Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have these in passbook so far

IMG_1648_zps9e2da76e.png

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So clarify one thing. Once an app is in Passbook, you can delete it from the iPhone and it will still be in Passbook?

Yes. At least that is how it is with Walgreens. Once I got it into Passbook, I immediately deleted the Walgreen's app. It's place within Passbook was unaffected.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't have to wait for some companies to jump on board. The iPhone has a camera. It has bar code scanning ability. You should snap a picture of your loyalty card bar code, and be done. This exists in KeyRing. Most store logos are in KeyRing. If they can get that ability into Passbook (as they should have done), it would be a winner.

as a practical matter you a company or store needs to be able to handle the passbook scanning on a phone. Take an airline. if you don't have the proper scanners it does nothing but cause problems and confusion having people load up their milage plus card into the app if it can't be scanned at an airport. Like i have a ralphs card, and i can scan it, photograph the barcode, and at some point possibly add it into passbook, but the problem is my Ralphs only has the old school laser bar readers and they can't read an old style barcode off a phone, largely because the glass screen ruins the reflection. It needs better scanners. Like notice starbucks has those special square readers meant for reading phones. I notice when i use my phone boarding pass on Delta they have special readers with a square pattern not a laser line. I can imagine you don't have the ability to read that in businesses you'd be doing nothing but causing hassle to employees trying to deal with irate customers that expected things to work. I downloaded Keyring too last night. i'll try it but even in keyring it says how certain scanners arent' going to be able to read barcodes off a phone so there's also a clear infastructure component to these things.

now all that being said. Apple should have had it's ducks in a row and a bunch of businesses fully ready at launch.

Daniel Gaming freak

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
ios 6 Passbook is integrated with the security so that users can use rewards card that can be redeemed easily. I would say i really like this App.

Last edited:

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
as a practical matter you a company or store needs to be able to handle the passbook scanning on a phone. Take an airline. if you don't have the proper scanners it does nothing but cause problems and confusion having people load up their milage plus card into the app if it can't be scanned at an airport. Like i have a ralphs card, and i can scan it, photograph the barcode, and at some point possibly add it into passbook, but the problem is my Ralphs only has the old school laser bar readers and they can't read an old style barcode off a phone, largely because the glass screen ruins the reflection. It needs better scanners. Like notice starbucks has those special square readers meant for reading phones. I notice when i use my phone boarding pass on Delta they have special readers with a square pattern not a laser line. I can imagine you don't have the ability to read that in businesses you'd be doing nothing but causing hassle to employees trying to deal with irate customers that expected things to work. I downloaded Keyring too last night. i'll try it but even in keyring it says how certain scanners arent' going to be able to read barcodes off a phone so there's also a clear infastructure component to these things.

now all that being said. Apple should have had it's ducks in a row and a bunch of businesses fully ready at launch.

I get that, and agree. But my local Wegmans has new scanners that read the bar code on Keyring. Other older stores I go to have older scanners that don't work. So they manually type the account number in. Just like the might type a phone number in to find you if you don't have a card with you.

These programs are out there and available (often for free), so there's no reason for Apple to release a similar program that has less features, is harder to set up and use, and requires registration with a third party web site to gain access to a minimal number of card accounts.

---------- Post Merged at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:17 PM ----------

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
well i was just responding to the part about "You shouldn't have to wait for some companies to jump on board" because the phone has a scanner. Scanner or not that doesn't solve the problem on the business end. Sure you can enter numbers manually in plenty of situations but, there are plenty where you can't. I mean i don't know about how it works if you have a card for say, kinkos, or Banana Republic, or Virgin Airlines, or Dodger Stadium ticket, and on and on. That one grocery store can enter numbers doesn't mean A random airline trying to move people through security as fast as possible is ready for to manually enter digital boarding passes that fail to read or even that the airline can read your card at the checkout counter at all. I got several cards that don't even have barcodes. They have just the strip. it has to be swiped. There's no number to enter. I just think for many businesses it's not a simple matter of copying the numbers.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
This is actually the reason Apple didn't go with NFC - the business end. There's nowhere to use it. You have to work backwards from whatever standards exist - you can't try to create new standards.

gary.l.fletcher

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Used passbook for the first time today. Rolled up to target and behold, my Starbucks card showed on my lock screen. Swiped it and there it was ready to be scanned! Scanned twice for to two coffees to increase my stars! Loved it!

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Evidently there is an issue with my phone or iOS...for the fifth time now I've gone into Starbucks and it hasn't worked. First several times it took 5min to pop up...not exactly a benefit. This time went in, used the facilities, ordered my coffee, and walked out. Total time in store ~10 minutes. No notification at all. I even connected to their WiFi and opened the actual Starbucks app thinking that may trigger it. Nothing. I even chef to make sure the actual app listed a location where I was and sure enough, big blue dot right on top of the pin for that store location.

To my knowledge, there's nothing special to do for it to work other than add the card to Passbook correct?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Evidently there is an issue with my phone or iOS...for the fifth time now I've gone into Starbucks and it hasn't worked. First several times it took 5min to pop up...not exactly a benefit. This time went in, used the facilities, ordered my coffee, and walked out. Total time in store ~10 minutes. No notification at all. I even connected to their WiFi and opened the actual Starbucks app thinking that may trigger it. Nothing. I even chef to make sure the actual app listed a location where I was and sure enough, big blue dot right on top of the pin for that store location.

To my knowledge, there's nothing special to do for it to work other than add the card to Passbook correct?

Just to refresh and without me having to read previous posts (I'm lazy today), Passbook is turned on in the iPhone's "Location Services" AND it is setup via the "Notifications" option. If it is not then you will NOT get a pop-up notification when you are near a Starbucks store. As for your specific question, having the Starbucks card in your Passbook, aside from the aforementioned, is a convenient way to pay for your Starbucks purchases without having to go into your wallet or purse.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses Karen and D. Yes, it's turned on in both locations and notifications. No, this store isn't a favorite as its not a normal location for me. I wasn't aware that it needed to be for the app to work. Will I have to "favorite" the airports I travel thru to get my United or Delta apps to work? I would hope not. Not trying to be snarky, just asking the question. You wouldn't think you'd need to favorite them but I've been wrong before.

It has worked in the past, it just takes 5-10min for it to pop up the notification. By then, they've already made my coffee and I'm out the door. In fact, the second time I went there, the notification popped up when I got into my car to leave...which makes the app worthless to me.

Don't get me wrong- I love the idea of Passbook. I fly frequently and am in Starbucks often more than once a day. This would be great if it worked. So far, it hasn't...at least not for me. My hope is that it gets better.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods