I'm NOT Upgrading to iOS6 at all

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
LOL starting at 13:36

#FAIL

Let's be fair here, Apple has had several gaffes in their keynotes as well.

Apple Keynote Bloopers!! - YouTube

But damn this is so heavily scripted. There must be a teleprompter of some sort somewhere. I can see it now, <show kickstand now>, <flick screen now>. To be honest though, this would be the first tablet I would consider.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I recently heard that there was No public transport in Maps from iOS6? Hold up. Stomp with both feet on the brakes to a screeching halt! Stop everything.

That's a definite deal breaker.

And an excuse not to update to iOS6 at all. I use Maps all the time.

I sure hope Apple Maps isnt half assed. I need bus routes, walking, search tool, satelitte, all that. What is this claymation of empty white buildings on Apple Maps? If it isn't better than Google Maps, I don't want it. At least an option.

What's stopping you from updating to iOS 6?

So you can never get a 6th gen iPhone or anything newer ;)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I do wonder what MS can do for me and how these work with each other, if I have a PC w/windows 8, Surface RT, xbox, and windows phone 8 vs a Mac, apple tv, iphone 5, and ipad all on iOS 6 & ML. So far, i'm hearing bits and pieces of each. I guess we'll see a clearer pic in the fall from both Apple and MS to compare ecosystems.

Presently, i use a windows 7 PC, windows 7 laptop, iphone, ipad, xbox, and apple tv so i could shift either way or keep it mixed.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
According to Leo Laporte, part of the reason for the issue with public transit maps is that in some countries (he mentioned Austria), the "public"transit system is privately owned and they have their own app. Apparently there was a huge kerfluffle between them and Google over the transit stuff in Google Maps. He mentioned it near the end of this week's MacBreak Weekly podcast...

Found a link that describes the issue:

Why There?s No Public Transport In iOS 6 ? Yet | Gizmodo Australia

So, it turns out that it's not an issue with Apple, it's a governmental issue.

Reactions: BLiNK

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe it matters if the transit system is gov't owned or privately owned - it's not Apple's job to serve the customers of those various transit systems. They need to serve the needs of their customers and give them access to schedules, routes, etc. in ways that the customers can use - and now 'days, that means making apps for smart phones. Apple will make apps possible - that's their job. They've done that. Now it's up to the developers to innovate, and make products that people will buy, and make the developers money. What a concept. :D

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
According to Leo Laporte, part of the reason for the issue with public transit maps is that in some countries (he mentioned Austria), the "public"transit system is privately owned and they have their own app. Apparently there was a huge kerfluffle between them and Google over the transit stuff in Google Maps. He mentioned it near the end of this week's MacBreak Weekly podcast...

Found a link that describes the issue:

Why There?s No Public Transport In iOS 6 ? Yet | Gizmodo Australia

motoleo, would you like to retort?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I'll speak for him:

"I don't live down under. I live here so I don't care what the aussies do. They can go chase kangaroos and use google maps to find their way."

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
motoleo, would you like to retort?

Obviously the guy who wrote this story wanted to take advantage of this little debacle. He starts off the article good, and then the article broke down into not knowing the key event that happened and then spiraling into rumors.

The bottom line is that the feed to Google got terminated because they could not calculate the routes. Whoever was providing Google the feed, gave them bad information. Whoever was running the apps (he was talking about) had bad information. You know where it came from. I have in mind that Google would have brought the transit data back up if they'd had more control over it.

Public transportation is just that, public. So I don't want to hear any cockamamie stories about governments fighting for transit data, that's ridiculous.

I suppose Apple had to start over if they wanted a Map app that could do Siri and turn by turn, but keep Google Maps within it, or give us the option to switch to it. Or even better, keep Google Maps as the official one, and put Apple maps in the app store.

Especially for iPhone 4 users, there's nothing in it for them, they don't get any of the "KEWL FEACHERRS".

Really, they've only lost mapping data, that's it!

You mean to tell me, that with iOS6 maps, I can ask Siri to direct me somewhere, and the only response I'm going to get is by car or walking? #FAIL. I guess I can't go downtown anymore.

Am I going to take that risk? No, I'm going to do the smart thing and stay in iOS5 until a good ole jailbreak saves the day. Or I could stop using Siri and use Google Maps from the Internet on iOS6.

But rather than face iOS6 in all it's #FAIL glory, I would rather stick to iOS5, with all the other Apple users. iOS6 is an optional upgrade designed for fragmentation.

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
That's how you get around down there, trolleys and other things like that, I mean, it's huge down there. I'm not going to risk getting lost down there.

As long as I have my iPhone, with iOS5, I can have my adventures.

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I guess I can't go downtown anymore.
This brings me back to your original point that I responded to, but you conveniently paid no attention to. It seems like you go downtown in whatever city you're in rather frequently. How do you have such little knowledge of the public transportation system that you need your phone all the time? I don't live in NYC anymore and still know the subway lines well enough to get around with no problem.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, because I don't know the entire city, and I'm not trying to learn the entire city. I go to one place, which might be a place that I frequently go or don't frequently go.

For example, if I wanted to go from the Aquarium to the Museum, and stop at a place to eat in between. Am I really going to spend time searching up the routes and asking for directions and where the nearest pick up is?

Or am I just going to ask Siri and go straight there?

And plus, you might know your part of the city, but realistically how much would that be, 0.1% ?

I don't stay in the same city for long either, I have other states to travel to. But I don't have the time nor the inclination to explain myself to you.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
But I don't have the time nor the inclination to explain myself to you.

No, but you do have the time for long-winded posts and replies to an issue that, for now, isn't available to you in a beta form (on the 1st beta for iOS 6) that may or may not be fixed in a future beta release. It's been previously explained the issues that apple has right now as far as transit routes go. Now, you may not believe that those other governments aren't involved or that the transit routes aren't privately owned / operated (with their own app and all). But, if you honestly think that governments don't have their hands on certain aspects of travel or that the same can't be said of private companies who own those specific transit routes and produce their own app for it, then you're naive, and this whole thread is just to blow smoke and create tension for no reason.

In other words, #FAIL.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73