I'm NOT Upgrading to iOS6 at all

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I recently heard that there was No public transport in Maps from iOS6? Hold up. Stomp with both feet on the brakes to a screeching halt! Stop everything.

That's a definite deal breaker.

And an excuse not to update to iOS6 at all. I use Maps all the time.

I sure hope Apple Maps isnt half assed. I need bus routes, walking, search tool, satelitte, all that. What is this claymation of empty white buildings on Apple Maps? If it isn't better than Google Maps, I don't want it. At least an option.

What's stopping you from updating to iOS 6?
In what city are you in that you need walking routes and bus routes on a regular basis but also spend enough time in and don't know these modes of transportation somewhat well enough to not need to do this? I moved from my home outside NYC to a "major" city in upstate NY for school and knew the bus routes relevant to me and how to navigate the streets walking with confidence within a month.

I've been using Maps pretty extensively since the beta for iOS 6 dropped for routes (both walking and driving) that I know backwards and forwards and I have to say the directions are pretty damn good... and it's only going to get better. Why don't we wait a few months for the official release and not 4 days after the release of the first beta before we throw a hissy fit about Maps?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
What is this new trend where people complain about things before they are even released?! I have seen a ludicrous number of b***hing and moaning posts about iOS 6, Apple Maps and the new iPhone. How on earth can you complain about something that hasn't even been formally released yet?!

iOS 6 and Apple Maps are only (suppose) to be available to developers. I can almost guarantee that with the next 2 - 3 betas of iOS 6, Maps will undergo some changes.

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, transit routes I understand, but walking routes... problems reading a map the old fashioned way?? I'm sure you're not walking 20 miles or anything. Enter an address and create own route...

My My, now I can truly say we have become too reliant on technology if we have to follow a blue line to get where we are going... smfh. lmao :p

Then why the HECK did I BUY this phone that previously was able to DO these things that I had specifically PAID FOR?
Sheesh why have an iphone when yelling does the job perfectly well? Seriously, you can't possibly believe such an absurd notion.
Or maybe it's you've never lived in a city of more than a million people where you don't know every street by heart?

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
whats stopping me from updating... nothing. You say you wont update because of no transit,satellite,walking.... wow thats petty.
People need to stop ranting and complaining about os6 which has not been fully revealed yet and also stop being cheap. I know that ios is lacking alot of key features and for the ones i really need i walk to walmart BUY an iTunes gift card and spend the money on the right app....

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
What is this new trend where people complain about things before they are even released?! I have seen a ludicrous number of b***hing and moaning posts about iOS 6, Apple Maps and the new iPhone. How on earth can you complain about something that hasn't even been formally released yet?!

iOS 6 and Apple Maps are only (suppose) to be available to developers. I can almost guarantee that with the next 2 - 3 betas of iOS 6, Maps will undergo some changes.

They have taken away a function many use, Street View, and given nothing in return.
They've handed off directions when lots of us don't actually HAVE the option for 3rd party in our language.
They've decentralized what was working fine before in multiple languages.
They've made it harder for us to do what was easily done before for the SOLE purpose of making sure their rival made less cash.

That's not user-friendly.

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
whats stopping me from updating... nothing. You say you wont update because of no transit,satellite,walking.... wow thats petty.
People need to stop ranting and complaining about os6 which has not been fully revealed yet and also stop being cheap. I know that ios is lacking alot of key features and for the ones i really need i walk to walmart BUY an iTunes gift card and spend the money on the right app....

That's because you live in an area it'll work fine. You probably don't really travel to different places for work. You probably primarily use the same language as the area in which you are in. You're the petty one, thinking it's all about you. The world has MANY people and Google had a fantastic product with the biggest database there is... it made tons of peoples lives easier. Apple is giving us a crap product in return which simply physically CANNOT match Google's by force of legwork ALONE. The only way they could match Google is to buy their database, and they won't.

It's petty when you are forced to change to something you don't want... you can hold off upgrading as long as possible, but a glitch or a broken iphone means eventually, they'll force you into it. Say hello to Android the second that happens. Apple is screwing over the consumers this time for totally their own benefit. Guess what? Not everyone drives.

And who the HECK needs a claymation building mode?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
They have taken away a function many use, Street View, and given nothing in return.
They've handed off directions when lots of us don't actually HAVE the option for 3rd party in our language.
They've made it harder for us to do what was easily done before for the SOLE purpose of making sure their rival made less cash.

Waaaaaaah! So wait until google releases their maps app in the fall and go back to that solution.

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
In what city are you in that you need walking routes and bus routes on a regular basis but also spend enough time in and don't know these modes of transportation somewhat well enough to not need to do this? I moved from my home outside NYC to a "major" city in upstate NY for school and knew the bus routes relevant to me and how to navigate the streets walking with confidence within a month.

I've been using Maps pretty extensively since the beta for iOS 6 dropped for routes (both walking and driving) that I know backwards and forwards and I have to say the directions are pretty damn good... and it's only going to get better. Why don't we wait a few months for the official release and not 4 days after the release of the first beta before we throw a hissy fit about Maps?

Unless it's NYC, you have no idea how big a city can be... and how hard it can be if it's your second language. Try it sometime, STUDENT. Try it when you're working and being late means you're fired.
Really easy to talk when all you have to do is attend classes.

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Waaaaaaah! So wait until google releases their maps app in the fall and go back to that solution.

Trust me, if Google releases a native app that is NOT a web-wrapper, AND Apple approves it ... all of these are "what if" scenarios, I will.

But Google has promised nothing, they promised an update to Google Earth -- remember, not Maps. If you don't believe me look back to the video.

And Apple has shown no willingness to ease up on its App Store rules in many categories... especially when the express purpose of their own map was to jettison Google. There's NO guarantee they'll allow anything. that's a huge investment to be subject to the whims of a dictatorial company.

ie: the only web browser out there not forced into webkit is not a browser at all... it's a proxy.

Park

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

And iOS6 won't be out for months, so no one knows what the final version of Maps will be like. And while no one knows whether Google will release a Maps app of their own (with all the features you covet), they probably will.

You guys complaining this much about beta software that isn't finished or meant for end-users yet is ridiculous. Take a deep breath and relax. Please.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

And you know this how? When was the final version of anything related to iOS 6 released? You are all wound up over the first glimpses of what 6 days ago was vaporware.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Trust me, if Google releases a native app that is NOT a web-wrapper, AND Apple approves it ... all of these are "what if" scenarios, I will.

But Google has promised nothing, they promised an update to Google Earth -- remember, not Maps. If you don't believe me look back to the video.

And Apple has shown no willingness to ease up on its App Store rules in many categories... especially when the express purpose of their own map was to jettison Google. There's NO guarantee they'll allow anything. that's a huge investment to be subject to the whims of a dictatorial company.

ie: the only web browser out there not forced into webkit is not a browser at all... it's a proxy.

You call Apple a "dictatorial company" and yet you still use their devices. If it really is an issue that is that mission critical to you, go with the tool that works. I don't see a problem, really. If Android is "all that and a bag of chips", why are you not carrying their device? You can be certain that Android won't dump Google's apps. Apple, on the other hand, has chosen to develop their own version of the map app for their devices... is that being dictatorial? or just a good business decision?

PilotPhil81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Good point. I think people are freaking out way to much about the maps change.

Park

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
While i've never used or cared for those type maps (though i've used Street View), i can understand the concern about functionality being reduced. Though there's a gain in other features like voice turn by turn and autorouting. Apple had to do this so they can make significant improvements otherwise they're dependent on google, a competitor.

There's also a few months to go before anything is final. I wouldn't judge it just yet but I can also agree with making a big to do about it in the hope that Apple at least hears about it.

That all said, can we all agree to stop with the who is the beta for BS? You go to any software forum and people love betas. Devs, endusers, you name it. Sure, people should know what they're doing. But let's can the "its meant for devs" nonsense. It's a 99 dollar beta program available to anyone who signs up. Apple is already promoting iOS 6 on its website. It's natural to want to check it out and discuss it.

I've not seen people act the same way over windows betas for example. Some devs even seem to take it to another level with iOS when it comes to being super secret citing NDA's and whatnot. Endusers don't care. We know apple's intentions about not jailbreaking. We don't care about that either. This is a forum for enthusiasts.

It's very clear that the beta versions of iOS are for DEVS to test their software and get it ready for the public release. It's not BS to try and educate people of that fact when they go off on ridiculous tirades. Whether it's a "99 dollar beta program available to anyone who signs up" is irrelevant. Even if the beta program was free for devs, that wouldn't diminish the responsibility of those who install it on their iPhones.

Also, Apple is NOT promoting iOS 6 on their website except to developers. You have to go to this developer page to see the iOS 6 stuff:

ScreenShot2012-06-16at125505AM-1.png

Everywhere else on Apple's website, iOS 5 is promoted. I do agree that, for those who know about iOS 6, it's natural to want to check it out early, but doing so comes with the responsibility of NOT complaining when there are bugs or perceived missing features.

Last edited:

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
That's because you live in an area it'll work fine. You probably don't really travel to different places for work. You probably primarily use the same language as the area in which you are in. You're the petty one, thinking it's all about you. The world has MANY people and Google had a fantastic product with the biggest database there is... it made tons of peoples lives easier. Apple is giving us a crap product in return which simply physically CANNOT match Google's by force of legwork ALONE. The only way they could match Google is to buy their database, and they won't.

It's petty when you are forced to change to something you don't want... you can hold off upgrading as long as possible, but a glitch or a broken iphone means eventually, they'll force you into it. Say hello to Android the second that happens. Apple is screwing over the consumers this time for totally their own benefit. Guess what? Not everyone drives.

And who the HECK needs a claymation building mode?

And of course it'll always be claymation right?! What a crying idiot! LOL You act like the iPhone is surgically implanted into your palm. You can buy an Android phone with ugly apps that force close every 2 seconds now that you're so unhappy. Now you'll have a phone that suck but at least you'll have the best maps app available until Apple updates theirs a few times and then you can cry about something else. Wonder what it'll be then...

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Possible Solutions

Most obvious: Just don't upgrade

Don't really want to miss out on iOS6, just because we want to have all of the other features, the new app store, the way it looks is good. Siri isn't worth the update though. But it's a necessary step to take.

Least likely: Wait for Apple

You could be waiting for years, like how you had to wait FaceTime on cellular. Not an option really.

Wildcard: Jaibreakers Assemble!!

If there's a way to do it, it will be done. Keep the existing Maps app on a Jailbroken iOS6. I'm actually excited about that because then we can happily upgrade to iOS6. For the record, this is a classic example of why we Jailbreak. :cool:

Frequently Made Posts

Wow, you can't get to your destination? I can. Work harder!

Excuses. Excuses. We're not having that.

iOS6 is in beta, how can you complain about something that isn't out yet?

We aren't complaining about Apple Maps, per se, we already know that Apple Maps is not as good. It's new, and there will be... sigh YET ANOTHER waiting game.

The notion of replacing the existing app system is already here, and that's what we are not having. Couldn't they just leave Google Maps in there and have the option to switch to Apple Maps? They aren't giving the user what's best for them. This is the kind of action performed by a company in haste.

If you don't like it, get an Android.

No. We aren't going to blindly like whatever Apple does, they are not always right. We love the iPhone, and iOS5 Maps, iOS4 Maps and iOS3 Maps. We're using it now. It will not benefit us to upgrade next Fall, but later when the Maps app has something better to offer.

With Google Maps, you can find ANY business on the globe, it's ever expanding and you can call anywhere, anytime. You can see satellite imagery of actual places. Google Maps is the definition of a good map. Apple has not capitalized on it. They can't.

No other platform can control to the point where it says, you can not have this, take this. And the thing their offering doesn't do the job.

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of these Apple Beta products.

They shouldn't release it or at least give us the option of using the superior one. "Hey, I'm Apple! Let's switch out Google Maps with our own half assed polyclay cities with no landmark information or directional assistance other than for use on road trips. We spent no time on transit, oh, no. We just have Flyover. Which has no use case whatsoever." That's just stupid! Dumb dumb dumb.

It used to be: Siri, take me here. Bam. Done. Options. Bus in 15 minutes. A walk will last this long. I can stop by so and so business in the area. Badda bing badda boom.

If you're in a car driving around a neighborhood you've lived in for years, then you shouldn't be using Maps. But for travelers, iOS5.

It's like with QuickTime and Safari on laptops. No one uses that ish.
Pretty sure Siri only did that in USA cause Siri didn't do crap for me in Canada with maps so wont effect me.

And without releasing Beta software it will never be tested proper. Plus considering this is developer software at the moment, when its officially released to public in the fall (I presume fall atleast) so you never know what will be included by then.

So true. I was down in the valley this past weekend and as an experiment I took out a regular paper map and took the young kids (15 and under...but not too young) on a small local trip and asked them to get me to location A on the map. I made sure to choose an area they weren't familiar with forcing them to use the map.

They failed. Terrible.

Haha I used those 4 years ago before I got a GPS (and iphone last year) and still have them in my car. They are slightly irrelevant at times now since alot of roads have changed a fair bit but I can read them just fine whenever I used them as a kid. I remember there was only 1 city I could not read a map on when I was like 10 and thats because it had like 4 4th Ave's and were in all different sides of the map, hell even took my dad about 10 minutes to figure it out because of how screwed up the city was. But it does show how technology has over come simple tasks alot of people learned as a kid.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice