iOS 7.1 is live

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Any one notice the short jarring jolt of a vibration that happens every time a message is received in iMessage while using the app? It was a longer vibration in 7.0 and it didn't bother me but the short jolt in 7.1 just annoys the heck out of me.

Through settings I was able to disable vibration when iMessage is closed but I'd prefer the opposite! Stop jolting me with a vibration when I can see that a message came.

Inspired by the following quote, "You should never prompt the user for something that the computer can figure out on its own."

You shouldn't bug the user with vibrations if the user is actively using the app. Unless they're playing Operation.

Anyone know how to turn this off?

I noticed this too and thought maybe it was a bug (that they shortened the vibration). I prefer the longer vibration like you...the short one now just seems...odd. Like it's a tic of some sort rather than a way of notifying you. It's definitely not something I can hear/feel as easily if I were to set the phone down while I was in the Messages app. I wish they implemented finer toggles for notifications but oh well. I don't think there's a way to turn it off, short of turning off vibration altogether.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Something weird just happened with my home screen. Right after I updated I had a ribbon across the bottom of the home screen that was different from the wallpaper. I turned the "reduce transparency" setting to off and it went away. The wallpaper was full screen. Now that I've changed my wallpaper I can't make that ribbon on the bottom go away!!

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Something weird just happened with my home screen. Right after I updated I had a ribbon across the bottom of the home screen that was different from the wallpaper. I turned the "reduce transparency" setting to off and it went away. The wallpaper was full screen. Now that I've changed my wallpaper I can't make that ribbon on the bottom go away!!

Screen shot?

nomoregames

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
That solid gray part at the bottom wasn't there after the update. When I changed my wallpaper it appeared.

Thats normal on 7.0.6 too.....
u5aqyqap.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It was there before. Here's a couple of screen shots of my screen before on iOS 7.0.6 and after the update.

Before:
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1394650307.645784.jpg
After:
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1394650338.879429.jpg

Last edited:

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
No, it wasn't there. I was using the blue wallpaper with the orange fade at the bottom. It definitely wasn't there. I changed to the carbon fiber and it has been there since no matter what wallpaper I use. Oh we'll, I guess I'm stuck with it now.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from Beta 5 and really like the finished product 7.1. The things that I don't care for is the small photo for phone calls. I also liked being able to see a full screen photo of the contact. The other issue I have is the iPhone calendar. You have three choices: year, month or month with day's agenda below. This is an improvement over 7.0, but during beta testing I discovered a full-screen agenda (the icon was three parallel lines only, at the top), day view and week view showed up when I first entered the app. But once I touched the three lines in the agenda view, I was back to the basic three options with no way to get back to the full-screen agenda view, day view or week view. I know somehow those were in the Beta 5 OS7.1, but there was/is no way to access them.

I also opted to make the type face bold. It's so much easier to read that I was able to reduce the text size. Great move!

Chrysalis1156

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from Beta 5 and really like the finished product 7.1. The things that I don't care for is the small photo for phone calls. I also liked being able to see a full screen photo of the contact. The other issue I have is the iPhone calendar. You have three choices: year, month or month with day's agenda below. This is an improvement over 7.0, but during beta testing I discovered a full-screen agenda (the icon was three parallel lines only, at the top), day view and week view showed up when I first entered the app. But once I touched the three lines in the agenda view, I was back to the basic three options with no way to get back to the full-screen agenda view, day view or week view. I know somehow those were in the Beta 5 OS7.1, but there was/is no way to access them.

I also opted to make the type face bold. It's so much easier to read that I was able to reduce the text size. Great move!

Don't know whether this is what you're talking about or not but if I open the Calendar app & choose the plain month view without the agenda at the bottom & then select a day, the three lines icon shows up at the top & if I select it I get the agenda view by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

kingofkats

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
TOUCH ID WORKS AT LAST and if that were the only improvement would still be breaking out the hats and hooters for iOS 7.1. Must understand, this user endured 5 complete reinstalls from scratch -- downloading 300+ apps and organizing them into folders, app by app -- and 3 new iPhones, plus the hypertension from telling various Genii "Yes, I tried that three times" while maintaining a winning smile, and then telling them, "Sorry, problem isn't solved yet, is it?" until they exchanged my phone. Plus, subscribed to one of the longest recent threads on the apple user forums and contributed to it frequently, asserting many times "This has to be a software bug," because it bore every sign of same. Now that it's fixed would love to know what they did. Guessing it had something to do with security loops. If your fingerprints change just a bit between logins, it logs this to a cache in the processor -- but if they change too much, or change a just a bit after a specified learning period, the program hollers "HACKER!" whereupon it deletes the entire chache and makes you start all over again. That's just a guess, but if it's true, then it would explain why you could give the program LESS fingerprint data at the start wuth an interesting hack and thereby buy a few hours of retention. (Will spell out how this was down for anyone who still cares.) In any case, prior to 7.1, could only make Touch ID work for 24 hours max, whereupon it would fail UTTERLY. Now its been 36 hours without a re-train. HOORAY!
Other improvements noticed include much faster speed on the iPhone 5S (but not on the two new iPads, seemingly -- why?), better mechanics for the various swipes and improved email niceties. Very pleased indeed and can finally recommend the 5S to friends.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen