Do Not Disturb Question

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I gotta ask now that people have used this for a while. Is there any way to get selective SMS messages from specific persons while in the DND mode?

Brad Bilger

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind, I'd like to bring this question back from beyond. I've had this problem with DND and was wondering if there was any quick fix to this. I've used the DND Feature since it first came out and love it. I have Notifications set for DND from 11:00pm to 5:00 am and it works great. Actually, TOO great. The only thing that I want to set up for DND is Email. I get text messages for Weather warnings, Emergency notifications, my burglar alarm activation when I am away, someone from my crew calling in sick.... Things like this. All I want quiet during that time is my Email. I get several emails that are computer processed such as forum updates, direct deposit check stubs, spam, junk mail... that come in all hours of the night. If I set up DND on notifications, I get total silence during that time. I'm afraid that when I am out of town, or at work, that my alarm system will go off and I'll not get a notification either by text, or voice call. Is there any way to set up DND on notifications to ONLY affect email? Everything else, I need to get 24 hours a day. Anything that gets sent by email can wait until the morning. Text and phone calls are a totally different story though.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Brad - you can use the "Favorites exception"... in your contacts list - edit the contact(s) that you want to to reach you at all hours... at the bottom of the contact screen for each is "Add to Favorites"... then select the phone number(s) and email addresses you want to be able to contact you at all hours as Favorites... then in the DnD set up, allow calls from Favorites...

Brad Bilger

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I can see what you are saying and it does make sense. But what about SMS messages that are computer generated? Such as Weather warnings, or my alarm company? Those don't come in with a phone number, but something like 360-84. By the way, I love the quick response I got to an old thread.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
DnD doesn't play well with sms or email notifications... or 3rd party apps... I use My-Cast - and subscribe to the alerts function on it on my iPhone, and it alerts me fine when the phone is in DnD for the things I have it set up to alert on.

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
@Brad; This is going to sound like I am pimping for the app, but I use BackBoard for exactly the reasons you specified above. I need to get SMS in the middle of the night, not the least of which is from my kids. But I also work for a County F.D., and get emergency recall and incident info I need to respond to. BackBoard allows me to set up a "profile" that sets the alerts for email to "none", but allow SMS alerts to come through. OR, if you want to spend the time, you can set the alert for SMS to NONE also, then assign a specific SMS alert sound to the contact entry and then it will still alert when that contact sends you a SMS.

For the record, I have tried setting up a contact with a short ID as you described, i.e. 626-12, as a mobile number and it worked.

There is a whole thread HERE where this is discussed.

Just trying to help...

Brad Bilger

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Must be a common problem then. Battalion Chief for a City Fire Department. But then again, we are used to getting up in the middle of the night for silly stuff. Guys, I thank you very much for your help. I've gotten some good ideas and gonna try out and see if they work.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I set my phone on DND mode on, but I do not get calls from my favorites. Please help.

Settings>> Do Not Disturb>> Allow Calls From>> Make sure 'Favorites' is selected and you have people in your Address Book/Contacts as favorites that you want to bypass DnD.