Auto-delete played podcasts in Podcast app?

Osterlaus

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
I'm a bit annoyed about the Podcast app by Apple itself. I regularly sync my iPhone 4S with iTunes 11, and even as iTunes deletes my played podcast episodes and this option is set on my iPhone (in settings: keep unplayed episodes), not a single played episode is ever removed automagically from my iPhone :( This setting is put both in the global options and in each podcast, and I have not subscribed to the podcast feeds within the iPhone app. Are there any hints where I'm going wrong or is this like a known bug?
Regards
Osterlaus

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
The podcasts app will only manage podcasts which you subscribe to inside the app. Any podcast that is being synced via iTunes will not be managed by the app. Seems crazy I know but that's how they decided to make it work. I use the app myself and its far better than it was a year ago, yet I feel like apple has no direction in which way this app is going. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osterlaus

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so the app won't do any deletion, that's okay. But why won't iTunes delete episodes that it does not keep itself any longer? I have seen episodes on my iPhone that are no longer on my PC, and thus they should get removed on the next sync... Will it help to subscribe to each podcast on my iPhone too? Will iPhone and iTunes sync which episodes are seen and which are to be kept till they are watched?

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I have seen this behavior in the past as well. The only thing I could attribute it to was an episode I downloaded manually off the store in app, or one that in had explicitly checked in iTunes to add and never unchecked it. Other than these two situations I have never seen this behavior. Also just an FYI in case your unaware, if you uninstall the podcasts app, restart your phone, and then re-sync iTunes your podcasts will be back in the music app like they used to be. You can't download from the store without the app but if your managing from iTunes anyway this might be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2