Why does my battery life suck?

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
So last night while troubleshooting a mysterious "other" size on my phone I restored my iPhone as a new phone. Which updated it from the GM to the release version, I then restored my backup. While fixing the weird other problem my battery life has increased tremendously. I went from 5 hours of use until dead. Now I'm at 14 hours standby with 7 hours of use and I'm at 49%. Seriously impressed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I too am having this issue. I sometimes watch the percentage meter drop as I do things like Facebook or twitter. Now, I do have a few email a counts in the form of exchange but only one is set to push. The others fetch every hour. I've made sure location services are off on things I don't use all the time. So my question is, is there a lot of merit in restoring the phone as new (I have a 4s)? What do I have to loose but a few hours of my time right...:). I've read the tips and tricks to conserve battery life but some are not practical based on what I do on a daliy basis.

On ios5.1 I noticed i got killer life.... Similar to Pink's. I know ios6 is not ios5.1 but I did notice a difference.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I too am having this issue. I sometimes watch the percentage meter drop as I do things like Facebook or twitter. Now, I do have a few email a counts in the form of exchange but only one is set to push. The others fetch every hour. I've made sure location services are off on things I don't use all the time. So my question is, is there a lot of merit in restoring the phone as new (I have a 4s)? What do I have to loose but a few hours of my time right...:). I've read the tips and tricks to conserve battery life but some are not practical based on what I do on a daliy basis.

On ios5.1 I noticed i got killer life.... Similar to Pink's. I know ios6 is not ios5.1 but I did notice a difference.

i would strongly suggest for you, or anyone else, to go ahead and backup your device then Restore as New. give that a go for a couple of days and if you absolutely see no difference you can always put your latest backup onto the device

* i have noticed after doing a Restore as New and ONE charge cycle things turned for the better for me, of course YMMV

good info: Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I was getting 5 hours of battery and a few days ago restored my ip5 as new to unlock it, I later restored from the latest back up and I dont know what happened in the process but my battery is giving me 7 hours ever since... Cant complain now!!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Exactly as Blink state, setup as new, it may taker a bit to setup account and such. But worth it in the long run.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
another thing i would like to add.. when the iOS 6 GM came out i Restored as New, like always. but for some reason i ran into a battery performance issue last week which i found very odd. so i did a Reset Network Settings, Reset All Settings and a charge cycle. now my battery performance is great again

not sure if this is related or not but i did notice during the time of my battery woes i was also experiencing the brightness issue that can come along with iOS 6

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
2012-09-28 14.14.17.png

This was yesterdays screen shot.

I think i will back it up and then restore it from new. It seems to be working for the general consensus. Thanks for the help!

Just to confirm...
1) I'm going to back it up....
2) plug it into iTunes and set up as a new phone...
3) log in with apple id to get my contacts, calendar, purchases, et al, back to my phone...
4) load any other music from itunes...

Did I miss anything?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
looks good to me. however, you may want to make notes of your account information for your emails. if you are not very familiar with them it can save a lot time when setting up as new

i have 3 POP and 3 exchange and used to be very tedious but now i can do them with my eyes closed lol

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
looks good to me. however, you may want to make notes of your account information for your emails. if you are not very familiar with them it can save a lot time when setting up as new

i have 3 POP and 3 exchange and used to be very tedious but now i can do them with my eyes closed lol

That is good?!? 2hrs/40 min of light use (texts/email and some music, occasional twitter glance) with a 6hr standby to 45%?!?! I thought that was pretty crappy.... so maybe I'll leave it... if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That is good?!? 2hrs/40 min of light use (texts/email and some music, occasional twitter glance) with a 6hr standby to 45%?!?! I thought that was pretty crappy.... so maybe I'll leave it... if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

iBrass, I think when BLiNK said "looks good" he meant the order of instructions you listed to do the restore as new, and thats why he also added in for you to take notes for your email addys.....not towards your battery screen shot. :)

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Lol, no worries. Ya know how many times I've sometimes misread something and had to go back to read it:p :D

I know right? ;)

---------- Post Merged at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Will iTunes prompt me for the iOS6 update right away?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I know right? ;)

---------- Post Merged at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Will iTunes prompt me for the iOS6 update right away?

Do your back up first and then click restore. Once that starts I believe it'll ask you about backing up, which you would've just done, and then once that happens it'll pop up wih the ios6 update and you'll just have to confirm & accept it.

I believe it's along those lines. Last phone I restored was my daughters about 3wks ago and I don't remember the exact steps.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, Sunday night here and this is where I am at. 5% left, 7 hours 16 min usage, 2 days 4 hours standby. Improvement? Slightly. However, here is the twist. I have used my phone maybe 30 minutes all weekend. When I pulled it off of charge Friday at 100% it showed 0 usage and 0 standby, so that is not the issue. So, how am I shwing over 7 hours with actual 30 mins? Explain that one! ;-)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, Sunday night here and this is where I am at. 5% left, 7 hours 16 min usage, 2 days 4 hours standby. Improvement? Slightly. However, here is the twist. I have used my phone maybe 30 minutes all weekend. When I pulled it off of charge Friday at 100% it showed 0 usage and 0 standby, so that is not the issue. So, how am I shwing over 7 hours with actual 30 mins? Explain that one! ;-)

Wait a minute.........So your saying you can off the charger Friday, and now it's 2 days 4hrs standby with 7hrs 16min usage, but in reality you've only used your phone for 30mins ??? :confused: your sure you didn't use your phone for that time, receiving emails, making phone calls, text/iMessages etc ???

Yea I know I'm questioning it cause it just sounds wrong lol. Did you ever do the restore? If so then I hate to say it, but if you charge up and your stats come up wonky again, I'd say you may need to do a restore again.....

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Did the reset/restore etc last week. Maybe it registers a minute for every unlock, push notification, etc? That's all I can think of. That's all the activity except for a bit that I have done all weekend. So, confusing.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It's still doing it after the rechange again. Seems every time it wakes up (alert, e-mail, pushing the home button to check time) it counts as a minute. Check it out, I am sure yours all do that same.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to have to reset my phone again as I feel that I am still getting poor battery life. I have already reset my phone once but the battery life didn't seem to change. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349792196.787791.jpg