iOS 6.1b5 now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Installed on my iphone 5... downloaded... the OTA nowhere to be to found and i got impatient ;) ... so far, haven't noticed anything different... will update my ipad mini wifi later this evening...

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
For my iPhone 5, feels the same to me.

WiFi connectivity and speeds were better on my 4S.

WiFi on my 4S was great on 5.1.1, stability issues started when I updated to 6 and has since continued on my iPhone 5.

Both were setup as new when updating the 4S and initial setup of the 5.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Updated my ip5 and don't really notice anything new at all. I never expected an overhaul but would expect something jeez would it kill you at add a small feature make a small ui change like maybe color scheme something.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Updated my ip5 and don't really notice anything new at all. I never expected an overhaul but would expect something jeez would it kill you at add a small feature make a small ui change like maybe color scheme something.

that will come in IOS X. Until then you get minor little additions to the OS.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Like? HDR in 4.1 is the only new feature in a X.1 release as far as the iPhone is concerned.

The iPad and iPod have plenty though but I'm assuming it was only bringing the feature set in line with other iOS devices.

4.1 had HDR and Game Center. A x.1 release won't be loaded with new features but typically will be a couple.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
4.1 had HDR and Game Center. A x.1 release won't be loaded with new features but typically will be a couple.
It's so few and far between that expecting new features is a little foolish.

Anyway, apparently you can now book movie tickets via Siri. Surely that counts as a new feature even though it's a US specific feature.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I never expected an overhaul and I'm not one to demand updates as I believe the bug fixes are what make a solid os like ios. But c'mon its barely changed in some time they haven't implemented that many changes to ios 6 they can throw some "innovation" this way even if it was cosmetic great keep it fresh.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's so few and far between that expecting new features is a little foolish.

Anyway, apparently you can now book movie tickets via Siri. Surely that counts as a new feature even though it's a US specific feature.

And why is it foolish? Any going back to HDR, I always use that feature on my phone. That feature came 2.5 months after 4.0 released. Glad I didn't have to wait 9.5 more months for it on 5.0. But maybe I'm foolish for thinking that.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
And why is it foolish? Any going back to HDR, I always use that feature on my phone. That feature came 2.5 months after 4.0 released. Glad I didn't have to wait 9.5 more months for it on 5.0. But maybe I'm foolish for thinking that.
That's not what I meant. I meant expecting new features in a X.1 release is foolish since since it has happened very seldomly.

Apple typically releases new features with major versions as to coincide with the release of the latest iPhone.

Anyway, we're back on the subject of adding bells and whistles to iOS which I don't think is going to happen in the foreseeable future (not to say that it doesn't need improvements and change) and it is rather off topic.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That's not what I meant. I meant expecting new features in a X.1 release is foolish since since it has happened very seldomly.

Apple typically releases new features with major versions as to coincide with the release of the latest iPhone.

Anyway, we're back on the subject of adding bells and whistles to iOS which I don't think is going to happen in the foreseeable future (not to say that it doesn't need improvements and change) and it is rather off topic.

I think this is more aimed at bug fixes since they most likely have most of their time and resources devoted towards IOS7 especially if the rumors of a new iphone coming in the summer holds true. They would need to be pretty far along in the development and testing of IOS7 if that's the case, and hence less being added to IOS6.

getdamned

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm just gonna be frank and honest in this statement: I haven't relied on Apple for "features", especially any "innovative" ones in many years...

I think the point where I lost that last shred of faith was when 5.x major release hit and the damn OS still doesn't even have TOGGLES! At least ones not tucked deeply in the randomly placed settings hierarchy. I mean... toggles? really. Their failure to implement this fundamental feature this many years into things shows me a real disconnect between their vision and a practical one.

It got worse, though; if you recall, people discovered a back door "hack" that used internal URL schema to actually create makeshift toggles on the home screen by using the links that jumped directly to specific sections in the settings app? Still not fully satisfactory, but it saved 20 taps here, 30 taps there... and how did Apple react? They "fixed the error"! So even desperate measures to create makeshift functionalities are stifled.

I got fed up. Then I realized all the things that I *wished* iOS could do; it actually COULD do.

Now, NCSettings from Cydia and it takes me 1 second to shut off any features that I wasn't needing. Slide down Notification Center, tap toggle, battery life increased tremendously just by making this habit.

It's not for everyone, but if you decide to JB your phone, you'll never want for any feature ever again. If you're JB and familiar with how brilliantly a few tweaks can turn a PITA user experience to a total pleasure... you know why I'm unconcerned with what asinine feature Apple may toss the peons here and there? because invariably, that feature (and likely even a more robust/slicker implementation of it) has been available in Cydia from months to years prior to Apple actually adding it!

I'm not condoning JB but? no, actually I totally am. It's legal to JB (unlocking is now a different story), and the greatest risk to you is possible warranty termination. If you're dumb enough to send them a JB phone to fix...

If you've had your phone for over a year and f**k! You didn't get AppleCare? ? Your warranty has already expired anyway. At that point you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain (unless you are reckless or dumb and don't back up your phone first)...

I'm so used to the pleasantries and conveniences of a JB iPhone that now, when I'm using someone else's that isn't, it feels so roundabout, lacking and just? it feels like I'm using a crippled shareware version of iOS, actually. That's a pretty decent analogy, actually!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR