I'm NOT Upgrading to iOS6 at all

Drummertist

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Stop Whining...

Geez, what a baby. Google already said it will bring the Google Maps app to the App Store with full features during their keynote a week before WWDC12. Ya see? You'll have a choice. Get over it and upgrade. Your whole reason is BS.

eprisencc

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well I can understand your frustration but I think Google is working on their own app store option which should hopefully provide this functionality along with other features. I think the more pressing reason not to upgrade is that there is not much new in iOS 6 and that the UI is getting extremely stale. Actually that would be a good reason to change platforms altogether.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Apple is always up to something crazy. And people are always knowing about it, but they never say anything. Apple's Maps kind of looked a little funny at the WWDC Keynote, you know, fake, bland, empty. But it wasn't until today that I spit out my cereal and read this forum.

I said, "Oh hell no!"

I'm actually deliberating on whether or not I want iOS6 now... I'm not in the mood for beta right now. I have a tight schedule. :D

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It started off good, but then I had to Facepalm at the additional information I did not yet know. Why do Apple users always have something they collectively have to deny?

Somewhere along the line, Apple made the conscious decision to screw over their users with an obviously inferior application. But why did they do it? Not for the benefit of the end user, but basically out of pride/greed whatever you want to call it.

Let's look at JUST Apple Maps here, it is, as a product, a different kind of app. Less useful for me inparticular because it tried to be everything except a really good map.

3D graphics, flyover, and cinematic turns, all of this is an elaborate and clever rouse to make the end user think that it's better, because it LOOKS cool.

But if you really look hard at Apple Maps as a whole, it is not a good product because it fails to help you in areas where you need it the most.

And also, why call it Apple Maps when it's just going to redirect you to a ton of different apps anyway?

And if I was faithful and devout iOS user as I am, I would WANT that functionality on my device. But I'm willing to forgive Apple. I think of it like redecorating. Part of what made Apple devices good was that functionality they were able to bring to the iPhone by partnering with Google.

Now that they've essentially broken up, that experience is gone. I'm still getting the new iPhone, but it come with the hassle of going to Safari to get bus times and realistic mapping.

And here again is where I say that it's been in beta for five days now. Who's to say that it isn't going to improve by the time it's at GM?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It started off good, but then I had to Facepalm at the additional information I did not yet know. Why do Apple users always have something they collectively have to deny?

Somewhere along the line, Apple made the conscious decision to screw over their users with an obviously inferior application. But why did they do it? Not for the benefit of the end user, but basically out of pride/greed whatever you want to call it.

Let's look at JUST Apple Maps here, it is, as a product, a different kind of app. Less useful for me inparticular because it tried to be everything except a really good map.

3D graphics, flyover, and cinematic turns, all of this is an elaborate and clever rouse to make the end user think that it's better, because it LOOKS cool.

But if you really look hard at Apple Maps as a whole, it is not a good product because it fails to help you in areas where you need it the most.

And also, why call it Apple Maps when it's just going to redirect you to a ton of different apps anyway?

And if I was faithful and devout iOS user as I am, I would WANT that functionality on my device. But I'm willing to forgive Apple. I think of it like redecorating. Part of what made Apple devices good was that functionality they were able to bring to the iPhone by partnering with Google.

Now that they've essentially broken up, that experience is gone. I'm still getting the new iPhone, but it come with the hassle of going to Safari to get bus times and realistic mapping.

If Apple had not decided to develop their own stuff, we would not have the MacIntosh line, OS X, the iPod, iPhone or iPad, AppleTV or any of the thousands of products that they developed over the years. And all along the way people switched to the Apple products, often times taking small steps backwards at times to ultimately be moving forward.

There will be other options for what you say you must have - including, as you have already pointed out, Safari and mapping sites on the WWW... Google may or may not get their maps app ready and into the App Store at the time of the iOS 6/iPhone 5 launch... but even if they don't, many will. And Apple has always fostered a development community that can and does meet the demands of the user base with good, reliable and innovative software. For Apple to decide to forego a part of functionality, it's well within their purview to do so. Accept it, adapt or move on. Those are your only choices.

And I at this point I can't tell of you are or are not upgrading... and frankly it doesn't matter to me... but weigh the options and make a decision... just understand that I can't fix it and you can't fix it and very few (if any) here can.

I am so done with this topic...

ecr80

May 21, 2012
Visit site
sheesh a lot can change from beta 1 to GM, just give it a break. The Maps is not ready. I'm sure they're still working on improving it, etc.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If Apple had not decided to develop their own stuff, we would not have the MacIntosh line, OS X, the iPod, iPhone or iPad, AppleTV or any of the thousands of products that they developed over the years. And all along the way people switched to the Apple products, often times taking small steps backwards at times to ultimately be moving forward.

There will be other options for what you say you must have - including, as you have already pointed out, Safari and mapping sites on the WWW... Google may or may not get their maps app ready and into the App Store at the time of the iOS 6/iPhone 5 launch... but even if they don't, many will. And Apple has always fostered a development community that can and does meet the demands of the user base with good, reliable and innovative software. For Apple to decide to forego a part of functionality, it's well within their purview to do so. Accept it, adapt or move on. Those are your only choices.

And I at this point I can't tell of you are or are not upgrading... and frankly it doesn't matter to me... but weigh the options and make a decision... just understand that I can't fix it and you can't fix it and very few (if any) here can.

I am so done with this topic...

This I understand. I see potential and vision in Apple maps. But if it was me, I would have been a step ahead of the game instead of trying to come out with it just to have the foundation. Apple is too big of a company to have an app looking like Maps. I would have held off on my own maps until later on. They just threw away the better app. I mean, everything about iOS was always simplistic, but this is ridiculous. Lol

I dont know what to do either. I can just enjoy the current iPhone for the coming months and just keep waiting.......

Last edited:

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You want transit mapping? There are apps for that... RIGHT NOW. Go to the app store and find one. Your every need is not meant for Apple to fill with their iOS. So you're not satisfied with that... we get it. Now get over it. smh...

This ^^^^^

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Download apps for that? I might as well go to Google.

How can you be so nonchalant about losing part of the iPhone experience?

Anyway, this thread isn't about me, it's about any reasons not to upgrade to iOS6, which I'm sure more reasons and unsatisfied users will pop up very soon.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
How can you be so nonchalant about losing part of the iPhone experience?

For me because that's not something I use often enough to really miss. I don't walk too much, I ride my bike on trails I already know how to get to, haven't used public transit in years (outside the park and ride) and I know where I am going when I drive. Change has to happen sometime and Apple had to start from scratch. Maps was never a part of the experience, it was an app that hardly got used.

atharv

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Maps in iOS 6

It's really simple guys.

What's more important, transit directions or turn by turn navigation? Now, before we had iOS 6, people were clamoring for turn by turn navigation. I'm pretty sure that Google refused to let Apple have that in iOS, since it was a key feature of Android + Google services integration. So, Apple had to make a choice - stick with Google and have a dead end product that probably would not receive any upgrades from Google? Or go out on a limb and try their own hand?

In the long term, it was clear that Apple had to develop its own Maps solution. Now, obviously there are some (every?) things Google does that are top of the line:
- Mapping
- Places
- Transit
- Street View
- Satellite
- Turn by Turn
- Vector Graphics
- 3D Mapping
- Advertising

However, out of those, iOS5 maps was stuck with Mapping, Satellite, Transit, Street View and Advertising. It would never get Places integration, never get Turn by Turn, never get Vector Graphics, never get 3D Mapping, and never get rid of those sponsored Advertising pins.

Now, Apple has come up with a solution that has noticeably but not deal-breaking worse mapping, no transit directions, no street view and poorer satellite imagery. But guess what?
- It has Yelp integration for Places
- It has Turn by Turn
- It has Vector Graphics
- It has 3D Mapping
- It has no Advertising
- It (subjectively) looks better

So, you gain some, you lose some. But the rest is stuff that there was no way Apple could get to Google's level the first time around. It had to happen. But I'm sure that Apple's mapping solution will iteratively improve as time goes on. Not by Fall, but by iOS 7 I'm almost sure Transit directions will be back in some form.

Of course, the ideal would be Apple and Google working together to provide the best mapping solution on the iPhone, but we can't always get what we want.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
This is unwarranted. This has nothing to do with beta. This has everything to do with Apple switching a superior product with an inferior product in the name of pride and money.

It's not about beta, if you think that Apple Maps will magically get to Google Maps status in just a few months. I must tell you I do not believe it. They should not release Apple Maps if the development of Apple Maps is not complete with the end product being greater than or equal to the previous Google Maps.

But when it is about beta, like with Siri, I'd like to say that Apple is garnering a reputation of publicly releasing unfinished products and whenever something isn't right, they just say, "Beta".

Apple is starting to mess up.

The Google maps experience for the iPhone sucked! BIG TIME! I'll be much happier with what Apple is working on with their own maps app. Google maps on their own mobile OS didn't even have the features that you're crying about in the first version. These things will come with time! I would much rather have turn by turn with voice than the lame version that comes stock right now. Its the reason I have to pay AT&T for navigation right now! And this will be $free.99! If you hate it that much there's always Android.

Last edited:

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
And here again is where I say that it's been in beta for five days now. Who's to say that it isn't going to improve by the time it's at GM?

That's what betas are for. To test, develop and improve. I don't get the appeal of installing it and then acting like it's a final polished product. :cool:

jayman16

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh.My.God.

Someone get this guy a tiny violin for all the whining... Your big complaint over iOS 6 is transit maps? Really? I'm sorry if this a something you use all the time but to sit here and DEMAND that Apple not release their version of maps till it has ever single feature of the 7 year old Google maps is retarded.

I you want transit maps, then stay on 5.1.1 or get one of the HUNDREDS of transit apps in the store. But b-i-t-c-h-ing about a beta 1 build that is 3-4 months from releases is pointless. Do really think some dumb online petition will make Apple just cancel their mapping plans and keep that s-h-i-t-t-y version of Goofle Maps in? And I totally see Apple going with your idea of keeping BOTH mapping apps...not only would that be super confusing for non-nerds but it is redundant for 99% of the tasks.

I agree with the others, if Google Transit maps are so important to you. Go get some POS Android phone and use it to your hearts content. Which hopefully is less that 4 hours cause that about the extend of Android battery life.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I recently heard that there was No public transport in Maps from iOS6? Hold up. Stomp with both feet on the brakes to a screeching halt! Stop everything.

That's a definite deal breaker.

And an excuse not to update to iOS6 at all. I use Maps all the time.

I sure hope Apple Maps isnt half assed. I need bus routes, walking, search tool, satelitte, all that. What is this claymation of empty white buildings on Apple Maps? If it isn't better than Google Maps, I don't want it. At least an option.

What's stopping you from updating to iOS 6?

"stomp on brakes?" If i'm driving i don't need public transportation maps.

And in reality. I drive so i actually don't need them. i never used maps to begin with. And when i lived in a city where i rode public transportation i knew what trains and buses to take cause i had them memorized so i still didn't need them.

Navigation on the other hand i do use. So you're complaints? Ok. For me they are about things i don't care about.

"What's stopping me from updating to iOS6?" Nothing will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2