :)

Many thanks for your help.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Save all your number in the international format like +12123345678 where + is for 00. Even your local numbers in the international format.
Also turn off Dial assist which is found in settings>phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Have you ever connected your phone to iTunes while the AT&T sim was in the phone? Next time you do, I would reload the 5S software for the A1533 model (I'm assuming that's the one you have) and see if it installs the carrier bundle you need. I still think it has something to do with your contacts somehow not being linked to your iCloud account on the phone, though.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I think I am 99.99% sure in stating that, the way the OP has saved the numbers, is the culprit. Since the names are read off from the contact list in home country, but fail to recognise while outside, I can bet 1 slightly used Ipod touch clear case( free delivery in India), that he has not used the international format to save his numbers. In the home country, this is not a problem,since numbers are dialled locally and incoming call shows only the local number but when on roaming the international format is shown, failing to recognise numbers from the contact list.

In India our local numbers are 8 digits like 24449819. To dial from landline, we dial only the 8 digits, but from a cellphone, we need to prefix city code like 022 24449819.
If I save in my contacts as 022 24449819, within India I can see the contact name, but once out of India the same shows as incoming from +9122 24449819, thus failing to recognise from my contact list which is saved as 022 24449819.

All my numbers are saved as +912224449819, which eliminates the above issue.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I know that some cellphone providers, like Rogers/Fido in Canada (but not my own provider TELUS nor Bell), do forward the caller's name to a cellphone via Caller ID. I also do that it's most likely to work in local areas, but not in long distance, and even less likely for international calls, as it requires an additional lookup in the telephone directory by your provider.

Now, I don't know if AT&T has provisions for that part of the Caller ID service, and I don't even imagine how that would work on international roaming.

zmsox

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
All numbers are saved international.

The problem is the following:

Telenor Serbia isn't a supported carrier, this carrier don't sells the iphone like Vodafone o2 etc.

So when I am in Serbia and somebody calls me, I will see his name on the display. As soon as I am in roaming, for example us Germany etc, the iphone will shows only the number, not the name.

Earlier we fixed that with number fix from cydia, but now we cannot fix that. I thought maybe it's possible to fix that with the carrier bundle file.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
:straight-face:If Telenor serbia isn't a supported carrier, as you put it, how do you see names in your home country? If it was a carrier problem, you wouldn't have seen names when using Telenor Serbia to begin with.
There are no carrier bundle files of ios. That is specific to blackberry.
If your phone is unlocked and you get your carriers signal, their job ends there. There shouldn't be anything like carrier support or no carrier support.
When you are on a roaming network, you home network has no role to play in it. It switches over to the selected roaming network completely ( except billing info) , which is shared.

Your problem has something to do with the numbering format, rather than any network or carrier issues.

zmsox

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
There are carrier bundles for iOS. You can create it. But only for apn etc.

The problem is the following. When you have a carrier who isn't supported from apple his side, when you are Roming you will see only numbers. When you In your country you will see names.

When you receive a call, you see only the number, then you can click on the number from the call list, and send a SMS , when the iphone opens the SMS app, you see then the name :) so the format is correct :)

Edit

I will post later a short video with some pics :)

Last edited:

zmsox

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok... Here we go. Attached are two pics.

On the one you will see names, it's when I am on Telenor Serbia in my country, the second one, you will see only numbers, all these numbers are also saved in the cloud international format, but when I am in roaming, the iphone will not show the name it will show only the number

6e3ege8u.jpg
a8a2u7ep.jpg

zmsox

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
thanks to the jailbreak :)
used the caller id fix for iOS 5 from big boss and now everything is perfect.

zmsox

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
thanks to the jailbreak :)
used the caller id fix for iOS 5 from big boss and now everything is perfect.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods