Usage Shows Incorrect?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed this for a long time. What I am showing for usage is not even close to accurate. I'll show maybe 7-8 hours usage and a lot of standby, but really, I am not using the phone 7-8 hours. Maybe more like 2 or 3. Is it calculating every time I hit the home button while it is asleep as a minute or something? I have an iPhone 5. Yes, I set it up as a new one, not from a back-up. Still have the issue. It just is not accurate at all. Yes, it does reset to 0 when I get to a 100% charge, so I am not carrying over from partial charges. It just seems strange to me.

Anyone else?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed this for a long time. What I am showing for usage is not even close to accurate. I'll show maybe 7-8 hours usage and a lot of standby, but really, I am not using the phone 7-8 hours. Maybe more like 2 or 3. Is it calculating every time I hit the home button while it is asleep as a minute or something? I have an iPhone 5. Yes, I set it up as a new one, not from a back-up. Still have the issue. It just is not accurate at all. Yes, it does reset to 0 when I get to a 100% charge, so I am not carrying over from partial charges. It just seems strange to me.

Anyone else?

Can you answer a couple of questions?

What is your "stand by" time when this happens? Is it the same as the "usage" time?

How's your battery life?

There have been instances where some rogue process/app gets stuck and it continues to run, but when this happens, the usage and stand by times are the same or very close... and you battery drains quickly... are you seeing either of those situations?

I'd definitely try doing a hard reset (press/hold the power and home buttons until you see the Apple logo) and see if that solves it.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Standby is not the same as usage. It will vary based on standby time, it is generally accurate. However, is standby time off charger or time in sleep mode? Does use time add to sleep time to equal standby time?

Battery life is questionable. Seems worse than my old iPhone 4 however if I am to believe what I see, I get a usage time of 7-8 and standby of 1 day combined, I would say thats good compared to others.

No to your stuck question.

Hard resents done multiple times.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Standby is not the same as usage. It will vary based on standby time, it is generally accurate. However, is standby time off charger or time in sleep mode? Does use time add to sleep time to equal standby time?

Battery life is questionable. Seems worse than my old iPhone 4 however if I am to believe what I see, I get a usage time of 7-8 and standby of 1 day combined, I would say thats good compared to others.

No to your stuck question.

Hard resents done multiple times.

Standby time is "off the charger" time, which includes sleep mode... so I believe that usage time is included in the standby time...

But I don't have any other suggestions... baffling, for sure... it definitely sounds like something is continuing to run in the background...

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Awareness of how you use your iPhone and knowing how long your battery typically lasts can help you improve its battery life. You can view your iPhone usage statistics by tapping the Settings icon on the Home screen and choosing General > Usage. Under the “Time since last full charge” heading you’ll see two items:

Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. The phone is awake when you’re on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving text messages, or during certain background tasks such as auto-checking email.

Standby: Amount of time iPhone has been powered on since its last full charge, including the time the phone has been asleep.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that clarification. My g-mail pushes, so would that drastically increase my use time in some way and if so, by how much? That may be the source of the time increase I see?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I use push and get aorund 300+ emails a day. and about 150+ replies. No issues here....

But if turned on to fetch, I think you would get maybe a hour or so increase, but nothing drastic.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought that pushing used more "power" if you will because I am getting instantaneous notifications of e-mail instead of checking say every hour. Am I misinterpreting here? It would seem so.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
IMO it does not matter, but I am on Wifi most of the time. So that may be why it does not seem to effect me.

If you have a push mail account such as Gmail or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive.

I have tested both and have not seen any difference with Push vs Fetch. But every operates their device differently.......

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
IMO it does not matter, but I am on Wifi most of the time. So that may be why it does not seem to effect me.

If you have a push mail account such as Gmail or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive.

I have tested both and have not seen any difference with Push vs Fetch. But every operates their device differently.......

You ended with you have not seen any difference however you say to turn off push when you are not using it. Why? I am obviously confusing power draw necessary for push vs. fetch.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I say that because that is what Apple recommends.

Though I have tested both a while back and seen no difference.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Push vs Fetch depends more on how much mail you get and how often you have to hit the server. If you get a LOT of mail, your push mail will eat more than if you did fetch. If you don't get a lot of mail, and you're constantly asking the server if there's new mail ( fetch ), you'll eat more battery that way. It all depends on your usage.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Are you using pandora or any other streaming music app?? That counts towards usage time eventhough the phone is sleeping...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR