I didn't know that it uses more battery to close and reopen them. I'm keeping them open now. I usually just close them without even thinking about it. Its programmed into my head to close them.
    06-08-2014 02:21 PM
    I clear it just about every hour.
    06-23-2014 01:22 AM
    Lately I find myself clearing multitasking before bed at night

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
    06-23-2014 05:06 AM
    I clear it just about every hour.
    That's two extra home button presses an hour that's unnessasary button wear that's not needed

Just something to think about
    06-24-2014 05:47 PM
    I clear mine whenever I restart the phone (which is more often than I would like, but not as bad as 7.0.x was). I will also clear certain apps if I know I'll be in a low signal area, just in case background updates would try to occur (eg. Tweetbot). (I also close Facebook after every time I open it, even though I have it set to not update in the background. I'm both paranoid about that app (it may very soon just go away as I'm not a big user) and concerned about battery life (yes, even though background is turned off).) I also will very rarely clear it if I notice things are slow (without doing the reset). But otherwise, I don't obsess over it.
    06-28-2014 04:57 PM
    The only time that I clear Multi Tasking is when the Location Services icon is showing when I am not in a app that uses it. (This usually makes the icon disappear) however aside from that I would say that it is very rare for me close apps via multi tasking.
    06-28-2014 05:21 PM
    Oh I hardly ever do. The phone manages resources so well I don't feel the need to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    kataran likes this.
    06-28-2014 08:30 PM
    There's no need for me to clear it all just to be clearing it. The iPhone manages RAM rather well. I do run into specific issues where I may delete a background app, but it takes more battery to restart than to let it run.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    kataran and Anthonyiamador like this.
    06-29-2014 12:44 AM
    Never.
    07-23-2014 05:36 PM
    I do it every time I put the phone down

Sent from my iPhone 5S
    using Tapatalk
    This is what I do also. I didn't know that closing apps drains the battery faster. Does anyone have an official article or link to confirm this? This is my first time hearing/seeing these statements.
    Sekelani Zwambila likes this.
    07-23-2014 05:56 PM
    Yeah. I've never herd of this either. Wouldn't lmake sense

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    07-23-2014 05:58 PM
    Never. No reason to.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    07-23-2014 08:34 PM
    When I think about it which isn't often
    07-23-2014 08:50 PM
    I clear mine every chance I get. I don't like to have a lot of apps open.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.
    Spencerdl and xStagGx like this.
    07-23-2014 08:57 PM
    I might just be a tad pedantic but I tend to close my apps by simply opening the multitasking in the app and swiping them away right there, then returning to the home screen. From reading this thread, I gather that the memory management is quite good so I guess I'll try and stop doing this - also means the home button will last twice as long!
    Spencerdl and kataran like this.
    07-24-2014 06:24 AM
    I do it every time I stop using an app. Bad habit from android, tho - becouse from one hand I know that iOS has good ram/battery management, but in other hand I'm afraid that if I would not do so, it would affect battery life ;/ I have 150 apps, so I wouldn't mind having them all on multitasking....
    07-24-2014 11:14 AM
    2 or 3 times a day, so it doesn't drain battery, mostly if using apps that utilizes GPS.

07-24-2014 08:15 PM
    I clear it every time I exit an app, unless I need to have Safari and the App store and Youtube open at the same time. I usually clear it all the time, except in that situation
    07-24-2014 08:38 PM
    iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.3

Never touched multitasking pane once. Only switched between apps via Zephyr.
    Obviously to get this kind of battery life I had to disable a lot of syncs, this was more of an experiment than anything. LTE and wifi was always enabled and obviously I used wifi at home/work.

88 hours standby:
    How often do you clear the multitasking?-img_0561.png

As you see there really isn't much, if any, battery life benefit from closing apps.

With full syncs I got ~48 hours per charge, same as my 5s on 7.1.2
    I don't find any difference in battery life between 5 and 5s to be honest. I simply wish I could put 6.1.3 on my 5s =P it's a snappier OS.

I agree that devices slow down when they are kissing the RAM ceiling constantly. Recently I've been using CCToggles to kill all apps except for the ones I specify. I excluded all my messaging and social apps which sync, those are never killed by the command.
    Last edited by Scorpion667; 07-24-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    07-24-2014 08:46 PM
    Only specific apps for specific reasons. The iPhone manages RAM rather well. It's best to leave the background apps be for the most part. When an app gets closed, it takes more resources to start it back up than if you just leave it alone. There are a few exceptions that are last resorts to solve issues.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    07-25-2014 01:35 AM
    Only specific apps for specific reasons. The iPhone manages RAM rather well. It's best to leave the background apps be for the most part. When an app gets closed, it takes more resources to start it back up than if you just leave it alone. There are a few exceptions that are last resorts to solve issues.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    Hmmm...good to know. What apps are the best to leave open in the background? I usually just clear everything out when I finish.
    07-25-2014 02:05 AM
    I typically clear them once or twice a day. There's really only about 4 or 5 apps I even open throughout the day. Interesting to see other peoples theories as well though.

07-25-2014 02:10 AM
    I do it every time I stop using an app. Bad habit from android, tho - becouse from one hand I know that iOS has good ram/battery management, but in other hand I'm afraid that if I would not do so, it would affect battery life ;/ I have 150 apps, so I wouldn't mind having them all on multitasking....
    UPDATE:
    Well, yesterday I stopped clearing the multitasking window. At night I turned on Irplane node on, and after 10hrs phone drained 11% battery. - about 12 apps were in multitasking. Usually, when I was clearing multitasking, phone didn't drained even a single percent.

Seems like cleaning MT window each time I stop using an app is best choise for battery life.
    07-25-2014 04:54 AM
    I typically clear it before bed!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    billyboydoy likes this.
    07-27-2014 07:31 AM
    This is what I do also. I didn't know that closing apps drains the battery faster. Does anyone have an official article or link to confirm this? This is my first time hearing/seeing these statements.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Internet search is your friend.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 07-28-2014 at 01:40 AM. Reason: clairty
    Spencerdl likes this.
    07-28-2014 01:37 AM
80 1234