Fresh iOS 6.1 Install

rchartier

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5 has been terribly buggy (random restarts mainly) and I just want to confirm a couple things before I do a fresh install of iOS.

Whats the best way to do it? Do I set it up as new in iTunes?

Also, once I renter my iCloud credentials in the setup process, what is all downloaded back onto my phone? I don't want to restore from a backup since I think there are some files in my backup that are corrupt and are causing me issues.

Will I need to write down all the apps I had on my phone so that I can re download them again?

I jsut want to make sure I am doing this right. I will have a backup of my phone in case I do something wrong.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5 has been terribly buggy (random restarts mainly) and I just want to confirm a couple things before I do a fresh install of iOS.
I'm sorry to hear of that.

Whats the best way to do it? Do I set it up as new in iTunes?
Yes. Make sure your computer has an active Internet connection. When you select to restore via iTunes, a complete wipe and a full fresh install of the latest iOS version will take place.

Also, once I renter my iCloud credentials in the setup process, what is all downloaded back onto my phone?
just your iCloud email, contacts, calendar events, notes & reminders.
I don't want to restore from a backup since I think there are some files in my backup that are corrupt and are causing me issues.
I understand. Keep in mind that after you've selected to restore via iTunes and leave your device connected via USB, iTunes will sometimes auto-restore the backup it made prior to the restore process, thus, causing your device to look as it did previously. I disconnect from iTunes after the verification process has ended and while the device is rebooting. By doing so, I am met with the new setup process. And after I've set the language and country, I am prompted with setting up as new or from a backup. Of course, I almost always choose to set it up as new.

Will I need to write down all the apps I had on my phone so that I can re download them again?
No. After you're all setup and you've entered your Apple ID, you can initiate the App Store app on your device, go to the "Update" section (bottom right corner) and then wait a few seconds and then select "Purchased" (top of the screen) and then you can re-download any and all apps you've ever purchased or downloaded with the current Apple ID.

I jsut want to make sure I am doing this right. I will have a backup of my phone in case I do something wrong.
You shouldn't have any problems. Take care and let us know how it turns out. Also, don't hesitate to ask any more questions if you need to. :) Enjoy your day.

rchartier

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, appreciate the response. Thanks for the detailed response. I'll be busy doing this tomorrow. Worst part of having a nearly full 64 GB iPhone. :(

2 more questions:

1) What about my pictures? I have them all synced to Dropbox as a backup, but what will happen to those.

2) what about data in some apps? Not sure if your familiar with 1password, but will I need to make sure I write down all my passwords somewhere?

Thanks again.

Ryan

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, appreciate the response. Thanks for the detailed response. I'll be busy doing this tomorrow. Worst part of having a nearly full 64 GB iPhone. :(
You're very welcome ...:)

2 more questions:

1) What about my pictures? I have them all synced to Dropbox as a backup, but what will happen to those.
Nothing. They are saved in the cloud via Dropbox. After you've reset your device, simply re-download the Dropbox app, enter your credentials and you can re-download your photos to your device.

2) what about data in some apps? Not sure if your familiar with 1password, but will I need to make sure I write down all my passwords somewhere?

Thanks again.

Ryan
Your "data" should be backed up to iCloud, if you have it enabled or to iTunes if you've done a recent backup. If not, do both an iCloud & an iTunes backup beforehand. As for 1Password, I don't use it. I use DataVault, and with it, I have the option to backup locally, via iCloud and via Dropbox and believe me, I backup to all three. I can only "assume" there's a similar option with 1Password. If there is, use it because after you've reinstalled the app, you would then have the option to restore its data from wherever you backed it up to.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73