Find my iPhnone - is this right?

steveg_nh

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that when logged into iCloud, it can't find the phone, and says I can get notified when it's located. But the phone is right there, charged, and with wifi or a 3G connection. Shouldn't it be found? I can't recall how it was on 5.1.1, but I do recall that any time I used that function (mostly for fun) it always found it. Now it seems like it can't find the phone unless it's "awake."

Thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that when logged into iCloud, it can't find the phone, and says I can get notified when it's located. But the phone is right there, charged, and with wifi or a 3G connection. Shouldn't it be found? I can't recall how it was on 5.1.1, but I do recall that any time I used that function (mostly for fun) it always found it. Now it seems like it can't find the phone unless it's "awake."

Thoughts?

Do you have the "Find My iPhone" feature turned ON on your device? If not, iCloud will not be able to locate it.

steveg_nh

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the "Find My iPhone" feature turned ON on your device? If not, iCloud will not be able to locate it.

Yes, it's on. Always has been since 5.0. What I'm saying is, it seems like iCloud doesn't locate it if it's asleep, or has been for a little while. Not until it is woken up will it be found. I noticed, and mentioned in the wifi thread, that when I wake it up too, I see it switch fro 3G back to wifi. Wonder if it's all related.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's on. Always has been since 5.0. What I'm saying is, it seems like iCloud doesn't locate it if it's asleep, or has been for a little while. Not until it is woken up will it be found. I noticed, and mentioned in the wifi thread, that when I wake it up too, I see it switch fro 3G back to wifi. Wonder if it's all related.

As long as your phone is powered on, it should locate it. I haven't used my 4S in a bit. I'm perusing the forum via my MacBook while watching the Boise St vs BYU game via my iPad 2. I just logged on to the iCloud website and selected to locate my iPhone. Not only was it quickly locate it,so was my iPad 2 & my MacBook. Afterwards, I disconnected my 4S from my Wi-Fi and then logged back into iCloud to see if it could be located. It was and was located quickly.