What you need to do, is turn off Background App Refresh for all apps. Turn off Auto Updates for App Store. They update during the night. Turn off location services for Facebook and Twitter. I go to bed with 100% charge. I wake up with between 97% and 100% charge. I do not delete the background apps. The iPhone manages RAM very well. Starting the apps back up takes more battery than just leaving them be.
    07-28-2014 01:53 AM
    Thanks for the links....GREAT info.
    07-28-2014 10:08 AM
    What you need to do, is turn off Background App Refresh for all apps. Turn off Auto Updates for App Store. They update during the night. Turn off location services for Facebook and Twitter. I go to bed with 100% charge. I wake up with between 97% and 100% charge. I do not delete the background apps. The iPhone manages RAM very well. Starting the apps back up takes more battery than just leaving them be.
    For some reason Skype icon badges don't work with Background App Refresh Disabled. It will still show the notification on lockscreen and in the notification centre, but the icon badge only works when Background App Refresh is enabled for this app. I turned the option off for all other apps and would love to do so for Skype as well, but I can't find a workaround for this..

Still on Skype version 5.1.260 as the latest has terrible user reviews (two stars average).
    Apologies for being slightly offtopic.
    07-28-2014 05:46 PM
    For some reason Skype icon badges don't work with Background App Refresh Disabled. It will still show the notification on lockscreen and in the notification centre, but the icon badge only works when Background App Refresh is enabled for this app. I turned the option off for all other apps and would love to do so for Skype as well, but I can't find a workaround for this..

Still on Skype version 5.1.260 as the latest has terrible user reviews (two stars average).
    Apologies for being slightly offtopic.
    That's odd. Try turning background app refresh off for Skype. Then delete Skype by making the apps wiggle and tap the x. Then reinstall Skype. Check to make sure refresh is off. See what happens. Notifications and background app refresh should not be dependent on one another. I never heard of that with any app.
    07-28-2014 06:03 PM
    Did so last night, no luck. If I enter skype and exit real quick, it will then show the app badge. I've turned off background app refresh completely anyway as I forgot of the added benefit that it disables geofencing =)
    Last edited by Scorpion667; 07-31-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    07-30-2014 02:06 PM
    I clear everything whenever I know I won't be touching the phone for a while. Like before bed for example.

I will also immediately clear apps that uses GPS or games.

Other than that I just leave it be since iOS handles those pretty well. And I have background app refresh set up the way I like it already so I know there won't be any apps running in the background when they aren't supposed to.
    kataran likes this.
    07-30-2014 06:21 PM
    I think skype is almost always running in the background, cuz when is it in the multitasking even i dont use the phone the usage is growing, i quited the app from the multitasking and it goes back to normal, someone else?
    07-31-2014 10:02 AM
    Once every day and then I reboot the device (both iPhone and iPad). This helps conserve more battery power during the day.

Sent from my iOS device using iMore Forums
    07-31-2014 05:23 PM
    Rarely, if ever. I leave background app refresh on for most apps (unless they're something power-hungry like Skype or Facebook). I always have Facebook Paper, Safari, and iMore Forums open. Other apps I open and close as I need.

As a rule, to conserve battery life, if there's an app that I use constantly all day, it stays in the MT all day, and lesser-used apps I jettison if I spend an hour without switching to them.

I never really "clear" my MT window. Always leave some apps open.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    08-11-2014 11:23 PM
    Soon as I'm finished doing whatever it is I'm using em for. Usually I'll have 4-5 open at once. Battery sees normal use still to me

Tapatalk'n On The 5s
    08-12-2014 02:57 AM
    I do it once every few days, on average.
    08-12-2014 05:29 AM
    Maybe once every week? Maybe less.

Sent from my iPad
    08-20-2014 05:23 PM
    I clear mine away after I have finished using that app. I rarely leave apps open except whatsapp and whatever music app I am using at the time.
    08-22-2014 04:35 AM
    I let the operating system handle apps. Closing apps from the app switcher doesn't stop them from using data.
    08-24-2014 10:43 PM
    Probly after a couple of days but generally leave it alone.

Only thing I close is fb and twitter straight away.
    08-26-2014 03:03 AM
    Close them when I notice any lag and want to try to help the os along with making things roll along smoothly. I have noticed a difference when not closed bs let em build up over the course of a week.
    08-27-2014 02:21 PM
    I never close them unless they stop working and I need to restart it. I rarely reboot it either and I get pretty good battery life

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app
    kataran likes this.
    09-12-2014 11:11 AM
    I never close them unless they stop working and I need to restart it. I rarely reboot it either and I get pretty good battery life

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app
    I am in the same boat here. I don't see a need to close apps unless they are acting up or stop working.
    09-20-2014 09:42 AM
    I clear a few apps because I have cydia substrate running.
    09-29-2014 05:28 PM
    I clear a few apps because I have cydia substrate running.
    What, may I ask, is a cydia substrate? It sounds mysterious!
    10-12-2014 05:59 PM
    What, may I ask, is a cydia substrate? It sounds mysterious!
    It's the base code of Cydia, which is the jailbreak repository.
    10-12-2014 06:09 PM
    Rarely, if ever.
    10-12-2014 06:15 PM
    Since I have cydia subsrate running I quit apps sometimes.
    10-12-2014 10:23 PM
    It's the base code of Cydia, which is the jailbreak repository.
    Oh, very interesting. I have been googling all day the definition of substrate and nothing computer or software related comes up, so I freaked.
    10-14-2014 01:42 PM
    I'm curious, if clearing the tray is detrimental to the phones performance and battery life and if the phone manages the RAM automatically I wonder why Apple even included the option to close apps. Seems it would have been better to eliminate that all together.
    10-14-2014 02:12 PM
80 1234