Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks D. Yes, it's turned on in both locations and notifications. It has worked in the past, it just takes 5-10min for it to pop up the notification. By then, they've already made my coffee and I'm out the door. In fact, the second time I went there, the notification popped up when I got into my car to leave...which makes the app worthless to me.

I love the idea of Passbook. I'm in Starbucks frequently and often more than once a day. This would be great if it worked. So far, it hasn't...at least not for me. My hope is that it gets better.

Oh okay. Still, you were able to pay for your coffee via your Starbucks card in Passbook, right? If so, then I agree with the other person who mentioned that the problem is more likely GPS-related. Personally, that's not a problem for me because I'm used to firing up the Keyring app to be scanned for reward savings and it'll be the same for me with Passbook. Anyway, I hope it works itself out and get back to working like it is suppose to for you, my friend. In the meantime, take care and have a great night. ;)

Last edited:

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh okay. Still, you were able to pay for your coffee via your Starbucks card in Passbook, right? If so, then I agree with the other person who mentioned that the problem is more likely GPS-related. Personally, that's not a problem for me because I'm used to firing up the Keyring app to be scanned for reward savings and it'll be the same for me with Passbook. Anyway, I hope it works itself out and get back to working like it is suppose for you, my friend. In the meantime, take care and have a great night. ;)

Actually, I could have used Passbook but paid by opening the Starbucks app. Thanks for the replies and you have a great night as well!

I think the needing to be in favorites is just a Starbucks thing. The company that creates the passcard specifies the geofences for it. So I'm guessing that for something like an airline ticket, the airline would have it geocoded to the departure airport, so no favoriting needed.

If you click the 'i' on the pass card for Starbucks it will show you the locations it is looking for. It doesn't mean you can't use the pass card in other Starbucks, that's just the locations it is looking for to auto popup the pass card.

Good to know about Starbucks Karen! I'll make sure to favorite those I frequent in hopes it works. I really do have faith in Apple...ultimately they want their products / apps to work and 95% of the time they do just that. Guess I'm just being a bit overcritical since the Apple experience is usually flawless. Have a good one!

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Just curious about how the Starbucks Passbook card works and the possible direction of Passbook in general... How do you get money on the Passbook card? Can you link it to a credit card? Do you have to manually add funds?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just curious about how the Starbucks Passbook card works and the possible direction of Passbook in general... How do you get money on the Passbook card? Can you link it to a credit card? Do you have to manually add funds?

You manage/replenish your card either online or via the Starbucks app and Passbook works in conjunction with the Starbucks app in regard to getting the card into Passbook and keeping track of your balance. At least that is how it appears to me. As for linking credit cards and such, all of that is done through Starbucks either online or again, via its app. Passbook appears to just be a payment system. With the Starbucks app installed, you really don't need Passbook, in my opinion. Note: I am not an expert on Passbook and I am just giving you my interpretation....;)

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
You manage/replenish your card either online or via the Starbucks app and Passbook works in conjunction with the Starbucks app in regard to getting the card into Passbook and keeping track of your balance. At least that is how it appears to me. As for linking credit cards and such, all of that is done through Starbucks either online or again, via its app. Passbook appears to just be a payment system. With the Starbucks app installed, you really don't need Passbook, in my opinion. Note: I am not an expert on Passbook and I am just giving you my interpretation....;)

Ok, so if you add a credit card to your Starbucks account online... If you go to buy a coffee and have $0 balance on your Starbucks Passbook card, will it charge your purchase to your credit card or do you have to go to the website and replinish the Passbook card first?

I'm wondering if at some point we'll be able to add a credit card to Passbook or link it to the credit card on file w/ iTunes and make all of our purchases. OR if we'll always have to go in online and fund gift cards for each indivdual store we might shop at.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so if you add a credit card to your Starbucks account online... If you go to buy a coffee and have $0 balance on your Starbucks Passbook card, will it charge your purchase to your credit card or do you have to go to the website and replinish the Passbook card first?
I don't know. Remember to look at passport as sort of an electronic copy of your actual Starbucks card. Instead of reaching in your wallet for the card, simply use the electronic version of the card either via the Starbucks app or via the Passbook app. I would think that the Starbucks app itself would accommodate the question you asked being that you can add credit card information to it as well as manage your account. Again, I don't know for certain.

I'm wondering if at some point we'll be able to add a credit card to Passbook or link it to the credit card on file w/ iTunes and make all of our purchases. OR if we'll always have to go in online and fund gift cards for each indivdual store we might shop at.
Only time will tell, my friend.

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I know it's been mentioned that once your have your vendors app associated with Passbook, you can delete the vendors app.
But I'm not sure this will work with the Target App.
The only thing that loads into Passbook is a Target Coupon. You still need the app to see what new coupons are available. Then you add that new coupon to Passbook by clicking on "add to passbook". Right?
TIA

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Another question,
How are we going to be informed when new apps are Passbook compatible?
When you search the App Store, nothing appears when you search "Passbook". I thought maybe there would be a special section that lusted the apps (like it did whenyounfirst opened the Passbook app). Or maybe the App Store is just down.
TIA

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Another question,
How are we going to be informed when new apps are Passbook compatible?
When you search the App Store, nothing appears when you search "Passbook". I thought maybe there would be a special section that lusted the apps (like it did whenyounfirst opened the Passbook app). Or maybe the App Store is just down.
TIA

They've had a section on the main page of the app store. You may have to scroll left or right to see it.

There really should be a better way. :(

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Tks Karenkcoulter,
I found it.
Good Luck

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Tks kilcher,
I agree, it should be easier.
I found it.
Good Luck

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Tks JMD.
I finally found it.
Can you answer the question in my post # 98 about deleting the Target app once hooked up with Passbook?
TIA

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Tks JMD.
I finally found it.
Can you answer the question in my post # 98 about deleting the Target app once hooked up with Passbook?
TIA

You're very welcome, my friend. As for the Target app, I don't have it installed. I did at one time just to experiment with it, but I deleted it. Anyway, you're right. Passbook will not auto-update the Target coupon without the Target app installed.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I gonna keep it until I go to Target and try Passbook.
Tks kilcher.
Good Luck

---------- Post Merged at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:19 PM ----------

You're very welcome, my friend. As for the Target app, I don't have it installed. I did at one time just to experiment with it, but I deleted it. Anyway, you're right. Passbook will not auto-update the Target coupon without the Target app installed.

Ok Tks JMD
Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner