Ran across this site (passoupons.com) and remembered this thread. Just sharing.
    Nice find Dryland.
    Tks
    Dryland likes this.
    05-04-2013 02:06 PM
    Just used it 15 mins ago at AMC.....only place I use it though.
    05-04-2013 03:52 PM
    I think the concept of passbook is a bit ahead of the time for implementation. Most of the comments suggest using it the way I do, like Starbucks and flying. The problem is that most of those apps have better utility. I use the Starbucks app because I may have to reload or manage the card, can't do that in passbook. I use the united app so I can check my seats and change it or check out where the plane is coming from and when it's coming, etc.

Until we have so many things to pay for that convergence into a single app makes sense, or if that app provides all of the utility each individual one does, I don't see passbook succeeding. The time will come. Just not yet and not in a way that looks like passbook.
    05-04-2013 04:12 PM
    As far as I can see the only company that's affiliated itself with PB is Starbucks. I just hope other companies come in very soon because I love the concept.
    05-04-2013 04:21 PM
    Just used it 15 mins ago at AMC.....only place I use it though.
    I just used mines at AMC also. It's a wonder that more companies aren't using mobile payment systems like Square and incorporating passbook for their loyalty reward programs. EVERYONE has a mobile phone. Seems like businesses are holding back progress. Maybe this is also why NFC hasn't taken root in our society yet. I wouldn't need a wallet if I could use mobile payments.

Side Note: Iron Man 3 is a must see.
    05-04-2013 05:23 PM
    The advantage of Passbook over the app is that you don't have to unlock the phone or go find the app. It's just there.
    Agree , makes it very convenient .
    05-04-2013 09:10 PM
    I just used mines at AMC also. It's a wonder that more companies aren't using mobile payment systems like Square and incorporating passbook for their loyalty reward programs. EVERYONE has a mobile phone. Seems like businesses are holding back progress. Maybe this is also why NFC hasn't taken root in our society yet. I wouldn't need a wallet if I could use mobile payments.

Side Note: Iron Man 3 is a must see.
    Coincidentally, Iron Man 3 is what we saw. Great movie!
    05-04-2013 09:16 PM
    If you use PassSource, you can make passes for loyalty cards or gift cards. Of course, you could already to this with a similar key ring app but in my case, I thought I'll just use Passbook because I'm stuck with it.
    05-05-2013 01:45 PM
    This is probably a good spot to ask this.

I don't understand how Passbook works. You have a giftcard in the app and when you go checkout at that store they scan your phone? Does it require the store to have special equipment or do they scan it the way they scan anything else?
    05-05-2013 02:08 PM
    This is probably a good spot to ask this.

I don't understand how Passbook works. You have a giftcard in the app and when you go checkout at that store they scan your phone?
    Unless I'm mistaken, only Apple has a "gift card" that works with Passbook. Anyway, gift cards, reward cards, coupons, boarding passes, etc., that is Passbook supported gets scanned by the retailer or Airlines, etc., with a laser scanner so yes, the store scans your phone, so to speak.
    Does it require the store to have special equipment or do they scan it the way they scan anything else?
    Yes, the scanner they use are Passbook compliant and no, it will not cause damage to your device.
    05-05-2013 02:29 PM
    Unless I'm mistaken, only Apple has a "gift card" that works with Passbook. Anyway, gift cards, reward cards, coupons, boarding passes, etc., that is Passbook supported gets scanned by the retailer or Airlines, etc., with a laser scanner so yes, the store scans your phone, so to speak. Yes, the scanner they use are Passbook compliant and no, it will not cause damage to your device.
    I don't completely get the last part....they have to be Passbook compliant or the scanners they already use are able to handle Passbook?
    05-05-2013 02:41 PM
    I don't completely get the last part....they have to be Passbook compliant or the scanners they already use are able to handle Passbook?
    The scanners they use will be sufficient for use with Passbook.
    05-05-2013 02:49 PM
    I still don't understand how to make store/reward cards with Passbook.
    KeyRing Is so much easier but I like the coordinate feature associate with PassBook that KeyRing lacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    05-05-2013 09:36 PM
    I find no use for passbook. I've put a couple things in there but it's been so long since I opened the app I don't even remember which ones lol!
    05-05-2013 09:38 PM
    Out of interest how many passbook apps are available in the US? We only have 6 in the UK.
    05-06-2013 07:28 AM
    Out of interest how many passbook apps are available in the US? We only have 6 in the UK.
    You can view a list of Passbook supported apps HERE.
    05-06-2013 08:27 AM
    This past weekend I used PassBook about 3 times. I am getting used to it.. Less I have to carry..
    05-06-2013 08:39 AM
    This past weekend I used PassBook about 3 times. I am getting used to it.. Less I have to carry..
    Are you using it for store/reward cards? How did you figure out how to create cards that actually work with store scanners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    05-06-2013 01:35 PM
    You can view a list of Passbook supported apps HERE.
    I clicked on the link and it showed me exactly the same 6 retailers that I get in the UK. So either there are only 6 in the US too or I can only see 6 because of my regional App Store settings so I'm still not sure if we're getting short changed yet again here in the UK.
    05-06-2013 02:15 PM
    I clicked on the link and it showed me exactly the same 6 retailers that I get in the UK. So either there are only 6 in the US too or I can only see 6 because of my regional App Store settings so I'm still not sure if we're getting short changed yet again here in the UK.
    When I click on the link, it shows 29 apps available for use with PassBook. I can only assume that the link automatically adjusts to display the available apps according to your location.
    xybadog likes this.
    05-06-2013 02:45 PM
    When I click on the link, it shows 29 apps available for use with PassBook. I can only assume that the link automatically adjusts to display the available apps according to your location.
    That's what I assumed. Thanks for that.

Vast difference between 29 and 6. The only ones we have in the UK are Starbucks, united airlines, American Airlines, Lufthansa, a hotel booking service and one that is only available in London.

So, as you can see, in the UK we only have Starbucks that is of any use on a regular basis. I don't know if I could handle the caffeine high that regularly to make it of any use.

It's unfortunate because the concept is brilliant.
    05-06-2013 03:34 PM
    How many of you use Passbook? I tried to use it and it doesn't seem to add ANY kind of functuality in my daily life at all. Was this just a novelty? How many of you use it and for what purpose??
    I tried it once at starbucks and it took like 5 scans for it to work. It's trying to solve a problem that I don't really have. So passbook lives in my junk app folder.
    05-07-2013 02:50 PM
    I tried it once at starbucks and it took like 5 scans for it to work. It's trying to solve a problem that I don't really have. So passbook lives in my junk app folder.
    Really? Starbucks, at least in my experience, scans quickly and without a problem. Was your screen smudgy?
    05-07-2013 03:20 PM
    Really? Starbucks, at least in my experience, scans quickly and without a problem. Was your screen smudgy?
    No, I'm not sure why it was so difficult. My wipe my screen off almost every time I use my phone on my pants or shirt. I had high hopes it would work better than the RFID in my debit card (works about 17% of the time) or NFC (worked about 40% of the time on my GNexus) being that it was just scanning a bar code.
    05-07-2013 04:13 PM
    I fly a lot for work and love using the United mobile boarding passes on Passbook in addition to Starbucks... getting United MBP is another story, but I like the gate updates right on the home screen...
    05-13-2013 11:46 AM
78 1234