I finally used passbook today

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Today I finally got to use passbook. It was with a Walgreens rewards card but it worked flawlessly, and my entire purchase was saved to my Walgreens account. Very handy.
The only issue I had was I felt a little like a douche pulling my phone out to have my card scanned but the cashier didn't even bat an eyelash. This will be very handy if it ever becomes widely adopted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Passbook today at a nearby Walgreen's store and the clerk told me that I was the second person to use the feature at that store. There were pamphlets and other advertisements that promoted Walgreen's balance reward via the iPhone's Passbook app. Anyway, this experience felt no different than using the Keyring app even though Passbook will indeed be more useful down the line.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Gonna try keyring. That seems like what I need at the moment with all the key fobs and crap I have to carry. Why wont passbook do the same thing for loyalty cards, etc?

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Gonna try keyring. That seems like what I need at the moment with all the key fobs and crap I have to carry. Why wont passbook do the same thing for loyalty cards, etc?

This. I would love to see Passbook include loyalty cards. I have one for just about every store I shop at.

I did use Passbook for the first time yesterday. I bought tickets to Looper through the Fandango app and then added them to Passbook. The whole thing worked flawlessly.
If I HAD to complain, it would be that Fandango charges a $1.25 convenience fee/ticket. Also, the theater employee had to take my phone and walk across the lobby to a separate station to scan the QR code. Weird.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349207893.873825.jpg

Cheers

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

CardStar works well too. If you still want paper, you can try Just One Club Card - Combine All Of Your Club Cards I have had one of these for years, printed on card stock and stuck in my wallet.... has 8-10 barcodes on it.

mohdslh1

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Not me. I've been using the Keyring app for a while, even when I had my Android devices, so I'm used to displaying my cards via my phone. Besides and as you've stated, the store clerks are used to it, especially at CVS, Best Buy, GNC & Food Lion.

Thanks for mentioning key Ring, this app is great. I can't believe I just came across it. Will try it as soon as possible

djwindsor

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
You have to sign up for their rewards program using the app and then you'll have the option to add it to Passbook.
FINALLY!! I didn't realize you had to sign up for their rewards program. I do have an online account with them but I didn't think the rewards program was separate.

jwsnj3rd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey thought id share this. I got an update to an app it's called Valpak it's an app that gets coupons to business in your area there update was for integration with passbook. I found some coupons and there was a button to add to passbook and it added the coupon to passbook. Might want to try it out see how it works for you guys if you want to use passbook.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Keyring. Have yet to try it, but I am happy (granted this is the only time ill probably say this) that for the first time my wallet is lighter now lol. :D

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Starbucks updated tonight to include passbook. I'll have to try in out tomorrow! Sadly tho its my only passbook app.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Today I finally got to use passbook. It was with a Walgreens rewards card but it worked flawlessly, and my entire purchase was saved to my Walgreens account. Very handy.
The only issue I had was I felt a little like a douche pulling my phone out to have my card scanned but the cashier didn't even bat an eyelash. This will be very handy if it ever becomes widely adopted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to use it!!!

psiclne

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I tried using it last week by going to Target, and it was a complete failure. As I parked I was expecting to get a notification, but didn't. I did my shopping and I let the cashier scan the coupon but the discounts didn't apply. So the employee just entered the discounts manually. I'm hoping I have better success tomorrow at Starbucks

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Keyring. Have yet to try it, but I am happy (granted this is the only time ill probably say this) that for the first time my wallet is lighter now lol. :D

I also just dlwd'd KeyRing last week, and put 8 cards into it. I tried using 2 of them this past weekend, and it wouldnt work:( i was sooo bummed! So, for me unfortunately that didnt work out - i've put this app on the backburner for now. Oh well!

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I also just dlwd'd KeyRing last week, and put 8 cards into it. I tried using 2 of them this past weekend, and it wouldnt work:( i was sooo bummed! So, for me unfortunately that didnt work out - i've put this app on the backburner for now. Oh well!

A lot of stores have the old red laser which will not read the bar code off the phone. Only place I was able to use keyring is toys R us. Wish stores would upgrade to optical lasers.

via Tapatalk

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding the same thing however they can always key in by hand I suppose. Also, I hear having a screen protector can affect it?

lfine39

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I use keyring in Stop&Shop religiously I tried it in my gym.... no good, my gyms scanners are old probably outdated Stop&Shop picks up code immediately. And as far as feeling douche' I was in CVS other day motorcycle guy in full regatta, boots, chains, pony tail pulls out his key chain with his little CVS card on his keyring trust me he would have looked way cooler with an iPhone!!!!!!!!!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
A lot of stores have the old red laser which will not read the bar code off the phone. Only place I was able to use keyring is toys R us. Wish stores would upgrade to optical lasers.
via Tapatalk
Yes, I agree

I use keyring in Stop&Shop religiously I tried it in my gym.... no good, my gyms scanners are old probably outdated Stop&Shop picks up code immediately. And as far as feeling douche' I was in CVS other day motorcycle guy in full regatta, boots, chains, pony tail pulls out his key chain with his little CVS card on his keyring trust me he would have looked way cooler with an iPhone!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, hang on......You were successful at S&S? I always go to the self checkout and it wouldn't read my code - I tried quite a few times before I gave up and broke out my key card. Now also I was at CVS this weekend, and instead of using my cvs app, I used the one in KeyRing, the clerk had the gun and it still wouldn't scan. I reverted to my cvs app at that point.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding the same thing however they can always key in by hand I suppose. Also, I hear having a screen protector can affect it?

Idk, I've had the CVS app for about a mth now, and never had a problem scanning with my phone with the screen prot I have on it. But I had a prob with KeyRing. Idk.