am i the only one experiencing 6.1.2 battery woes??

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I have both gmail and exchange set up. I am jail broken with about 15 tweaks and themes. I'm sorry but I have excellent battery life. I wish I could help you. It must be something or some setting you have. It just doesn't make sense.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes. I have both gmail and exchange set up. I am jail broken with about 15 tweaks and themes. I'm sorry but I have excellent battery life. I wish I could help you. It must be something or some setting you have. It just doesn't make sense.

Yea, it's called iOS 6.1, it's only new feature.. horrible battery life!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
yeaaaaa....that's not good battery life there BLiNK. After just 4hrs of usage your percentage should only be hovering around 50ish percent. Right now I'm at 4hrs usage with 21h standby and I'm at 52%.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i might be having a little luck with turning OFF everything in my System Services

but then why should i HAVE to put limits on what these devices were intended to do

image.jpg

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
anyone that says this is good, or anything to that effect, needs to have their head checked

View attachment 28245

That's about where mine is.. On 6.01, I was getting between 8-11 hours of usage! In fact, my best time was 99% on LTE where I think I almost hit 11 hours usage, over a span of about 38-40 hours!! My battery life went into the toilet the exact moment I upgraded to 6.1, so I really doubt its a hardware issue.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
i might be having a little luck with turning OFF everything in my System Services

but then why should i HAVE to put limits on what these devices were intended to do

View attachment 28259

I agree, we shouldn't have to handicap our phones in order to get decent battery life, I have all those off except "cell network search", not sure what it means, but it looks like something you'd need to have on I figure??

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree, we shouldn't have to handicap our phones in order to get decent battery life, I have all those off except "cell network search", not sure what it means, but it looks like something you'd need to have on I figure??

good point. turning it on now

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site

Turning off those services doesn't handicap your phone in any respect.

Starting from the top of that list:

Cell Network Search - I don't need my phone turning on it's GPS receiver and fixing my location in order to help it choose cell towers. It works fine the old fashioned way by picking up the signals and figuring our which tower to use by itself. I don't need 3-meter-accuracy at the expense of unnecessary battery drain. I've had that setting turned off since at LEAST the beginning of iOS 5. I've never had any trouble with it disabled. Deep down, I wonder why that is even there in the first place - but I'll keep the tin foil hat off for now.

Compass Calibration - I rarely, rarely every use the compass. I don't need that IC turning on if I hardly ever need it. In the extreme situation that I need it, I do not mind the extra few seconds it takes to wave it around if it saves me battery power ALL of the time.

Diagnostics & Usage - I never send diagnostics or usage data whenever I can help it, and I surely don't feel like giving Apple or whatever other company is profiting off of that information any of my battery's energy - or GPS accurate information. I don't mind being one of the few people who are slightly off of the grid.

Genius for Apps - No thanks. See above.

Location-Based iAds - Now it's getting silly. Not only would I rather not see ANY ads, I really don't want to give up any of my battery life by enabling these companys to serve me ads based on my location.

Setting Time Zone - I only travel a few times a year, and the only thing that I've noticed that needs to be changed manually in my settings is for the Calendar app. Again, I would rather do it myself once or twice a year and save my battery for the other 48 weeks.

Traffic - I don't need my phone to automatically send in Traffic data, either. If I feel like sharing, I'll turn on Waze and do it on my terms.

Far from handicapping your phone, it is more like liberating your phone to turn these settings off. I don't like being anyone's data scraper any more than what is necessary to receive the services that I want.

Battery usage on my phone this morning at 4%:
Usage 7 Hours, 53 Minutes
Standby 1 Day, 4 Hours

Really, I don't need my phone to perform any better than that without expecting to plug it in...

feng72

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Cell Network Search is a location based service that sends your location information, and the tower ids of the network towers within range of (and thus detected by) your phone. It is used by Apple marketing (and whomever they choose to sell/share the database with) to determine patterns of cell useage, tower congestion and so on.

Those features in System Services are all about sending your location based information TO Apple, not about enabling features or services on your iPhone. This is Apple's way of allowing you to opt out of the collection of location based data that previously was done surriptiously without overtly letting you know or have any way to stop it.

You can disable every single feature in that section and your iPhone or iPad will continue to function exactly the same way it always has.

The only one that has anything to do with your use is the time zone feature, but you'd only actually need that one on IF you were outside of range of any cellular towers and wanted your time zone set by your GPS location. If you turn it off, but leave the time&date setting on "automatic" then your time zone will be determined by the time signal received from the wireless towers your device connects to.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Wow, I've been raving about iPhone 5 battery life to everyone I see. Mine is still really good under 6.1.2 I feel. Yesterday when I went to bed my usage was 7.5 hours and 17 hours on standby and I still had 30% remaining. That's a heavy day. Normal use is around 5-6 hours with same standby time and around 40-50+% remaining.

Gmail (exchange) and Outlook.com both pushing. Tons of apps with push notifications. In that setting thing people are discussing a few posts above I have everything but diagnostic reporting turned on.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
another day of BS battery performance. i even restored as new last night, added email accounts and minimal apps

tonight i am going to Restore as New to 6.1.3 beta, just for fun, and see what happens

image.jpg

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
another day of BS battery performance. i even restored as new last night, added email accounts and minimal apps

tonight i am going to Restore as New to 6.1.3 beta, just for fun, and see what happens

View attachment 28300

Holy crap that's horrible!!! I wonder if someone from iMore can reach to someone at Apple about this??

One thing I forgot about is an idea I had last week, since I see you are on ATT like me, I was wondering if the battery issue's on 6.1-6.1.2 are only happening to people on ATT? There has to be some kind of differences in the OS from carrier to carrier right?? Just an idea since I've exhausted everything else..

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Holy crap that's horrible!!! I wonder if someone from iMore can reach to someone at Apple about this??

One thing I forgot about is an idea I had last week, since I see you are on ATT like me, I was wondering if the battery issue's on 6.1-6.1.2 are only happening to people on ATT? There has to be some kind of differences in the OS from carrier to carrier right?? Just an idea since I've exhausted everything else..

interesting.. i do know that the regulars here that have said they indeed have "decent" battery life are on VZW too

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I wonder if anybody on ATT has good battery life??
You guys may have some points here. Majority of users know that if signal isn't great, neither will your battery life be because your device will be comstantly searching to hold a good signal. SO...with that in mind, I wonder if you guys are just in a 'bad signal' area and this is why your devices are not doing so well battery life wise. The other things to take into consideration, and people usually think i'm crazy (but oh well!) is the weather. I feel that depending on the atmosphere, it will impact your connection. I get good battery life, like i mentioned previously 7-9hrs usage in a single charge which can last me 1-1/2 to 2 days....BUT on days that are rainy, snowing, very cloudy etc. I do notice a small decrease where my overall usage will be cut down to 7-71/2 hrs overal usage in a single charge. (i'm on VzW)

But also, a question for both of you, BLiNK & redbeard...prior to 6.1.2 you both were getting decent battery life and then when you upgraded to 6.1.2 thats when you noticed a huge difference? Redbeard, i will also agree with each carrier will have its own version because the signal software for ATT will be different from Verizons. Which will then lead to another possibility - is the 'signal software' in iOS6.1.2 for ATT not up to snuff as it was in 6.1.1 etc. ?? BUT if not all people on ATT are experiencing what you guys are, then i would think it would lead back to where your located and the coverage not being so great.

just bouncin' a few ideas back to you guys to maybe try and figure out something.....:)

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Same here. AT&T with great battery life. It very well might be your signal area. Can you call AT&T and see if they can diagnose the problem?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox