To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While were improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
    Apples CEO

Finally. This is really all I needed.
    Last edited by metrion; 09-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    09-28-2012 10:38 AM
    Wonderful. FML.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    09-28-2012 10:41 AM
    Does that mean you're going away now? I hope so.
    09-28-2012 10:46 AM
    Does that mean you're going away now? I hope so.
    Fingers crossed...
    09-28-2012 10:48 AM
    This is Tim's appeasement for the impatient morons who are unwilling to give Apple a chance to improve their (Apple's) maps.
    kch50428, leahg725 and Fausty82 like this.
    09-28-2012 10:52 AM
    09-28-2012 10:53 AM
    Well glad to see at least an acknowledgment. Hopefully they'll get it all straightened out soon.
    09-28-2012 10:54 AM
    Why doesn't apple have a maps.apple.com

Why isn't it available online? Or on anything other than Apple devices?
    09-28-2012 01:11 PM
    Why doesn't apple have a maps.apple.com

Why isn't it available online? Or on anything other than Apple devices?
    They're doing just because of you. They want to make you so mad you'll troll about the Internets complaining about how mad you are.
    Fausty82 and scorpiodsu like this.
    09-28-2012 01:13 PM
    How could Apple have a sensible Mapping solution if it's only available on iPhones and iPads?
    09-28-2012 01:21 PM
    How could Apple have a sensible Mapping solution if it's only available on iPhones and iPads?
    It's very easy. They keep doing as they are. And it makes sense - they're working on the product - and perhaps when they've got the initial bugs worked out, maybe they'll expand access to their maps via the web... but keep in mind, they're not doing it to please you.
    09-28-2012 01:24 PM
    09-28-2012 01:36 PM
    I am actually quite happy with maps application. I have used it on the road the past few weeks and it worked just as it should. The other extra stuff that some seem to hate does not effect me. But I still do hope things are addressed.

Give it time. "Google" was not built in one day either........
    BLiNK likes this.
    09-28-2012 01:38 PM
    It's very easy. They keep doing as they are. And it makes sense - they're working on the product - and perhaps when they've got the initial bugs worked out, maybe they'll expand access to their maps via the web... but keep in mind, they're not doing it to please you.
    Yes, they are. That's what the products are created for.
    09-28-2012 01:39 PM
    Yes, they are. That's what the products are created for.
    No, they are not. They are doing it to make money. They want to make those customers happy that have the capacity to be happy. But they could care less what you or I, as individuals, think or want. As with anything, it's evolutionary... and it will continue to get better until maybe even you like it. But none of us are holding our breaths for that.

Again, the maps are good enough for me at this time... and not at all bad for a "first effort". Google's maps sucked worse than this in their first several iterations... give it time.
    kch50428 likes this.
    09-28-2012 02:19 PM
    Let's remember this, too...Apple did not "build Apple maps from the ground up". In 2009, Apple bought a mapping software development company called Placebase. In the summer of 2010, Apple acquired a 3D mapping firm called Poly9. In August 2011 Apple bought a 3D mapping company C3 Technologies. They've been working on this for over 3 years.
    09-28-2012 02:27 PM
    No, they are not. They are doing it to make money. They want to make those customers happy that have the capacity to be happy. But they could care less what you or I, as individuals, think or want. As with anything, it's evolutionary... and it will continue to get better until maybe even you like it. But none of us are holding our breaths for that.
    Riiiight, that's why they fixed Antennaegate. That's why they employ Geniuses all around the world to listen to us. And that's why they acknowledged the mistake they made with Maps.
    09-28-2012 02:31 PM
    Apple Advises Maps Users Not to Go Anywhere
    Apple Advises Maps Users Not to Go Anywhere : The New Yorker

LMAO
    09-28-2012 03:31 PM
    I used it today and it was spot on so idk why so many people are having a conniption fit it will get better with more searches and use so either use it and contribute or use something else and stop complaining
    John Yester likes this.
    09-28-2012 03:42 PM
    The OP sure has a false sense of entitlement and a bit trollish now. Just sounding more and more ridiculous each day. Like they just joined a few days ago to say silly stuff lol.
    09-28-2012 05:40 PM
    I used it today and it was spot on so idk why so many people are having a conniption fit it will get better with more searches and use so either use it and contribute or use something else and stop complaining
    I bet many of the people complaining probably barely use maps apps and used the new app and found many problems. Just going off what they read. And I agree its not as good as googles. Google makes a living on know where everything and everyone is. But I'd suspect the majority of users probably don't know who don't care much. One dude in another thread didn't even know maps and YouTube were gone from iOS 6. My wife doesn't know either lol.
    09-28-2012 05:43 PM