How often do you clear the multitasking?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The multitasking was created for some purposes, abilities to switch between open apps, and of course ability to kill app. In the past I have done some experiments on my iPhone, at that time running ios 6 to monitor how the iPhone 4S was handling the ram memory with load of apps opened and I realized that the more apps were open in the background the more less free ram the iPhone was left with, while this is good for quick app relaunching, the device was struggling to handle some more heavy apps live iMovie or Keynote likes apps, the struggle was noticeable as the app would take time before giving go to user to interact with, of course iPhone 4S is 500Mb of ram but the apps are built in consideration to that. But when there was nothing in the multitask, iMovie would lunch quicker and work faster.
An app which struggle to free some ram in order to operate properly is likely to drain power. The app that was not in the multitasking and is just lunch will also drain some power, but the things is I don't very often heavy apps to want to have a lot of free ram for the app to run quicker rather than the app first freeing memory before loading completely, so I've decided to not mind about opened apps in the multitasking and have them ready for next use. Also I made sure to disable the background app refresh so they do not just eat up memory, but also keep the CPU busy by refreshing every so often causing my battery to drain more faster. Since then, I was set and things just work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with your experiment but disabling app refresh is where I disagree

That said if Apple gave us the option to work right out of the multitasking tray when we wake up our device eliminating the double home button press I would welcome it

Last edited:

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I clear it after every session. The only apps which keep running in the background are phone and SMS

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know that it uses more battery to close and reopen them. I'm keeping them open now. :) I usually just close them without even thinking about it. Its programmed into my head to close them. :p

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I clear mine whenever I restart the phone (which is more often than I would like, but not as bad as 7.0.x was). I will also clear certain apps if I know I'll be in a low signal area, just in case background updates would try to occur (eg. Tweetbot). (I also close Facebook after every time I open it, even though I have it set to not update in the background. I'm both paranoid about that app (it may very soon just go away as I'm not a big user) and concerned about battery life (yes, even though background is turned off).) I also will very rarely clear it if I notice things are slow (without doing the reset). But otherwise, I don't obsess over it.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The only time that I clear Multi Tasking is when the Location Services icon is showing when I am not in a app that uses it. (This usually makes the icon disappear) however aside from that I would say that it is very rare for me close apps via multi tasking.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh I hardly ever do. The phone manages resources so well I don't feel the need to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's no need for me to clear it all just to be clearing it. The iPhone manages RAM rather well. I do run into specific issues where I may delete a background app, but it takes more battery to restart than to let it run.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I do it every time I put the phone down

Sent from my iPhone 5S
using Tapatalk

This is what I do also. I didn't know that closing apps drains the battery faster. Does anyone have an official article or link to confirm this? This is my first time hearing/seeing these statements.

FrodoBaggins

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I might just be a tad pedantic but I tend to close my apps by simply opening the multitasking in the app and swiping them away right there, then returning to the home screen. From reading this thread, I gather that the memory management is quite good so I guess I'll try and stop doing this - also means the home button will last twice as long!

xStagGx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I do it every time I stop using an app. Bad habit from android, tho - becouse from one hand I know that iOS has good ram/battery management, but in other hand I'm afraid that if I would not do so, it would affect battery life ;/ I have 150 apps, so I wouldn't mind having them all on multitasking....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner