iOS 6 maps is nice - the maps look good and directions are sound. Heck, I can even live without StreetView (though I will mourn its passing in iOS). However, the searching for places within the app is horrendous compared to Google's. Major shopping centres are there - in fact, it finds almost nothing useful. Maybe it's ok in the US but in the UK (Glasgow, Scotland, in my case) it's useless. Searching for petrol actually has pins for places that aren't petrol stations.

The end result. I don't trust it, which is a shame because it's really pretty.
    Maria210375 likes this.
    08-24-2012 03:45 AM
    So download google maps when available in the App Store.
    08-24-2012 07:41 AM
    iOS 6 maps is nice - the maps look good and directions are sound. Heck, I can even live without StreetView (though I will mourn its passing in iOS). However, the searching for places within the app is horrendous compared to Google's. Major shopping centres are there - in fact, it finds almost nothing useful. Maybe it's ok in the US but in the UK (Glasgow, Scotland, in my case) it's useless. Searching for petrol actually has pins for places that aren't petrol stations.

The end result. I don't trust it, which is a shame because it's really pretty.
    I've had quite the opposite experience when searching, it's getting a lot better now, my only complain is that it doesn't show the interstate exit numbers here in Florida..
    08-24-2012 10:28 AM
    I've had quite the opposite experience when searching, it's getting a lot better now, my only complain is that it doesn't show the interstate exit numbers here in Florida..
    Firstly, thanks for the politer less curt response than the previous guy :-) I suspect it's a UK thing. I have been going through marking many of the items as wrong so that they get fixed in future updates. I'm trying to help improve it as I go - it's much prettier than Google Maps ;-)

Probably got a beta and a GM left before release (as well as the fact that all the info sits on their server so they can continuously make changes there) so we may see a bigger improvement in the UK.

I only mentioned it as its unfortunate that in certain countries the usability will be decreased. Guess I can use whatever Google release until Apple catches up. It is very good for a new product but it is still a drop in functionality.
    08-24-2012 12:57 PM
    Guess I can use whatever Google release until Apple catches up.
    Glad you see it my way.
    08-24-2012 01:20 PM
    Firstly, thanks for the politer less curt response than the previous guy :-) I suspect it's a UK thing. I have been going through marking many of the items as wrong so that they get fixed in future updates. I'm trying to help improve it as I go - it's much prettier than Google Maps ;-)

Probably got a beta and a GM left before release (as well as the fact that all the info sits on their server so they can continuously make changes there) so we may see a bigger improvement in the UK.

I only mentioned it as its unfortunate that in certain countries the usability will be decreased. Guess I can use whatever Google release until Apple catches up. It is very good for a new product but it is still a drop in functionality.
    Like we discussed here before, Maps isn't going to be Google maps anytime soon, good thing you'll have a choice in a few months..
    08-24-2012 03:39 PM
    Does apple have sort of recommendation box where you would be able to list your local business and petrol stations ( whatever those are ) for the uk? If so as is the case with google and their maps i would advise you to clutter it up with suggestions or at least email the companies so that they can be aware
    08-24-2012 11:11 PM
    according to my experience, it's really perfect to use.
    08-27-2012 10:28 PM
    my biggest beef with the new maps app in iOS 6 is the poorer res for a lot of the satellite imagery... i'm sure eventually it will improve, but they are far behind google in this respect... i'm not in a big city... so for those in metro areas, it might be a lot better... but where i'm at, the difference between google maps satellite images and those from the new apple maps app is huge...
    09-08-2012 11:33 PM
    my biggest beef with the new maps app in iOS 6 is the poorer res for a lot of the satellite imagery... i'm sure eventually it will improve, but they are far behind google in this respect... i'm not in a big city... so for those in metro areas, it might be a lot better... but where i'm at, the difference between google maps satellite images and those from the new apple maps app is huge...
    Seconded. Luckily my out of town area just got a slight update improving res somewhat but at the expense of.... Clouds?! Never seem this on google maps. Clouds obscuring half of the view.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    09-09-2012 08:14 AM
    Seconded. Luckily my out of town area just got a slight update improving res somewhat but at the expense of.... Clouds?! Never seem this on google maps. Clouds obscuring half of the view.

Click to view quoted image

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    I think that's pretty cool. I'm sure if it happened to me I'd be pissed. What happens when you zoom in??
    09-09-2012 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD