I'm NOT Upgrading to iOS6 at all

mladd

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
This is a disaster.
Apple maps is too lacking. Turn by turn is nice, but it's not more
important than transit, which should have been the main focus. Where's that petition? I'm going to start emailing some people, creating awareness.

A few of things.
1) Where on Apple's site does it state they have removed transit maps, which you claimed.

2) Stating "...it's not more important than transit" should be finished with " for me". I resepct that you may need transit maps, but I could care less. So it's hardly more important than driving directions, for me. Everyone has their own needs and wants, based on their personal comforts, device application, etc... Please do not assume everyone thinks the same as you.

3) This is a developer preview release. How else do you expect ANY company to get developers to have their existing apps ready or develop new apps, for the final release. This "it's beta" complaint is just ignorant and you obviously have no concept of software or hardware (or ANY) development cycles and the amount of work that goes into it.

4) Apple has publicly announced over 100 million businesses and location on their mapping program when it's released this fall.
Google has 80 million.

5) Feel free to visit Apple - Feedback and let THEM know how you feel about "missing" features of unreleased software. Posting rants and complaints here will not help your case at all and only annoys the other members.

mladd

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Careful with Facebook Integration

I'm probably gonna update just for Facebook integration. I'm 16 & tbh I hate going into the FB app to do ANYTHING. Plus ways the harm? I didn't expect ios 6 to b revolutionary anyway...

Besides posting links or pics, the integration doesn't seem that great.

Just remember...Don't ever, EVER, allow Facebook access to your contacts in the app (today) or iOS6. FB renames your contacts to what their Facebook names are and removes information that isn't in their FB profile. Make sure you have a backup.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm confident Apple will flesh out the app over time.

The one thing that concerned me and had nothing to do with something being in beta is this:

Apple's view, elaborated on by SVP of iOS, Scott Forstall during the Keynote, is that developers have done such a tremendous job with public transit directions that Apple would rather hand off to them and not reinvent the data wheel.

That was Palm's attitude. While it sounds good in theory, it didn't work very well. Remember Palm's music app? Or any other half baked core app in webOS? The popular response was to go install a third party app. Why should Palm waste time reinventing things when the 3rd party stuff was superior?

Why indeed. Because it's the OS. It's what get's reviewed by the techies and viewed by the mainstream. Apple will be judged by what's on their homescreen.

Remember the target audience. It's mainstream stupid. People will not WANT to (or be aware of) install 3rd party apps to take the place of every barebones app you can't remove from Apple.

Not to mention these Apple maps are baked in the OS. Ask Siri something? You'll get these maps. Tap on anything in a different app to bring up a map, it'll be these new maps most likely.

Anyways, just wanted to put that out there. While it's still way too early to get that concerned about missing Maps features, the responses of just download a 3rd party app sound way too familiar. To hear an Apple VP want to pass the buck to devs is concerning.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Possible Solutions

[clipped]

Frequently Made Posts

iOS6 is in beta, how can you complain about something that isn't out yet?

We aren't complaining about Apple Maps, per se, we already know that Apple Maps is not as good. It's new, and there will be... sigh YET ANOTHER waiting game.

The notion of replacing the existing app system is already here, and that's what we are not having. Couldn't they just leave Google Maps in there and have the option to switch to Apple Maps? They aren't giving the user what's best for them. This is the kind of action performed by a company in haste.

[clipped]

Under your logic, Apple (or any other company for that matter) shouldn't improve or change anything. The 1.0 version of ANY software is just a starting point. How many years has Google been improving and updating their Maps program? You are making a broad, sweeping statement saying that "we already know that Apple Maps is not as good." Some people (probably most users) will think:

Turn-by-Turn direction >>>>>>>>>> a stale doughnut >>>>>>>>> Public Transportation.

Like I said in another post: what works for me, may not work for someone else. The inverse is also true. What works for you might not work for someone else. I'd be interested to see how many people actually use a public transportation feature. I can't imagine Apple cutting that out if it was heavily used.

From a business standpoint, Apple SHOULD be using their own Maps application. iOS's biggest competitor is Android. Why on earth would Apple want to continue to support the competition?! This was not a "move in haste," if anything, it was a well calculate business decision.

Last edited:

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Just remember...Don't ever, EVER, allow Facebook access to your contacts in the app (today) or iOS6. FB renames your contacts to what their Facebook names are and removes information that isn't in their FB profile. Make sure you have a backup.

This has not been my results. Maybe with the Facebook App Sync, I tried this once and the past and it was horrible. But, apples implementation doesn't change anything. In fact, FB contacts are a separate contact group. None of your existing contacts, pics, calendar items are changed. A new group for each is added.

You can see my post here regarding my experience.s

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You guys are so far gone. You don't live in the city or anything, you don't take subways, trains or anything like that you always have cars at all times?

[Pause] ... I know that Apple Maps is a first generation product, .... OK?

Doesn't anyone see the logic in Apple deploying their own mapping system AFTER they have a actual mapping system, with all of the selling points being better than what's currently out there? Or is that just me?

Is there something wrong with that? It seems logical to me.

Unfortunately, I don't care that it's first generation. If I installed iOS6, I would try to delete Apple Maps and replace it with Google Maps, or another one, whichever one is better.

And Apple maps, I don't care if it's new, it has to be better.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

And I believe that it will be better. Eventually. Google has been growing their maps for close to 10 years now. Same with MapQuest and others. Unless Apple secretly developed maps and released the "finished" product some day, they will always be behind. Ten years is a huge head start... but if they're going to do it, why wait. They have to start sometime, and now is the time.

In the meantime, find your self a map tool that works for you and ignore Apple's offering until, in your opinion, it's a competitive product.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
You guys are so far gone. You don't live in the city or anything, you don't take subways, trains or anything like that you always have cars at all times?

[Pause] ... I know that Apple Maps is a first generation product, .... OK?

Doesn't anyone see the logic in Apple deploying their own mapping system AFTER they have a actuall mapping system, with all of the selling points being better than what's currently out there? Or OS that just me?

Is there something wrong with that? It seems logical to me.

Unfortunately, I don't care that it's first generation. If I installed iOS6, I would try to delete Apple Maps and replace it with Google Maps, or another one, whichever one is better.

I'm a public transit user. I know my routes and times, I can easily get directions on the transit system's mobile website. I travel all over the world myself, and have never relied on Google Maps to get me where I'm going.

Google Maps might be better at this point, but there is a war going on in the smartphone arena if you haven't noticed. And so what if Apple doesn't want the competitions software as a main component of the phone, this is logic... business logic. iOS is not an open platform (neither is Android, but I digress). They have, and I think it was a smart move to prepare their own mapping system. Now lets see what happens.

We understand that you must have a problem finding you way out of the basement without Google maps, but most of us, and sounds like a good majority, are ok with this change.

If you said you were crippled and it had an wheelchair route, fine, this might make sense if Google had a wheelchair route. But you cant look at a map, plot a point, and figure out how to get there. Regardless, if you need bus/train times there are other means.

And from a Development standpoint, writing an application is a living animal, it grows and it matures. I guess you don't remember iPhone 1.0. Compared to iOS 6, it sucked big time, and lacked basic basic features for a smartphone.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
\Ten years is a huge head start... but if they're going to do it, why wait. They have to start sometime, and now is the time.

Everyone had a jump on iPhone when it was first released, now look... For Apple a map will not be an issue to make competitive....

Apple=Racket96

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

I thought I read it was adding twitter/fb composer to NC?

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I thought I read it was adding twitter/fb composer to NC?

There is:

View attachment 16653View attachment 16654

BTW this is how it looks in Mountain Lion:

Screen%20Shot%202012-06-16%20at%2011.56.47%20AM.png

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
And I believe that it will be better. Eventually.

I'm confident Apple will flesh out the app over time.

I can almost guarantee that with the next 2 - 3 betas of iOS 6, Maps will undergo some changes.

Waaaaaaah! So wait

Wow. You all seem real patient. Wating for existing features? :confused:

Oh.My.God.

I totally see Apple going with your idea of keeping BOTH mapping apps...not only would that be super confusing for non-nerds but it is redundant for 99% of the tasks.

We have options for search engines. Yahoo, Bing, Google, and now Baidu. Makes more sense than being sent to a store for transit. That's like, inane. Who thought that up?

I'm a public transit user. I know my routes and times, I can easily get directions on the transit system's mobile website. I travel all over the world myself, and have never relied on Google Maps to get me where I'm going.

mh4js7_th.png

There is only one answer to this Transit Dilemma. And I firmly believe in Jailbreaking. ;)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Wow. You all seem real patient. Wating for existing features? :confused:

We have options for search engines. Yahoo, Bing, Google, and now Baidu. Makes more sense than being sent to a store for transit. That's like, inane. Who thought that up?

Click to view quoted image

There is only one answer to this Transit Dilemma. And I firmly believe in Jailbreaking. ;)

The alternative is waiting for google or microsoft to make its own hardware, open up some retail stores that aren't a joke, offer comparable support, resulting in an end product that performs like the iphone. I don't see that happening.

Waiting on Apple to flesh out some insignificant minor features that few care about in a Maps app looks preferable to me.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Ok, transit routes I understand, but walking routes... problems reading a map the old fashioned way?? I'm sure you're not walking 20 miles or anything. Enter an address and create own route...

My My, now I can truly say we have become too reliant on technology if we have to follow a blue line to get where we are going... smfh. lmao :p

it goes beyond "reliance." iMap enables public transit.

I have lived near NYC for more than fifty years. For the first twenty, I relied upon taxis for navigation. Any New Yorker can tell you that that no longer works. The New York taxi drivers no longer know where anything is. If one does not know the intersection, forget it.

About thirty years ago, I began to use the subways but always with some difficulty. Until iMaps, I never used the buses. One day, when planning a trip from my club to the apartment of my best friend, I pressed the "wrong" button and discovered that there was a bus from door to door. The last time I was in London, iMap did not know the Tube but did know the buses.

Most transit riders are commuters who know only the route from home to work and back. iMap made it accessible to the rest of us. Wonderful.

As to walking. I am not very good at using iMap for walking. I get disoriented.

All that said, I no longer rely on iMap for transit. I now use HopStop. It knows more about NYC and is easier to use. Its limitation is that, so far, it only knows about the 21 biggest cities in the US. In London I use "Underground." I do not fear iOS6 because I have apps.

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I can get around today. Anywhere. Any time. And if someone asks me where Sams Club is, I can direct them to it in 10 seconds flat. Provided several routes. I have the lay of the land. And public services to get them there the fastest way possible.

Next year is going to be a different story.

Last edited:

taguluchi

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok, transit routes I understand, but walking routes... problems reading a map the old fashioned way?? I'm sure you're not walking 20 miles or anything. Enter an address and create own route...

My My, now I can truly say we have become too reliant on technology if we have to follow a blue line to get where we are going... smfh. lmao :p

I agree with you 100 percent ( is there any apps that have walking routes and public transportation

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Don't worry. Google Maps will soon enough be in the App Store when iOS 6 is public.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone pointed this out.

Just because Apple is making their mapping solution the default, doesn't mean you won't be able to use goog maps if that's what you prefer.
Google will definitely submit a maps app to the AppStore to satisfy people who feel as you do, because if they lose your eyeballs, they lose money.
Apple will have to approve it, or leave themselves open to charges of anti competitive behavior.

You will have a choice.

P.S. I'm not even half way through this thread yet, so hopefully I haven't repeated something that's been said already.
;)

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless it's NYC, you have no idea how big a city can be... and how hard it can be if it's your second language. Try it sometime, STUDENT. Try it when you're working and being late means you're fired.
Really easy to talk when all you have to do is attend classes.
Oh how quickly we judge... This STUDENT lived in NYC before moving to Long Island and had a job in the city so I think I have a decent idea of how big the city is. And whether it's big or not I still went to an unfamiliar place with public transportation and needed to learn the area and lines of transportation. Really easy to talk when you have no idea about my relationship with big cities and NYC specifically.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices