Question about new Map app.

crackercraig#IM

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
When iOS 6 is released and we have the new map app with turn by turn and voice guided navigation, will this require an internet connection? Will it use data? or will it function more like a Garmin type GPS that has built in maps?
Im thinking of upgrading from my old school iPad 1 and getting the new iPad but not sure if I can get away with the wi-fi only model. I rarely ever use the 3g function on mine.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The new stock maps app will likely require a live connection, at least at first, and may evolve later to cache maps.

You can have what you want with any wifi iPad as long as you have an external source for GPS data as the wifi iPad does not contain an autonomous GPS receiver of its own - there are bluetooth GPS pucks available, or - a BadElf device that plugs into the charging port that supplies the GPS receiver & data... then you download any one of several GPS apps that include the full set of maps the app uses on the device. Navigon is the one I use on my iPhone, and iPad. Works very well.