i saw a link on youtube with instructions on how to load iOS 6 beta 3 without needing a dev account. i know someone who followed the instructions, and it did indeed work properly, not asking for activation or ID number. now some people are stating in the comments on the youtube link that you will be able to update OTA to either the next beta or iOS6 without issue when the time comes. i cant see that being true since i thought that each update requested inputting the ID to activate. can anyone comfirm this or not? ive never used the iOS betas, so i dont know what their update procedure is.

and since this isnt selling a dev spot, can this even be asked here?
    07-25-2012 09:30 PM
    i saw a link on youtube with instructions on how to load iOS 6 beta 3 without needing a dev account. i know someone who followed the instructions, and it did indeed work properly, not asking for activation or ID number. now some people are stating in the comments on the youtube link that you will be able to update OTA to either the next beta or iOS6 without issue when the time comes. i cant see that being true since i thought that each update requested inputting the ID to activate. can anyone comfirm this or not? ive never used the iOS betas, so i dont know what their update procedure is.

If you dont know how to install it. Arent very experienced, or dont have a udid with a dev or a dev account. I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
    07-25-2012 09:43 PM
    If you dont know how to install it. Arent very experienced, or dont have a udid with a dev or a dev account. I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
    that wasnt the question. i said it was already installed. i was curious if now that its installed, would OTA updates to the next beta or the final OS6 be allowed or would it lock up and request the UDID upon update.
    07-25-2012 09:45 PM
    that wasnt the question. i said it was already installed. i was curious if now that its installed, would OTA updates to the next beta or the final OS6 be allowed or would it lock up and request the UDID upon update.
    The answer is "maybe". The official answer from Apple is that you need your UDID registered with a valid developer account to get/load/use the beta software. I've seen the reports that you speak of... but in reality, it's a crapshoot. And the deck is stacked against you... sooner or later it's probably going to stop working, leaving you with a bricked device. Not sure how it's worked this far... and the hopeful amongst us will say that since it's worked so far, it probably will continue to work... don't bet on it. I would not do it... but I guess we don't know until we try it.
    07-25-2012 09:52 PM
    well, if it "bricked" couldnt you just restore it back to 5.1.1?
    07-25-2012 10:05 PM
    well, if it "bricked" couldnt you just restore it back to 5.1.1?
    Yes... you have to work really hard to brick an iOS device to the point that you can't get it back... but it's an inconvenience... and could happen at an inopportune time...
    07-25-2012 10:16 PM
    true, well i have the 5.1.1 ipsw file so i would be able to manually restore at anytime, should i decide to take the risk. i back up to icloud, so i wouldnt be losing much. just was curious about the updating process.
    07-25-2012 10:49 PM

I did this for the Beta 2, and the Beta 3 was available OTA through the normal Settings > General > Software Update; I was able to update with no trouble.

No, it's not selling, it's simple hacking. Since they have a section for jailbreaking(hacking), I can't see a problem with this.
    07-25-2012 11:14 PM
    I did this for the Beta 2, and the Beta 3 was available OTA through the normal Settings > General > Software Update; I was able to update with no trouble.

No, it's not selling, it's simple hacking. Since they have a section for jailbreaking(hacking), I can't see a problem with this.
    perfect, but what do you think will happen when the official iOS comes out? and you werent prompted for a dev ID when you updated OTA?
    07-25-2012 11:20 PM
    perfect, but what do you think will happen when the official iOS comes out? and you werent prompted for a dev ID when you updated OTA?
    I'm not sure, but if anything does go wrong, I'll be able to restore it.
    And no, it didn't ask for my UDID when I updated to Beta 3.

EDIT: This is important. If you want to restore the device through iTunes, you'll have to use the option-click when you click on 'Restore' and manually select 5.1.1..
    Last edited by Exxod; 07-25-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    07-25-2012 11:30 PM
    I'm not sure, but if anything does go wrong, I'll be able to restore it.
    And no, it didn't ask for my UDID when I updated to Beta 3.

EDIT: This is important. If you want to restore the device through iTunes, you'll have to use the option-click when you click on 'Restore' and manually select 5.1.1..
    yea ive seen that, and i have both ipsw files. word is you will be able to keep updating to every next beta ios 6 until official 6 is released. just wanted to know if this was indeed true.
    07-26-2012 12:02 AM
    So far, it is true. And if Apple doesn't patch this expliot, then this should keep working for all the betas until 6s' official release.
    07-26-2012 12:59 AM
    So far, it is true. And if Apple doesn't patch this expliot, then this should keep working for all the betas until 6s' official release.
    sounds good to me. thanks.
    07-26-2012 01:28 AM
    just loaded 6.0 beta 3. so far so good. guess ill wait to see what happens.
    07-26-2012 03:29 AM
    Okay. Keep me posted. So far, you're the only other person here that I know of that's used this method.
    07-27-2012 12:54 AM
    Okay. Keep me posted. So far, you're the only other person here that I know of that's used this method.
    well things are looking good so far. guess time will tell. good thing i have my trusty old Nokia 6590i as a back up phone.
    07-27-2012 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD