AT&T allows FaceTime over cellular for all tiered data plans

epicness4G

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I?m guessing if you have a limit and you exceed that limit and incur additional charges, then it is, by definition, it is NOT unlimited. Not equivalent. Not even close. #fail

I was referring to the price of "unlimited" data. Not comparing the actual amount of GBs. You know what happens when you assume things right? #fail

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Nimravus

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Companies do this all the time. Skype and Vonage offers an "unlimited" calling plan but for up to 6 hours a day. Why don't they just call it a 6hr/day plan? Lol. Darn Fair Use clause... Same way Verizon claims to be the fastest and greatest coverage... While AT&T claims to be the fastest and greatest coverage... Darn asterisks!!! Darn lawyers twist everything... Lol

Daspoo

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
What's humorous is that I seriously doubt Facetime is being used all that often anyways. AT&T is so worried about "unlimited" users going to town on their service to the point that it will cripple data usage across their customer base. Yet I think the number of users really using Facetime even over wi-fi is small compared to what they're expecting. I'd be really curious to see stats on its usage across the U.S.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
What's humorous is that I seriously doubt Facetime is being used all that often anyways. AT&T is so worried about "unlimited" users going to town on their service to the point that it will cripple data usage across their customer base. Yet I think the number of users really using Facetime even over wi-fi is small compared to what they're expecting. I'd be really curious to see stats on its usage across the U.S.

Definitely. Even when I was able to do it via jailbreak, I hardly ever used it. But it's the principle of the thing!

Nimravus

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I actually use it quite often. I think FaceTime is designed for people that travel or that live long distance from relatives, maybe a military family etc... I use FaceTime with my iPhone on a windshield mount and a Bluetooth headset or when I'm traveling on business. My wife uses it to talk to her sisters kids. Like Skype video, it's not for everyone but there is a market for video calls.

That being said, data is data and AT&T shouldn't artificially limit how it's used.

Daspoo

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
You might be in the minority, at least as far as FaceTime is concerned. But I do agree with you about video calls having a market, and data being data. I'd imagine though that most are used to Skype and would probably use that over FT simply b/c they have been for so long.

I'd love for FT to really take off, but I just don't see it happening. I'm a lover of all things geektastic, and yet I've maybe FaceTimed a total of 6 times since it was made available. I know I'm not *everyone* but seems like I'd hear and see more of it around me than I do - even here in the South, where everything revolves around eating and college football. Just my thoughts...

Last edited:

Nimravus

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
You might be in the minority, at least as far as FaceTime is concerned. But I do agree with you about video calls having a market, and data being data. I'd imagine though that most are used to Skype and would probably use that over FT simply b/c they have been for so long.

I'd love for FT to really take off, but I just don't see it happening. I'm a lover of all things geektastic, and yet I've maybe FaceTimed a total of 6 times since it was made available. I know I'm not *everyone* but seems like I'd hear and see more of it around me than I do - even here in the South, where everything revolves around eating and college football. Just my thoughts...

Oh I'm in the minority for sure. Not too many people make video calls. In my experience, especially girls. Lol. When I try a FT cal a female friend, I get a text back saying they aren't ready for a video call (makeup, etc). I think guys could care less what they look like. Haha. Video calls are limited to a small group? Business conference calls, geeks and long distance situations, etc.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I use FT daily. I didn't for the first year or more that it was available. But when I got sick it became a huge help. My family could see how I was doing. Just because they lived a thousand miles away, they still got to watch my hair fall out, and now they're getting to watch it come back.

My mother only uses an iPad these days (no computer), so she FT's me 1-2 a day. And I've been able to use it to watch tv with my daughter. Of course, I'm using it on my Mac. I'd like to be able to use it on my iPhone when I'm not home.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner