What's the benefit of background app refresh

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I have it set to on on several apps, such as Facebook. I don't see any difference on Facebook. When I open the app I still have to wait for the updates to load. So what exactly does background app refresh do?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Certain tasks or services can continue to run in the background. To lessen the affect on battery life, normal app background refreshing is scheduled for efficient times, such as when your device is connected to Wi-Fi, plugged into a power source, or being actively used.

You can adjust your apps' background activity in Settings > General > Background App Refresh.

When Background App Refresh is on, apps that take advantage of this feature can refresh themselves in the background. For example, an app can check if new content is available and download the updates, or retrieve the updated content in the background when it receives a push notification, so the new content is ready for viewing when you launch the app. Apps can also schedule background refreshing based on your location.

iOS learns patterns based on your use of the device and tries to predict when an app should be updated in the background. It also learns when the device is typically inactive, such as during the night, to reduce update frequency when the device not used.

Which means if you close an App it really is not helping......

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
That's a fair question. I have experienced one example myself where it does make a difference if swifched on or off: Nike Running. Had background app refresh switched off (to save battery), went for a run and later wanted to look at the map to check out my route. Turns out it had only located my position the few times I switched the iPhone on to skip a track during the run. So yeah the route was nonsense and running time a few seconds. No background app refresh, no Nike Running. Other than that I have no concrete examples either. In most cases it doesnt noticeably affect the App.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know that's the theory, but I have never actually witnessed this happening with my apps.

Some apps can continue to run for a short period of time and are then set to a suspended state so they are not actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. They will instantly launch when you return to them.
Certain tasks or services can continue to run in the background. To lessen the effect on battery life, normal app background refreshing is scheduled for efficient times, such as when your device is connected to Wi-Fi, plugged into a power source, or being actively used.
iOS learns patterns based on your use of the device and tries to predict when an app should be updated in the background. It also learns when the device is typically inactive, such as during the night, to reduce update frequency when the device is not in use.

Source:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've never noticed any difference. Not even with the weather apps. So to save battery, I don't use Background App Refresh. It eats battery.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
So far, no one has really experienced Background Refresh actually making a difference. Lets hear from people who have. So I ask anyone who has noticed Background Refresh making a difference to please post your experiance please. As it looks right now, its just a battery eater and would probably benefit the User to just have it turned off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2