* Is Passbook a complete waste of time? I don't even use the thing!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the regular old Starbucks App on my phone.. seems pointless to have a secondary app (Passbook) that does what the primary app (Starbucks) does as well. I can upload more funds, pay for drinks, get free songs, etc all through my Starbucks app.. I dont see a need for another app to do the same thing.

Your observation is very valid. Furthermore, Passbook still need the Starbucks app installed in order to update its balance.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the regular old Starbucks App on my phone.. seems pointless to have a secondary app (Passbook) that does what the primary app (Starbucks) does as well. I can upload more funds, pay for drinks, get free songs, etc all through my Starbucks app.. I dont see a need for another app to do the same thing.

Yes agreed. I use the Starbucks app over the passbook every time. If I could I would delete it.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes agreed. I use the Starbucks app over the passbook every time. If I could I would delete it.

This is the same for Fandango (for those that use it).

The only way to "delete" it, per se, is to hide it using SB Settings (must be jailbroke).

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I use Passbook when I know I'm going to be using a provides service. If I'm flying, ill turn it on so I have the real time flight and boarding info. Going to a movie, ill cut it on so Fandango will show my tickets when I walk up. There are some great uses for it, Apple just needs to get more partners on board.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Every time I drive past my Walgreens the app pops up on my screen.

Good Luck

Nice! Personally though, I opted to disable location services for Passbook. I prefer to unlock my iPhone and initiate the app manually.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The advantage of Passbook over the app is that you don't have to unlock the phone or go find the app. It's just there.

kittychew

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I think the concept of passbook is a bit ahead of the time for implementation. Most of the comments suggest using it the way I do, like Starbucks and flying. The problem is that most of those apps have better utility. I use the Starbucks app because I may have to reload or manage the card, can't do that in passbook. I use the united app so I can check my seats and change it or check out where the plane is coming from and when it's coming, etc.

Until we have so many things to pay for that convergence into a single app makes sense, or if that app provides all of the utility each individual one does, I don't see passbook succeeding. The time will come. Just not yet and not in a way that looks like passbook.

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
As far as I can see the only company that's affiliated itself with PB is Starbucks. I just hope other companies come in very soon because I love the concept.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Just used it 15 mins ago at AMC.....only place I use it though.

I just used mines at AMC also. It's a wonder that more companies aren't using mobile payment systems like Square and incorporating passbook for their loyalty reward programs. EVERYONE has a mobile phone. Seems like businesses are holding back progress. Maybe this is also why NFC hasn't taken root in our society yet. I wouldn't need a wallet if I could use mobile payments.

Side Note: Iron Man 3 is a must see.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just used mines at AMC also. It's a wonder that more companies aren't using mobile payment systems like Square and incorporating passbook for their loyalty reward programs. EVERYONE has a mobile phone. Seems like businesses are holding back progress. Maybe this is also why NFC hasn't taken root in our society yet. I wouldn't need a wallet if I could use mobile payments.

Side Note: Iron Man 3 is a must see.

Coincidentally, Iron Man 3 is what we saw. Great movie!

jrod986

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you use PassSource, you can make passes for loyalty cards or gift cards. Of course, you could already to this with a similar key ring app but in my case, I thought I'll just use Passbook because I'm stuck with it.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This is probably a good spot to ask this.

I don't understand how Passbook works. You have a giftcard in the app and when you go checkout at that store they scan your phone? Does it require the store to have special equipment or do they scan it the way they scan anything else?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is probably a good spot to ask this.

I don't understand how Passbook works. You have a giftcard in the app and when you go checkout at that store they scan your phone?
Unless I'm mistaken, only Apple has a "gift card" that works with Passbook. Anyway, gift cards, reward cards, coupons, boarding passes, etc., that is Passbook supported gets scanned by the retailer or Airlines, etc., with a laser scanner so yes, the store scans your phone, so to speak.
Does it require the store to have special equipment or do they scan it the way they scan anything else?
Yes, the scanner they use are Passbook compliant and no, it will not cause damage to your device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods