am i the only one experiencing 6.1.2 battery woes??

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I also have to say, that all of my updates since coming from 5.0.1 to iOS6 up to current 6.1.2, that i've had battery life that has been satisfactory every time. I always use iTunes now. When iOS5 first popped out in Nov. 2011, I did the ota update and my battery life was HORRENDOUS. I did a restore as new, and from that day on i always updated via iTunes.

I know you've expressed on occassion about your battery life, and your well capable of trouble shooting to try to rectify the problem, and sorry to hear your still having issues after what you've tried.

A couple of things did come to mind though. How long have you had your 4S ? Is it possible your battery has begun to "wear down" and not hold a charge as well as it did from when the device is new, and a replacement of a new battery will help this? Perhaps on your trip to the Apple store, this could be checked out? I would also have Apple do a battery diagnostic check as well (which can also be done remotely from your device while you call from a landline, by using an email that is on your device(if my memory serves me correctly) - i had this done going back when I first upgraded to ios5 ota & had battery issues to trouble shoot & make sure my battery wasnt faulty.)

With that upgrade burning a hole in your pocket, be careful on your decision before jumping into something else. Take your time, and thoroughly think it through so that you won't regret a hasty decision based on frustration you have now.

Good luck, and keep up posted!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I also have to say, that all of my updates since coming from 5.0.1 to iOS6 up to current 6.1.2, that i've had battery life that has been satisfactory every time. I always use iTunes now. When iOS5 first popped out in Nov. 2011, I did the ota update and my battery life was HORRENDOUS. I did a restore as new, and from that day on i always updated via iTunes.

I know you've expressed on occassion about your battery life, and your well capable of trouble shooting to try to rectify the problem, and sorry to hear your still having issues after what you've tried.

A couple of things did come to mind though. How long have you had your 4S ? Is it possible your battery has begun to "wear down" and not hold a charge as well as it did from when the device is new, and a replacement of a new battery will help this? Perhaps on your trip to the Apple store, this could be checked out? I would also have Apple do a battery diagnostic check as well (which can also be done remotely from your device while you call from a landline, by using an email that is on your device(if my memory serves me correctly) - i had this done going back when I first upgraded to ios5 ota & had battery issues to trouble shoot & make sure my battery wasnt faulty.)

With that upgrade burning a hole in your pocket, be careful on your decision before jumping into something else. Take your time, and thoroughly think it through so that you won't regret a hasty decision based on frustration you have now.

WOW - WOW - oh and WOW what a great set of points to make from one solid member of this forum to another solid member of this forum. I have mad respect for both of you and am sorry as well that Blink is having this trouble and I mean that. i might just have Apple to a diagnostic to just see where I stand.

In my previous post this is why I suggested that Blink might to even want to make a trip to Apple and the Genius bar which was backed up by Keith and 'D so I hope he gets it resolved to his satisfaction. :) :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
wasn't 6.1.2 supposed to correct the exchange bug that was indeed responsible for battery drain?

i restored as new before the weekend and added the bare minimum apps that i needed and still the problem persists. hell i even stopped removed my Facebook app over the weekend too and made no difference. i've always been able to correct any issue i have ever had with my phone.. until now

stock iOS 6.1.2 BTW

i have an upgrade basically burning a hole in my pocket now and that's not good!
My friend I am combining your comments here with Pinks for good reason as i just got off the phone with Apple and everything Pink said is true.
I called up tech support and they sent me an SMS with a link to click that sent the tech everything on my phone like OS, Battery performance and state of health and some other important info for him to look at. He told me that every thing i told him I was doing and the length of time I have had my phone and how I use and have it set up is A-OK. A very interesting experience with Apple to the good. He did tell me that if a phone is under "Warranty" and there is a battery issue the Genius Bar WILL replace your battery with new. Just thought I would give you this info.

For you young lady. I know you hate or laugh when I say that to you...LOL TY for the advice to call Apple as I wanted to experience it first hand to better help Blink as i feel what he is going through. Good to know my phone and what i am doing is OK. I just thought I would repost this info with what I just experienced with Apple and anyone can do it as long as you are still under warranty or have Applecare + like I do. Thanks again Pink!!;)

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I've got better battery life than I've ever seen on any other iOS device with my jailbroken 6.1.2 iPhone 5. I've had the phone for a few weeks (upgrades when the jailbreak was released) and ran on both 6.1.0 and 6.1.2, so I've been able to make the comparison.

For what it's worth, I nearly always restore as new -- and the few times that I haven't are usually scrapped and redone quickly.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
i am not usually one to complain about battery performance but this is ridiculous

Sure is, I can't remember really ever having battery problems with an iPhone before, it was great on 6.01, battery life went to hell the second I updated to 6.1, so I know 6.1 and 6.1.2 introduced a nasty bug that's killing the battery for many people. I used to be able to charge my phone at night, and unplug before going to bed, and my battery would last all day at work and well into the evening under heavy use, now I find myself having to put it on the charger by noon.

Since Apple still has not addressed this, and there's a wall of silence in the media about it, I'm seriously considering the GS4, if they can fix what I don't like about the 3, bye bye Apple.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sure is, I can't remember really ever having battery problems with an iPhone before, it was great on 6.01, battery life went to hell the second I updated to 6.1, so I know 6.1 and 6.1.2 introduced a nasty bug that's killing the battery for many people. I used to be able to charge my phone at night, and unplug before going to bed, and my battery would last all day at work and well into the evening under heavy use, now I find myself having to put it on the charger by noon.

Since Apple still has not addressed this, and there's a wall of silence in the media about it, I'm seriously considering the GS4, if they can fix what I don't like about the 3, bye bye Apple.

crap by noon??!! i'm with you in the GS4 camp - kind of. i just wish it came out around when the next iPhone did too!

i may wait it out and see what Apple brings but like you know we have to kinda lower our expectations lol

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
@ BLiNK & redbeard: I'm interested in seeing what the SGS4 has in store also....the ONLY 2 things that make me really leery about android is the malware & privacy issues. I'm also very interested in seeing the next iPhone(5S?) as well. My upgrade is avail (since Dec) but I'm in no rush as my 4S is functioning up to what is expected & more for my personal needs:)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
**Ditto I could not agree more. I am just going to sit back and wait as my upgrade is in Dec. as well. I think we got our phones around the same time. Unless an OS forces a change or I opt for a new iPad ( don't know which yet) I will be keeping what I have.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
crap by noon??!! i'm with you in the GS4 camp - kind of. i just wish it came out around when the next iPhone did too!

i may wait it out and see what Apple brings but like you know we have to kinda lower our expectations lol

Yup, my usage times have been cut in half by iOs 6.1, wish I never upgraded. I feel like I've tried everything, I've restored as new several times now, I've even tried turning off LTE for a whole day, nothing has helped, I also have brightness turned almost all the way down, never use bluetooth, etc..

So I'm out of ideas here, I bought the phone in november so I don't think Apple will return it anymore, and I don't see any help on the horizon. I had major issues with Android and the GS3, battery life being #1, go figure. And having to wait forever for updates to the OS was driving me nuts, along with the flimsy plastic Samsung uses, and of course, the low resolution screen. I expect the GS4 to get a 1080P screen, if it gets a much more sturdy casing, along with a more efficient LTE radio, and ships with the latest Android software then it's going to be an option for sure. I just don't want to leave the iPhone, I know it so well, and have so much invested in the iTunes ecosystem, would be a shame if Apple just runs people off because they don't care to fix major glitches like this. Ball is in their court.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
@ BLiNK & redbeard: I'm interested in seeing what the SGS4 has in store also....the ONLY 2 things that make me really leery about android is the malware & privacy issues. I'm also very interested in seeing the next iPhone(5S?) as well. My upgrade is avail (since Dec) but I'm in no rush as my 4S is functioning up to what is expected & more for my personal needs:)

Yea that is something that concerns me too, I just cannot comprehend why my battery life was so good on 6.01, and so bad on 6.1, and why Apple has not released a fix for it yet.

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure it isn't tweaks you have? Because to me it can't be a blanket "it's the iOS 6.whatever" if many people have great battery life with it and some don't . How can an os affect some phones and not others? It must be what you have installed Just my opinion.

Also a phone is meant to be used. So what if you can't make it all day on a charge. Buy an extra charger and give it a jolt during day. No biggie

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure it isn't tweaks you have? Because to me it can't be a blanket "it's the iOS 6.whatever" if many people have great battery life with it and some don't . How can an os affect some phones and not others? It must be what you have installed Just my opinion.

What tweaks? You mean apps I downloaded from the Appstore?

Like I said, the day 6.1 came out I updated, and then saw my battery get cut in half, this was after setting up as a new phone with zero apps even installed. I don't know why it only affects some people, I do know it is affecting lots of people though, even the poll done on this site showed like twice as many people had their battery degrade after upgrading to 6.1 rather than improve.

Also a phone is meant to be used. So what if you can't make it all day on a charge. Buy an extra charger and give it a jolt during day. No biggie

And that's bs, prior to upgrading to 6.1 I could go an entire day and then some on a charge, now I can't even make halfway through the day, I shouldn't have to buy an extra charger, and have to lug it around because Apple introduced a bug in 6.1 that they still have not fixed, that's the kind of thing I'd expect on an Android phone!!!

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. I thought maybe you were jailbroken. That's why I mentioned tweaks. I am sorry you are having such bad battery problems.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
My battery is great. I charged it yesterday and haven't plugged it in yet. It's almost dead, but that's after at least 32 hours. I've been making a point to not charge it so I could see how long it could go.

iPhone 5 on 6.1.2.

I don't have the actual statistics for this run since I'd been doing some Cydia installs that have required reboots and repsrings and the usage meters have cleared. This run has included streaming Bluetooth audio to my car stereo, some GPS use trying to find a restuarant, playing some streaming HD video from my NAS, and about 10 minutes worth of talk time.

As I'd mentioned in an earlier reply, I'm jailbroken and have a few tweaks running that one would think might have some negative effects on the battery, but I'm not seeing any real difference.

I do turn off a few things, though. I don't use a Google Exchange Server for my email since the device is too new. I use Mailbox instead, and normal imap in the stock email app.

I have the screen brightness set at about 1/3. All radios remain on at all times and LTE is enabled.

I turn off "Raise to speak" in Siri settings. I never use that mode to activate it, so I don't the the proximity sensor lighting up every time I move my phone.

I turn off all "System Services" that are hiding at the bottom of the "Settings - Privacy - Location Services" page. The phone seems to work just fine without any of those.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
question for anyone that is NOT experiencing battery issues:

do you use a google exchange account? (email, contacts, calendar)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I do. Also, the only thing that will noticeably drains my battery is talking via my Bluetooth headset.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes I do email, contacts. and calendar.

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

no i don't at all, although I have 2 AOL email accts on my device - both set to fetch hourly & neither one are set up to sync my contacts/cal or notes.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW