Not enough memory to upgrade OS?

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPod Touch 8GB that is completely full. I'm pretty new to iOs.

The Touch says that there's an OS update for it but that I don't have enough memory to download?

I have updated OSs on BlackBerry and Android and never heard of this. Doesn't the new OS just replace the old? Why do I need memory?

I'll have to delete quite a few things to be able to install this. Is there any other way? Why is the extra memory needed anyway?

Thanks!

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It's downloading the OS to the storage so it can run it, just like your computer does. If there is no space on your iPod, how could it download the update?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

The Touch says that there's an OS update for it but that I don't have enough memory to download?

I have updated OSs on BlackBerry and Android and never heard of this. Doesn't the new OS just replace the old? Why do I need memory?

I'll have to delete quite a few things to be able to install this. Is there any other way? Why is the extra memory needed anyway?

Thanks!

The iOS update is larger than the current iOS version you have with all of your apps and media. You have to do some app and media management as to what goes and stays. This is true for any device. 🎃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

What iOS version are you currently running?

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I think it's iOS 5? Not sure. I see now 8GBs is not enough storage for me by far!

I'm going to be selling it shortly and get an iPhone proper...with more memory.

Thanks for the replies! I'll update it via a PC. Didn't know I could do that!! Thanks.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Thanks!

Transfer photos and videos to your computer. Then delete some music you have stored locally. Maybe even remove some apps.

It's pretty easy.

Edit - You will likely get the same message if you use iTunes. Just remove some media to free up some memory.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I did delete a lot of music initially. I have 800 songs and only about 600 fit. No pictures on the iPod and maybe 25 apps. FULL.

It's ok though. It just SOLD on Amazon! Just need to sell the BlackBerry and I'm going iP5s!

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I did delete a lot of music initially. I have 800 songs and only about 600 fit. No pictures on the iPod and maybe 25 apps. FULL.

It's ok though. It just SOLD on Amazon! Just need to sell the BlackBerry and I'm going iP5s!

Nice.
I recommend going with the 32 GB one that way you don't have to worry about storage too much. You don't have to go with the 32 GB one but you should get the storage size that works best for you. Also If you can, wait until December since their should be better deals on phones and plans then but read the fine print before choosing one.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
If there's some kind of deal in Dec, I'll wait til then and I will go with a 64GB. 299 is about all I'd like to pay!

Hey CrackBerry peeps. :)