I just started to have this problem yesterday. I have an outlined white location services icon that won't shut off. I rebooted.i close all apps. I have never had this issue. Can anyone help?
    03-30-2014 10:23 AM
    I just started to have this problem yesterday. I have an outlined white location services icon that won't shut off. I rebooted.i close all apps. I have never had this issue. Can anyone help?
    Try this: Go to Settings - Privacy - Location Services - System Services and then disable the following (Unless you need them)
    1. Compass Calibration
    2. Diagnostic & Usage
    3. Location-Based iAds
    4. Popular Near Me

Also turn OFF "Frequent Locations".
    frozzy24 likes this.
    03-30-2014 10:42 AM
    They are all off. This just started yesterday and I can't get it to stop.
    03-30-2014 11:27 AM
    I just turned it completely off. Turned it back on. It cane back. Now that?
    03-30-2014 11:30 AM
    I figured it out but I'm not sure what it means. I had one app that was using what is called a geo-fence. As soon as I turn that off and location services it went off. So, what does that all mean?
    03-30-2014 11:43 AM
    I am going to say that : have never heard of that term. However quick Google search found this on Wikipedia

Geo-fence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also found to make more sense in this:
    "Geo-fencing (geofencing) is a feature in a software program that uses the global positioning system (GPS) or radio frequency identification (RFID) to define geographical boundaries. A geofence is a virtual barrier. Programs that incorporate geo-fencing allow an administrator to set up triggers so when a device enters (or exits) the boundaries defined by the administrator, a text message or email alert is sent. Many geo-fencing applications incorporate Google Earth, allowing administrators to define boundaries on top of a satellite view of a specific geographical area. Other applications define boundaries by longitude and latitude or through user-created and Web-based maps.
    The technology has many practical uses. For example, a network administrator can set up alerts so when a hospital-owned iPad leaves the hospital grounds, the administrator can disable the device. A marketer can geo-fence a retail store in a mall and send a coupon to a customer who has downloaded a particular mobile app when the customer (and hissmartphone) crosses the boundary.
    Geo-fencing has many uses including:
    Use Example
    Fleet management When a truck driver breaks from his route, the dispatcher receives an alert.
    Human resource management An employee smart card will send an alert to security if an employee attempts to enter an unauthorized area.
    Compliance management Network logs record geo-fence crossings to document the proper use of devices and their compliance with established rules.
    Marketing A restaurant can trigger a text message with the day's specials to an opt-in customer when the customer enters a defined geographical area.
    Asset management An RFID tag on a pallet can send an alert if the pallet is removed from the warehouse without authorization.
    Law enforcement An ankle bracelet can alert authorities if an individual under house arrest leaves the premises.:
    Hope these will help especially the last one.
    03-30-2014 10:14 PM
    In other words, a location based reminder. Thanks!
    04-02-2014 06:24 PM