Do you feel compelled to update your device as soon as one comes available?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I often have a difficult time holding off to update my devices. I trust Apple so there's no issue there but some believe that if it's not broke don't fix it

What's your take on updates??

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Most of the time, I am aware of an update via this site or another website that I may read at work...but I will forget about updating for a bit. Unless there is something I am dying to have via the update (like with 7), or really want fixed, I won't rush to update. The other day, my phone actually prompted me to update; a notification popped up stating anupdate was available and asked if I would like to do so. This is the first time I have seen that on my phone; normally I go into settings and seek out the update.

ctl904

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I personally update as soon as one is available simply as an OC-type thing. I can't stand not having the most current version of something on my devices if I have the ability to update it. So I update whether the supposed fixes apply to me or not.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The small fixes I update immediately. The big ones I hang back and read the user reviews first, then update.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I always update as soon as possible no matter what. I trust Apple to get it right the first time and they usually do. The updates always improve the experience for me except for the little crashing hiccup ios 7 had.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I usually update OTA immediately and then do a clean install via iTunes later that day or the next day or so.

hallda01

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious how the Mobile Nations crowd compares with the real world one this. I've always been compulsive about updating all of my devices whenever something new comes out. Meanwhile I had to do something on my bosses iPhone yesterday and he's still on iOS 6 because he doesn't want to mess with anything and then find he no longer knows how to use it.

And it's not just him, I saw KitKat was out the other day for my wife's HTC One and went to upgrade it, only to find that she hadn't updated to 4.3 yet; so I had to update to that then wait a day to get it to KitKat. Then yesterday I saw just a pile of apps that needed updating on her phone. I'm sure that the members of this and other Mobile Nations sites will agree; that would annoy the ever loving hell out of me.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I usually update ASAP. Have never regretted it and haven't done a clean install in two or three updates now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I update when I can at home after I finish a manual iCloud backup. I do this after finding out what the update does and I do it at home so I know I have access to another number while the update installs.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I always update right away. I want the latest and greatest out there. I have a friend that never updates until I get ahold of her phone.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I update as soon as I see it posted on twitter or on this site. All updates have been OTA and only had 1 problem 2-3 years ago with an iPhone that was overheating to the point that I couldn't even touch it. The apple store replaced it for free and said it was a corrupt update. Don't even remember the last time I did a clean install on either mine or any others that I manage for people at the office. Kids don't even use iTunes on their laptops and do everything OTA.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I update as soon as I see it posted on twitter or on this site. All updates have been OTA and only had 1 problem 2-3 years ago with an iPhone that was overheating to the point that I couldn't even touch it. The apple store replaced it for free and said it was a corrupt update. Don't even remember the last time I did a clean install on either mine or any others that I manage for people at the office. Kids don't even use iTunes on their laptops and do everything OTA.
I agree that the use of iTunes or even a clean install is not necessary for the most part, but it is a preference of mine and others. Thank GOD for choice, right?...:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711