Will iOS 6 be an OTA update?

ckalli

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Will iOS 6 be an OTA update? from 5.1.1 ?

or would we need to download a 700mb ipsw.. if its ota it would be a good time to go back to stock 5.1.1 from my jailbreak.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
my apologies. i believe when going from 5.1.1 to 6.0 will need to be done via computer. but all the delta updates are available OTA

i could be wrong..?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This is the first major update we have seen since we have had the OTA option. It will be interesting to see if it's supported, since the stated benefits of OTA and iCloud backup were to eliminate the need for a computer...

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere a while back that for major release it would be done via computer. Only the . updates would be ota. Can't cut the cord if 6 is not ota. Guess we will find out soon

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This is the first major update we have seen since we have had the OTA option. It will be interesting to see if it's supported, since the stated benefits of OTA and iCloud backup were to eliminate the need for a computer...

this makes sense, hopefully that is the end result. thanks Tim

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I am going with plugging into update. I do recall them saying point updates were OTA when they released 5.0 and 6 isn't a point update. Who knows. Doesn't matter to me because I will be starting from scratch. I just have to back up my game saves first.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully it's an OTA. They may try to restrain it to Wi-Fi only in a future 5.0 update just so people don't mistakenly go over their data caps.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully it's an OTA. They may try to restrain it to Wi-Fi only in a future 5.0 update just so people don't mistakenly go over their data caps.

I can definitely see it being wifi only. Downloading the beta took my computer 2 hours, so I would not even attempt it over 3G even if it were an option.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
am i the only here that still prefers to update via ipsw file? and as new most of the time

No, you are not. Although, OTA updates have worked well for me and are very easy to do, I still prefer connecting to iTunes a starting as new and I plan to do the same when iOS 6 drops. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR