maps idea

R3dM0nd

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really sure if this would work, but through jailbreaking wouldn't it be possible for someone to extract maps from ios5 and make it a standalone app for ios. I am switiching to the iphone either way just wondering if that is even possible.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Anything is possible, BUT is it likely? We just don't know, it's too soon to tell. My guess is that someone WILL try it.

maraneric

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
All apps that use mapkit would still use Apple's new maps. They would have to introduce a lower, OS level hack to re-enable Google maps for all apps.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If there's a will, there's a way

I want the old maps with Siri integration. But I want the new Maps with breadth and transit and Siri integration. Hmmm...

All Apple has to do is add transit, and I think it might be good. Apple maps shouldn't be as bad as all that...

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
the more i use the new Maps in iOS 6, the more there are things I like, but also the more I dislike. The map quality from TomTom SUCKS. Maybe in big city centers, it's a wash with Google, but out in the sticks, where I live, the reduction in Map detail is massive. Not to mention many incorrect or outright missing features (roads, rivers, etc).

but I guess this is the FIRST version of it... hopefully Apple can push things and get it to be equal to or better than Google maps...

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
In the beta 2 notes... hope yet for better detail in satellite view...

Map data will continue to evolve?only a limited amount of high resolution satellite imagery is currently available.