AT&T allows FaceTime over cellular for all tiered data plans

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
AT&T allows FaceTime over cellular for all tiered data plans | 9to5Mac

AT&T just announced it will enable FaceTime over cellular without charging tiered data plan customers using a compatible iOS device. With this new setup, AT&T said iPhone 4S customers with tiered plans can now make FaceTime calls over cellular.
AT&T previously only allowed Mobile Share plan customers and LTE device owners on tiered plans to use FaceTime over cellular. The carrier said it will start rolling out the update to customers in the next couple of weeks.
Check out the press release below.

FaceTime Update
January 16, 2013
When FaceTime over Cellular launched in September 2012, we explained that we wanted to roll it out gradually to ensure the service had minimal impact on the mobile experience for all of our customers.

As a result of ongoing testing, we’re announcing AT&T will enable FaceTime over Cellular at no extra charge for customers with any tiered data plan using a compatible iOS device.

This means iPhone 4S customers with tiered plans will be able to make FaceTime calls over the AT&T cellular network. AT&T previously made FaceTime over Cellular available to customers with a Mobile Share plan and those with an LTE device on tiered plans.

Of course, FaceTime over Wi-Fi remains available for all customers who have a compatible iPhone or iPad.
We have already begun updating our systems and processes and expect to start rolling the update out to customers on an ongoing basis beginning in the next couple of weeks. Customers do not need to do anything—the update will be applied automatically over the next few months.

Only AT&T offers benefits like the ability to talk and surf at the same time, the fastest download speeds using AT&T 4G LTE, and a variety of flexible plan options to meet customers’ needs.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
And so the BS continues, where my "unlimited" plan does less than a tiered plan.

Unbelievable, isn't it? It angers me how service providers heavily promoted the advantages of unlimited data plans and then when customers started getting them, those customers were punished by being called greedy and inconsiderate. They were further punished them by throttling their Internet speeds and finally by offering a popular & well sought feature (that should automatically be a part of any data plan, by the way) on tiered plans, but not unlimited plans. SMH in disgust.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
One way or another, unlimited data plans will go the way of the dinosaur. This is just another kick in the groin. Soon, if you activate any phone regardless if you bought it off contract for full price, those with existing unlimited plans will be forced to give them up. It's inevitable.

Sent from somewhere

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
One way or another, unlimited data plans will go the way of the dinosaur. This is just another kick in the groin. Soon, if you activate any phone regardless if you bought it off contract for full price, those with existing unlimited plans will be forced to give them up. It's inevitable.

Sent from somewhere

No doubt about it! :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i don't care. i have had my unlimited plan since they were introduced - i am not giving it up

they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing how carriers can get away with this BS. But then again when they have their hands in the gov't pockets nothing is going to change. At least verizon allows anyone to use facetime regardless of what plan you are on.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Unbelievable, isn't it? It angers me how service providers heavily promoted the advantages of unlimited data plans and then when customers started getting them, those customers were punished by being called greedy and inconsiderate. They were further punished them by throttling their Internet speeds and finally by offering a popular & well sought feature (that should automatically be a part of any data plan, by the way) on tiered plans, but not unlimited plans. SMH in disgust.

I find it funny how all the carriers promote how they have such a fast network but yet you can't even really take advantage of it. I would have rather them just stuck with 3g and let unlimited data how it was rather than all these improvements and shafting the customer every way they can.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny how all the carriers promote how they have such a fast network but yet you can't even really take advantage of it. I would have rather them just stuck with 3g and let unlimited data how it was rather than all these improvements and shafting the customer every way they can.

Good point. :)

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Sprint LTE in Houston is truly unlimited.

That's good and all if sprint works in your area. I was going to go to sprint for the iPhone 5 but when the person working there even uses a Verizon phone when you go to talk to them don't give you much assurance. I had them check my area and it was roam only. And I live within 80 miles of their head courters and all I can do is roam.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

epicness4G

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Meh unlimited data, had it gave it up. Not worth paying full price for a phone. There's wifi pretty much in every place that Im at (home, school, work) and 4GBs is plenty enough for me, quit your whining.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Meh unlimited data, had it gave it up. Not worth paying full price for a phone. There's wifi pretty much in every place that Im at (home, school, work) and 4GBs is plenty enough for me, quit your whining.

Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone—many rely on a cell signal and the only way they could use facetime over cellular with any regularity would be on an unlimited plan. It's hardly whining to point out that AT&T is giving less to those customers who are paying more.

epicness4G

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone?many rely on a cell signal and the only way they could use facetime over cellular with any regularity would be on an unlimited plan. It's hardly whining to point out that AT&T is giving less to those customers who are paying more.

30 bucks for 3GB same as unlimited.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh