TTC (Toronto) Users! Be wary of iOS 6 upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have upgraded to iOS 6, but I'm starting to regret it. It turns out Apple's Maps are somewhat deficient when compared to Google Maps, especially in my scenario (iPhone 4, in Toronto, Canada).

I don't know if this has been noted on these forums, but Apple's Maps has no TTC directions for public transit users. It will probably take them a while to add Toronto, it took Google several years to cater to our lowly, unimportant, multicultural epicenter of the world. This has severely hampered my phone's usability for me, especially considering that if you don't have a 4S you don't have 3D or flyover, and Apple's maps do not have street view.

The servers are also very slow for the map images but that's likely not going to be a problem come launch time.

I'll be (begrudgingly) using Google Maps' web app until I get the new iPhone in October (and Apple adds TTC!).

Last edited:
Reactions: ModeratorOMD

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I JUST said this!! Down with iOS6! :mad:

Well there are some good things like the share widget and Facebook integration, full-screen browsing AND scheduled do-not-disturb modes... Love all that stuff but losing functionality in Maps is not cool, no matter who makes the damn maps.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't be mad at Apple. Be mad at TTC. It's their job to serve their users. Not Apple's. The ability will be there in iOS6 for a developer to use the Map sdk and make an app for their system. Apple's done their job. Now it's up to TTC to commission an app, or an enterprising developer to meet a need, and make some money. What a concept. :eek:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well there are some good things like the share widget and Facebook integration, full-screen browsing AND scheduled do-not-disturb modes... Love all that stuff but losing functionality in Maps is not cool, no matter who makes the damn maps.

Oh, full screen browsing huh? I already had that. And I actually don't care about the other stuff. I quit Facebook a long time ago, tired of them ads.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Apple will be handing off many mapping abilities like transit and such to third party developers to integrate into Maps. This wasn't something that just magically happened. Apple will not be adding it back. I am wondering perhaps if you should have waited a couple of days to get other people's feedback on this and then make your decision on whether to upgrade.

BTW, you can always go back to 5.1.1. Just put the phone in DFU and restore.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Don't be mad at Apple. Be mad at TTC. It's their job to serve their users. Not Apple's. The ability will be there in iOS6 for a developer to use the Map sdk and make an app for their system. Apple's done their job. Now it's up to TTC to commission an app, or an enterprising developer to meet a need, and make some money. What a concept. :eek:

No. It's APPLE'S JOB to provide a service that is EQUIVALENT to the service they are replacing. They have effectively made my phone less useful to me than it was when I bought it by removing that function and street view. They owe it to their customers to keep the original functions of the device at purchase in tact.

RE: other commenter
They have a transit directions button just like Google Maps did. I believe they intend to offer it natively in the future.

Further, I should not have to downgrade my phone to retain the original functionality. That is complete and utter sycophantic bull****.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModeratorOMD

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have upgraded to iOS 6, but I'm starting to regret it. It turns out Apple's Maps are somewhat deficient when compared to Google Maps, especially in my scenario (iPhone 4, in Toronto, Canada).

I don't know if this has been noted on these forums, but Apple's Maps has no TTC directions for public transit users. It will probably take them a while to add Toronto, it took Google several years to cater to our lowly, unimportant, multicultural epicenter of the world. This has severely hampered my phone's usability for me, especially considering that if you don't have a 4S you don't have 3D or flyover, and Apple's maps do not have street view.

The servers are also very slow for the map images but that's likely not going to be a problem come launch time.

I'll be (begrudgingly) using Google Maps' web app until I get the new iPhone in October (and Apple adds TTC!).

To return your device to when you were happy with it, simply remove iOS 6 BETA and reinstall iOS 5.1.1 or whatever version you had prior to installing the iOS 6 BETA. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Reactions: Fausty82

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So, by you logic, Apple can only add features. They can't remove them... where's my 3.5" floppy drive in the macbook pro?? I'm not buying your logic. Apple is going to let the marketplace of ideas and developers innovate and fill the void for the functionality you desire rather than having it baked in to the IOS. That is not a bad thing. TTC can commission an app and have that be more accurate and responsive than Apple would ever be - that would be TTC providing a better service to their customers, or as I said - an opportunity for a developer to fill a need in the marketplace - maybe even (gasp!!) make a profit from it. Egad! How horrible!!

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
No. It's APPLE'S JOB to provide a service that is EQUIVALENT to the service they are replacing. They have effectively made my phone less useful to me than it was when I bought it by removing that function and street view. They owe it to their customers to keep the original functions of the device at purchase in tact.

RE: other commenter
They have a transit directions button just like Google Maps did. I believe they intend to offer it natively in the future.

Further, I should not have to downgrade my phone to retain the original functionality. That is complete and utter sycophantic bull****.

I echo this. And I think it's irresponsible for Apple to drag their users into this back and forth Google vs Apple lawsuit crap. That is why they're doing it right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jellotime91

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...

In no way am I trying to start a war with you, but c'mon. iOS 6 is BETA and is NOT available to the general public as a finished and everyday usable product. Most of the people who have installed iOS 6 BETA understands that it is an unfinished OS and is for developers to test as well as prepare their apps to function properly with it when it is released as a finished product. To say that you shouldn't have to downgrade to retain the original functionality is debatable. I would agree wholeheartedly with you if iOS 6 was a finished product, but it is not and therefore I cannot. It would probably be more prudent for you to offer your suggestions as well as voice your dissatisfaction directly to Apple or via its developers forum, if applicable. I mean no disrespect with my comment and I hope you don't take it that way. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I echo this. And I think it's irresponsible for Apple to drag their users into this back and forth Google vs Apple lawsuit crap. That is why they're doing it right?

If you don't mind, explain how Apple is dragging their users into a back & forth Google vs Apple lawsuit crap, as you've stated?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind, explain how Apple is dragging their users into a back & forth Google vs Apple lawsuit crap, as you've stated?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Because we're the ones feeling the pinch. They're making their own maps for no other reason than to not have Google Maps. Because its competition. We don't get updates YouTube app because it's competition, and they also want to filter our search so that we don't have to use Google.

Apple is systematically weening us off of Google. Why? Because its Android. What does that have to do with us, nothing. We don't deserve it.

Reactions: Jellotime91

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Because we're the ones feeling the pinch.
How so?
They're making their own maps for no other reason than to not have Google Maps. Because its competition.
Is that not their prerogative to do so? It is no secret that Apple has always been about Apple
We don't get updates YouTube app because it's competition,
You can still go to www.youtube.com to watch videos via Safari.
and they also want to filter our search so that we don't have to use Google.
Microsoft tried to do that with Bing, but that didn't go too well, in my opinion. I love the new Google search app for iOS and it is my go-to item when I want to search something and I search daily. If Apple took away the Google search app, I would simple go to www.google.com via Safari and search.

Apple is systematically weening us off of Google. Why? Because its Android.
Again, it is their prerogative and if we are to change that, consumers, as a whole, must stop buying Apple products. Then they will listen but if only 2% of its user base complains and the 98% does not, they will not waste their effort on the 2% and I wouldn't either.
What does that have to do with us, nothing. We don't deserve it.
You're assuming that everyone is affected or are complaining and that is untrue.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
How so? Is that not their prerogative to do so? It is no secret that Apple has always been about Apple.

Yup. Just like safari is the slowest of the internet browsers, but Apple is proud of it.

QuickTime is the world's slowest video player, but Apple still wants you to use it.

Firewire never took off, but Apple still pushed it.

I know that many people will upgrade to iOS6 because they have have no use for maps. Especially those really sedentary people that never leave their homes. But people have to understand that..

....fragmentation is going to happen.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Just like safari is the slowest of the internet browsers, but Apple is proud of it.

QuickTime is the world's slowest video player, but Apple still wants you to use it.

Firewire never took off, but Apple still pushed it.

I know that many people will upgrade to iOS6 because they have have no use for maps. Especially those really sedentary people that never leave their homes. But people have to understand that..

....fragmentation is going to happen.

I hear you and thank you for replying. I guess I'm just, I don't know, old school. I grew up with a map book and during my days in the Marine Corps traveling to various places to drink, party and chase the girls, a Rand McNally map helped me reach my destination. A few years back, I purchased an in-vehicle Garmin GPS unit which works wonderfully and I keep it updated. With that in mind, if a smartphone didn't come with built-in turn by turn navigation or even a map, I'm not hindered in the least and I think a lot of people fall into that category. Besides, thanks to willing developers, I could always use Waze, MapQuest or any of the paid mapping apps. I just think too much is being made about Apple's new mapping feature and what it does and does not do especially when there are 3rd party remedies.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

you went and updated to a beta software of iOS 6... it is NOT RELEASED! How can you be mad for something you voluntarily did, and took upon the risks, which are CLEARLY labeled on Apple's Developer site... it's not like you upgrade to iOS 6 by accident... you voluntarily upgraded, now you must deal with what comes with running a beta software that isn't ready for prime time.

What is up with all the whiners about iOS 6?? Apple should run CLOSED beta's from now on to avoid this childish reaction to software that isn't yet ready for release....

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i do agree the whining overall is getting old around here and other places..

but Jello is a Developer ;)

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
i do agree the whining overall is getting old around here and other places..

but Jello is a Developer ;)

That's kinda funny then... and even sadder for a developer to be complaining... at least devs SHOULD understand the risks and downsides... apparently not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative