Is Google giving Apple the shaft via YouTube?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder whether or not Google has begun changing the way videos display on YouTube via iOS 6, since Apple dropped both Map and YouTube from the iPhone. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about YouTube video streaming can provide more information.

Since iOS six was released and we lost the YouTube app on the iPad, I've noticed that a lot of videos that used to play on YouTube via Safari no longer work, now stating that they require flash player. Several of my own videos used to play fine in Safari, but now require flash player to work. This is obviously annoying, and I'm beginning to wonder if Google might have changed things up in order to shaft Apple customers and iOS users and drive people to Android.

Any thoughts?

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thoughts? Heh, heh, heh. Why should Apple be the only ones to shaft Apple users? Let Google spread the love - as irritating as that may be.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Why would you not use m.youtube.com?

I have set that as my bookmark on the home page. I think the web app is much better than the App Store one or the legacy one on the previous generations of the OS.

cctpitts01

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't what problems you are having with App Store version but its 10x better then the legacy and web version. My only gripe is not having the ability to disable the HQ when in a area with low reception.

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't what problems you are having with App Store version but its 10x better then the legacy and web version. My only gripe is not having the ability to disable the HQ when in a area with low reception.

What do u mean "disable" the HQ? Because I can't get it out of crap quality when I'm using the new or legacy app. The only way I can happily watch vids on YouTube is via m.youtube.com
There is a little HQ button in the lower left hand corner of the vids and u can turn it on or off it u go thru the actual site. I always have mine on HQ because without it, it looks horrible and grainy. I don't know what the OP is talking about with the vids just completely not working tho, that would really suck. And if google did that on purpose that would suck even more. iOS used to "just work" but recently I've found that I can do more and more of the things I like to do on android devices. Not hating or trolling on apple but its the cold hard truth. Only thing is that most android devices don't have the awesome feel of iOS and the iPhone itself. I'm waiting to see what the nexus 2 looks like for now I'm kinda enjoying the iPhone 5 except that the touchscreen is about 25% less sensitive and it has actually lagged on me a few times plus a purple haze in all my well lit photos and I have lines that flicker on my keyboard. Kind of pissed but I still enjoy everything else.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Wow if I has that many gripes about a phone and still thought it was better than android, I don't think I would even hold my breath in hopes of finding anything that worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Wow if I has that many gripes about a phone and still thought it was better than android, I don't think I would even hold my breath in hopes of finding anything that worked for me.

Hey just trying to be honest. I've used both devices and just haven't decided which I like better. I didn't say I liked either platform more than the other I was trying to explain how I like both platforms I am not one sided. And those aren't really gripes , the purple in the camera and flickering lines on the keyboard I'm sure they are just bugs that apple will smooth out in iOS 6.1 .

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I was just playing :) sorry not used to emoticons yet etc. etc. I hear a lot of complaints about both platforms, and almost all of them are rightfully earned. Have a great day

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Oh ok cool, I thought I was getting "flamed" haha. Ya I'm lovin the iPhone 5 tho, and plus I have way too much $$ and time invested in iOS apps and stuff to just let it go. I have my eye on the nexus 7 tablet from google tho, $250 for the 16GB one and it has the pure android experience being a nexus device. I'm holding off though until I see this rumored iPad mini which I hope is a true rumor, it's weird there's been so much hype on the iPhone 5 that I haven't heard one thing about the iPad mini at all after the 21st sept lol

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I hear ya, I'd love to see an iPad mini myself but for some reason I just don't see it. I mean where would the price fall, apple has done an excellent job of tying up every logical price point from the shuffle to the iPad to the iPhone. I think the arguments that the iPod touch and the iPod mini appeal to two different markets is a pipe dream.
OTOH the recently announced 32 GB 9 inch nook tablet for 299 sure does look appealing.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't understand why people downloaded the app and wasted their precious space on the phone...

it's only 8.8 megabytes. It's hardly a big download. Hell i got 64 gigabytes and almost 40 of it is music. Only about 10 is apps. the rest is photos and 10 gigs of empty space. I'm not pressed for space. It's like adding one more song.

Regardless i really the new official youtube and haven't had any problem with playing videos. I've also downloaded Jasmine. it's ok. But i have no problem and i'm perfectly happy with this version of a youtube app vs the last one. I don't think Google is doing anything special to screw up Apple. In fact i think it's simply the same crappy youtube website it's always been. On my desktop google runs horribly. It stops loading videos midstream all the time for no reason. it stutters, hangs my browser, etc. Interestingly just earlier today i got tired of waiting for a video to load and stop freezing and i pulled out my iphone and played the video on that no problem (over the same network my desktop was on too).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73