I'm NOT Upgrading to iOS6 at all

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering how long it would take before someone pointed this out.

Just because Apple is making their mapping solution the default, doesn't mean you won't be able to use goog maps if that's what you prefer.
Google will definitely submit a maps app to the AppStore to satisfy people who feel as you do, because if they lose your eyeballs, they lose money.
Apple will have to approve it, or leave themselves open to charges of anti competitive behavior.

You will have a choice.

P.S. I'm not even half way through this thread yet, so hopefully I haven't repeated something that's been said already.
;)

And if Apple gives Google $hit when submitting to the App store, then I bet it will at least be in Cydia.

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
It's very clear that the beta versions of iOS are for DEVS to test their software and get it ready for the public release. It's not BS to try and educate people of that fact when they go off on ridiculous tirades. Whether it's a "99 dollar beta program available to anyone who signs up" is irrelevant. Even if the beta program was free for devs, that wouldn't diminish the responsibility of those who install it on their iPhones.

Also, Apple is NOT promoting iOS 6 on their website except to developers. You have to go to this developer page to see the iOS 6 stuff:

Click to view quoted image

Everywhere else on Apple's website, iOS 5 is promoted. I do agree that, for those who know about iOS 6, it's natural to want to check it out early, but doing so comes with the responsibility of NOT complaining when there are bugs or perceived missing features.

It's on apples front page and here Apple - iOS 6 Preview.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I see some hostile reactions and name calling which I find disappointing.

I am legally blind. I can't drive. I can't see street signs. I can however watch the blue dot on google maps and see it coming near my stop, and know to pull the string telling the bus to stop.

and third party maps isn't nearly as slick because its not integrated like apples maps is.

1. its not a crime to express disappointment in something apple does, nor does it make you an apple hating android fanboy

2. I find it very egocentric of people to dismiss transit as trivial just because they don't use it. for people like me it is vital, especially when I'm navigating unfamiliar areas.

3. telling me to suck it up butter cup, no I won't. If I'm gonna drop 200 or more on a phone it better do what I need. I don't owe apple a damn thing.

I'm gonna wait to see how this all plays out but there's a real possibility of me switching platforms over this. I'll just have to wait and see how much of a hassle this will be vs what hassle switching would cause. I'm gonna wait till the fall, after iPhone 5 is announced and then make my final decision.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I am on the 6.0 beta. There are walking directions and public transportation directions. Everyone calm down. I'll post pictures if I have to...

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am on the 6.0 beta. There are walking directions and public transportation directions. Everyone calm down. I'll post pictures if I have to...

please do. video too if you can.

Show for example; will I still be able to use the blue dot to know where I am and will it show the bus stops so I know when to pull the string teling the bus driver to let me off?

Thanks for the help!

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Walking, yes. Public transportation, nope. I hope you prove me wrong cause it would quiet a lot of critics about the app.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The critics would move on to something else to be overly vocal about. :D

you nailed it. the only reason we're bothered by this is because we all secretly hate apple.

So we're just looking for any excuse to bash apple.

my having an iMac that I love, an iPad that I love (and that I fully intend to keep, since I never use it to navigate anyway) and an iPhone I've been thoroughly satisfied with up to this point, were all a put on, but you just had to blow my cover!

Damn you!

Android Rules! Microsoft Rules! Apple Sucks! LOL

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Android isn't even on my radar. I just don't think Apple should have kicked Google Maps to the curb.

They assume that we all self consciously hate Android.

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Geez, what a baby. Google already said it will bring the Google Maps app to the App Store with full features during their keynote a week before WWDC12. Ya see? You'll have a choice. Get over it and upgrade. Your whole reason is BS.

What!!!! I hope like hell this is true. I would gladly pay whatever reasonable price they would chrge for that app!

Then i could have the best of both worlds. iTunes and google maps.

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Android isn't even on my radar. I just don't think Apple should have kicked Google Maps to the curb.

They assume that we all self consciously hate Android.

Android is not on my radar either. Cannot let go of iTunes. But if apple kicking this half a$$ google maps to the curb means tht we get a full feature google map app in the app store, then please apple get ta kikn!

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's all right here guys. No need to panic.
View attachment 16661

iOS 6 is a good upgrade. Even if maps didn't have transportation and walking directions, I'm sure there are other maps to fulfill those needs. No need to not update. That would be stupid.

Last edited:

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna upgrade. other than maps I think iOS 6 kicks ass. and if google maps comes as a third party app, and integrates nicely with apple maps, I'll be one happy customer.

thats why I'm not jumping ship just yet. I'm expressing my concerns now, and waiting to see what the final result will be. if it works OK, I plan to get the next iPhone upon release.

anyway that said, to dublex, your screen shot has walking highlighted, not transit. can you do it again, this time touching the transit button?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's all right here guys. No need to panic.
View attachment 16661

iOS 6 is a good upgrade. Even if maps didn't have transportation and walking directions, I'm sure there are other maps to fulfill those needs. No need to not update. That would be stupid.

Well, now... wasn't that a fine waste of time, energy and bandwidth? Imagine that, the sky is NOT falling, after all. SMH

barkerja

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I recently heard that there was No public transport in Maps from iOS6? Hold up. Stomp with both feet on the brakes to a screeching halt! Stop everything.

That's a definite deal breaker.

And an excuse not to update to iOS6 at all. I use Maps all the time.

I sure hope Apple Maps isnt half assed. I need bus routes, walking, search tool, satelitte, all that. What is this claymation of empty white buildings on Apple Maps? If it isn't better than Google Maps, I don't want it. At least an option.

What's stopping you from updating to iOS 6?

So it seems you're a tad confused about what's coming in iOS 6's Maps, as well as many others. And the idea of delegating transit to third party developers seems to put many off here.

First, there are walking directions that are identical to how they where prior to iOS 6, so that is unchanged. The only feature that has changed is how Maps now handles/retrieves transit directions/times.

We've yet to see exactly how this new transit feature will be implemented, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has a clever way to allow partnered-third-party-services to tap into the Maps app natively.

Now, let me explain to you why I think this is a better approach than to what Google offered: choice and rapid accessibility. Currently, with Google Maps, if you don't live in one of their supported markets, you're S.O.L. for transit directions, but you can likely download a third party app to fill that gap. If Apple allows some level of integration (like I mentioned above) the flexibility this provides would be monumental. Your smaller rural areas that do have transit systems but aren't available within Google Maps may now be a part of something much bigger.

I have no clue if this will be the case, but it certainly feels like this is the direction Apple is going with Maps.

My only concern with the new Maps is data. I'm concerned that it won't have nearly the amount of place data that Google has, which could be troublesome; but I will hold all judgment until we see the public release.

Last edited: