iOS 6 = Awesumeness

NetworkLabs

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing any widgets in any of the beta versions in iOS 6, so unless something changes between now and the release I'd say get used to much of the same.

Well, true. I didn't think about iOS 6 already being in beta form and not having widgets... But then, I just realized something. We already have a Widget system! The Notification Center! If you look under Notifications under Settings, you'll see Weather Widget. So technically, we already have one in iOS 5. I will see about iOS 6 in a few.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, with iOS 6 and the possible release of the iPhone 5, they might. Because the reason Android probably has Widgets is due to there usually big screens. Now, when iPhone 5 comes out, all that might change.

Screen size has nothing to do with widgets. Android has had them since screen sizes were same as the iPhone, some even smaller. Just an advantage in androids favor. I use both this HTC Rezound 4G LTE I am typing this on and my iPhone 4. Both have good n bad versus the other.

I agree Apple needs to be more innovative with ios as it is boring. Very stable and user friendly, but boring. With that said, I am looking forward to the newest iPhone, hopefully with Verizon's 4G LTE in tow!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, true. I didn't think about iOS 6 already being in beta form and not having widgets... But then, I just realized something. We already have a Widget system! The Notification Center! If you look under Notifications under Settings, you'll see Weather Widget. So technically, we already have one in iOS 5. I will see about iOS 6 in a few.

Don't get the "notification center" confused with widgets, as these two are definitely not the same. Sorry to disagree with you here, but having the weather inside the notification center is not a widget, IMHO.

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Don't get the "notification center" confused with widgets, as these two are definitely not the same. Sorry to disagree with you here, but having the weather inside the notification center is not a widget, IMHO.

I used Android for years before I finally got fed up with the lag, restarts, instability and fragmentation and switched to iOS. I never missed the widgets, in fact, I hate widgets, I so much prefer widgets in the notification center because I only see it when I want to see it, not all the time in my face as it is the case with Android.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
No need for android widgets to be "in your face" all the time. It is up to you if you load widgets on the home screens.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: redbeard

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I used Android for years before I finally got fed up with the lag, restarts, instability and fragmentation and switched to iOS. I never missed the widgets, in fact, I hate widgets, I so much prefer widgets in the notification center because I only see it when I want to see it, not all the time in my face as it is the case with Android.
Even with the Android OS, one has a choice of whether they want to use widgets or not. I know when I had my Androids in the past, I only kept one or two of them on my first screen.

Avenged110

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, why does the weather app icon always show sunny and 73 degrees? You'd think by now Apple would figure out a way to show live weather info from the home screen icon without having to launch the app itself. A more interactive and visually exciting springboard would be an "awesome" change, but instead we still get "blah."

I'd rather have a phone that works with a battery that actually lasts all day than some ridiculous and utterly pointless "excitement" added to the springboard. Don't understand people's obsessive need for change ? there's nothing wrong with the "boring" grid of icons ? it works, and works well.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather have a phone that works with a battery that actually lasts all day than some ridiculous and utterly pointless "excitement" added to the springboard. Don't understand people's obsessive need for change ? there's nothing wrong with the "boring" grid of icons ? it works, and works well.

Do you buy the exact same make, model and color car everytime? Do you wear the exact same clothes every day? Do you eat the exact same food every day? Change is good. Change is the opposite of stale and boring.

Sent from somewhere

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you buy the exact same make, model and color car everytime? Do you wear the exact same clothes every day? Do you eat the exact same food every day? Change is good. Change is the opposite of stale and boring.

Sent from somewhere

No, we do not buy the same color and make and model of cars because all cars take you from point A to point B. I needed a phone that does what it does well, Android is so fragmented and laggy and unstable, for me, it does not take me from point A to point B as smooth as iOS does.

htabbach

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Even with the Android OS, one has a choice of whether they want to use widgets or not. I know when I had my Androids in the past, I only kept one or two of them on my first screen.

It is true that you can chose to add widgets to your home screen or not, but if you need to use it, it is there in your face all the time. I prefer it on the NC because I only see it when I want to see it and it does not make my home screen busy.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It is true that you can chose to add widgets to your home screen or not, but if you need to use it, it is there in your face all the time. I prefer it on the NC because I only see it when I want to see it and it does not make my home screen busy.

If one chooses to use it with Android they do so knowing that it will always be there. I disagree with the fact that it is "always in your face" as you say here, only because with a lot of the newer Android devices you can make the icons any size you want. I always kept the 2 that I used very small. Just enough that I could see them, but they didn't jump off my screen so to speak. To me, having the weather in the notification center is useless as I don't even bother with the notification center anyway, YMMV.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it amazes me how bad some people insist on having the weather on their LS/HS.. ARE WE meteorologists now???

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
it amazes me how bad some people insist on having the weather on their LS/HS.. ARE WE meteorologists now???

Just for the record, I'm not one of these people, as I don't need to see the weather more than once a day. Do we really need to see the temp. going up or down every hour? LOL.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

C'mon, Blink. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having or wanting to have weather information on the lock/home screen. To some (me included), it's convenient to simply tap the wake button and see that tidbit of information or to see the temperature badge via the weather app icon on your home screen. There is nothing wrong with that. :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
C'mon, Blink. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having or wanting to have weather information on the lock/home screen. To some (me included), it's convenient to simply tap the wake button and see that tidbit of information or to see the temperature badge via the weather app icon on your home screen. There is nothing wrong with that. :)
How ofen do you need to see the weather is my question? I get the same info from my fox360 app in the morning, which doesn't change by the end of the day. Maybe things are different where you're at, though.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How ofen do you need to see the weather is my question? I get the same info from my fox360 app in the morning, which doesn't change by the end of the day. Maybe things are different where you're at, though.

How often do I *need* to see it? I don't need to see it at all. Do I want to see it at a glance *when I want to see it*? Most definitely yes! ;)

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
The whole point of my original post on this thread was not to compare Android to iOS. The point I was trying to make is that Apple is about ready to release the sixth version of iOS and it STILL looks awfully similar to the first version. It's all based on a grid of mostly static icons. I, for one, cannot comprehend why Apple continues to release basically the same thing over and over again. I thought Apple prided itself on innovation? Why are we still getting stale, stagnant, rehashed and visually uninspiring versions of iOS?

Sent from somewhere

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The whole point of my original post on this thread was not to compare Android to iOS. The point I was trying to make is that Apple is about ready to release the sixth version of iOS and it STILL looks awfully similar to the first version. It's all based on a grid of mostly static icons. I, for one, cannot comprehend why Apple continues to release basically the same thing over and over again. I thought Apple prided itself on innovation? Why are we still getting stale, stagnant, rehashed and visually uninspiring versions of iOS?

Sent from somewhere

If the phones sell better and better every year, does a OS need to be redone? No you make minor UI changes as they did with iOS 6 and add some new features. You change too much and you risk a lot. Apple isn't one of the most valued companies in the world if they didn't know way they were doing.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Sent from somewhere

It can be argued that Apple innovates in regard to hardware as well as making that hardware easy to use. At the same time, they are currently the world's most successful company selling the world's most successful smartphone and it doesn't make business sense to alter the operating system drastically and risk losing the customers who praise the "ease of use" of Apple's devices. Techy types, I *think*, are not Apple's target market and techy types are arguably the primary people pushing for changes in both design and in the operating system, in my opinion.