I'm NOT Upgrading to iOS6 at all

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Do you not agree that they should not take away Maps from us for no reason when their product is not ready?

I'm sorry, but not having walking/transit routes does not make Apple maps not ready... it been working great for me so far and will mature into much more than google Maps has to this point... actually with 3D it already has in that respect.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but not having walking/transit routes does not make Apple maps not ready... it been working great for me so far and will mature into much more than google Maps has to this point... actually with 3D it already has in that respect.

3D is not really going to help when it comes to actually going somewhere. It looks nice, but is it useful. Lack of transit mapping is not the only thing that makes Apple maps a no-no. The whole thing from what I heard, is poorly executed and slow.

You might be enjoying that flyover and cinematic turns but you won't be when your neighborhood can't be found on the map and various business are not yet there.

Apple is crazy. Lol.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
While i've never used or cared for those type maps (though i've used Street View), i can understand the concern about functionality being reduced. Though there's a gain in other features like voice turn by turn and autorouting. Apple had to do this so they can make significant improvements otherwise they're dependent on google, a competitor.

There's also a few months to go before anything is final. I wouldn't judge it just yet but I can also agree with making a big to do about it in the hope that Apple at least hears about it.

That all said, can we all agree to stop with the who is the beta for BS? You go to any software forum and people love betas. Devs, endusers, you name it. Sure, people should know what they're doing. But let's can the "its meant for devs" nonsense. It's a 99 dollar beta program available to anyone who signs up. Apple is already promoting iOS 6 on its website. It's natural to want to check it out and discuss it.

I've not seen people act the same way over windows betas for example. Some devs even seem to take it to another level with iOS when it comes to being super secret citing NDA's and whatnot. Endusers don't care. We know apple's intentions about not jailbreaking. We don't care about that either. This is a forum for enthusiasts.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
motoleo, i am curious why you even own an iPhone. i have yet to see/read ONE positive thing you have said about it or the operating system

if you're not happy with your device then speak with your wallet not your keyboard

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
motoleo, i am curious why you even own an iPhone. i have yet to see/read ONE positive thing you have said about it or the operating system

if you're not happy with your device then speak with your wallet not your keyboard

I sold myself to Apple a long time ago. I can't go anywhere else. lol. BLiNK, you and I both know that there's only one solution to this problem.

Include Google Maps as an option!!

Nothing is wrong with the iPhone today, iOS6 is amazing. But please don't let Apple take away all that functionally. It's just the Maps app that's the problem.

I'm very satisfied with Apple products, but when a problem to this magnitude arises, I cannot sit down!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
But please don't let Apple take away all that functionally. It's just the Maps app that's the problem.

What orifice are you pulling the "Apple taking away functionality" meme from?

Apple's iOS does provide limited iOS-internal transit mapping functionality now. They are adding turn-by turn functionality. There are apps in the app store that provide that functionality already. Transit providers and developers will be free to make products that will be fully compatible with the new Maps app and be a much better offering than what they offer now - nothing is being taken away. NOTHING. In fact, there is opportunity for developers to meet a need, and make $$... like I said in another thread... what a concept. :eek:

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
What orifice are you pulling the "Apple taking away functionality" meme from?

Apple's iOS does not provide any iOS-internal transit mapping functionality now. They are adding turn-by turn functionality. There are apps in the app store that provide that functionality already. Transit providers and developers will be free to make products that will be fully compatible with the new Maps app - nothing is being taken away. NOTHING. In fact, there is opportunity for developers to meet a need, and make $$... like I said in another thread... what a concept. :eek:

Not only that, but there will be millions of users on iOS 6. I'm sure that might interest a few devs..

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This is a disaster.

(snip)

Apple maps is too lacking. Turn by turn is nice, but it's not more
important than transit, which should have been the main focus. Where's that petition? I'm going to start emailing some people, creating awareness.

No, it's NOT a disaster. It will be more - developers with incentive to innovate, and make apps that fill needs will make it more. Get over it. And yourself.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Apple maps is too lacking. Turn by turn is nice, but it's not more
important than transit, which should have been the main focus. Where's that petition? I'm going to start emailing some people, creating awareness.

And that's going to go where? When has Apple ever listened to a petition? There are petitions about matte displays being an option on certain Mac products for a few years and bam, nothing has changed. You are making a big deal out of nothing in a beta 1 product. How about you wait and see what developers do with their integration into the maps product? Apple bought a couple of mapping companies not too too long ago, so in reality the writing was on the wall already. How do you know Google won't offer their own map program outside of Google earth? Oh wait, you want Siri to help with maps right?

You are comparing a first generation mapping solution to something that took Google years to get to their current point. Apple had to make the cutover eventually to their own solution and there will be growing pains. You say that transit should have been the main focus. WRONG. The main focus is to make sure the core of Maps works fine and then go from there. Assuming you're someone who uses transit on a frequent basis (and I can't imagine why I think that), I would assume you already have the schedules for most of your routes pretty much already known unless you're going to a new area you aren't familiar with.

Get over it. You're not getting your precious transit maps back from Apple. They are going the third party route for that and that comes straight from Forstall. Stay on 5.1.1 or wait for Google to come out with their own mapping solution for iOS 6 that will most likely not integrate with Siri. I don't know if it was this thread or another that said people rely too much on technology. It's clear to me that you are one of them. There are plenty of people who rely on transit who don't have smartphones and get around fine. There's always that option for you too. Let me know how that awareness campaign works out for you and when Apple bends.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it was this thread or another that said people rely too much on technology. It's clear to me that you are one of them. There are plenty of people who rely on transit who don't have smartphones and get around fine. There's always that option for you too. Let me know how that awareness campaign works out for you and when Apple bends.

My wife and I had this same discussion this morning about another issue... through some stupid action on my part, I thought I'd lost my password manager's database... and panic set in because I don't know passwords to all of my online accounts... (sidebar, Time Machine saved the day)... but it's the same with programmed phone numbers in our devices... if I don't have MY phone, I can't call Aunt Susie because I don't know her number... don't NEED to, but device does that... until something happens and it all goes south.

Your point is spot-on. Yeah, the technology and "brainlessness" are nice and convenient, but when we totally rely on them, we are completely lost when they fail. And sooner or later, they ALWAYS fail.

The bottom line is this - if the new product (iOS 6) doesn't fit your needs, don't use it. The OP can continue using the old product (iOS 5.1.1) until hell freezes over or until Apple or some developer comes along to give him the solution that he wants. But the "sky is falling" act is growing old, at least to me.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
And that's going to go where? When has Apple ever listened to a petition? There are petitions about matte displays being an option on certain Mac products for a few years and bam, nothing has changed. You are making a big deal out of nothing in a beta 1 product. How about you wait and see what developers do with their integration into the maps product? Apple bought a couple of mapping companies not too too long ago, so in reality the writing was on the wall already. How do you know Google won't offer their own map program outside of Google earth? Oh wait, you want Siri to help with maps right?

You are comparing a first generation mapping solution to something that took Google years to get to their current point. Apple had to make the cutover eventually to their own solution and there will be growing pains. You say that transit should have been the main focus. WRONG. The main focus is to make sure the core of Maps works fine and then go from there. Assuming you're someone who uses transit on a frequent basis (and I can't imagine why I think that), I would assume you already have the schedules for most of your routes pretty much already known unless you're going to a new area you aren't familiar with.

Get over it. You're not getting your precious transit maps back from Apple. They are going the third party route for that and that comes straight from Forstall. Stay on 5.1.1 or wait for Google to come out with their own mapping solution for iOS 6 that will most likely not integrate with Siri. I don't know if it was this thread or another that said people rely too much on technology. It's clear to me that you are one of them. There are plenty of people who rely on transit who don't have smartphones and get around fine. There's always that option for you too. Let me know how that awareness campaign works out for you and when Apple bends.

I CAN get around without a smartphone. I could also join the boyscouts and learn how to find which way is north by licking my finger and sticking it in the air. But why would anyone want to?

I'm not overly dependent on technology, I'd just like to use what I paid for.

Do you not agree that there should have been no talks about Mapping until everything was set and they had their priorities in order? You have to.

Oh, then I suppose you want Apple to create their own version of YouTube today, just so they can say its theirs? I don't see the opposition, this affects us all.

And you'll soon find that out when you ask Siri to find the nearest gas station when you're sitting out in the middle of nowhere and she says, "There's something wrong. And I can't answer your questions right now."

The iPhone was fine as is, but they're not ready for this.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Apple is more than ready. You're not. And it's not Apple's fault.

Somebody please explain to me how unlabeled 3D maps with no texture renderings are helpful? Every building looks the same. It's like an empty map.

Apple maps isn't even real, it's like when you're at the mall and it shows you "YOU ARE HERE" but you don't know where here is because nothing is labeled.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can't be serious. Somebody please explain to me how unlabeled 3D maps with no texture renderings are helpful? Every building looks the same. It's like an empty map.

Your perceptions are not my reality. IOS6 in in it's first beta release to developers. For anyone to get as bent as you are over things that may or may not be in the final release, or available as apps from 3rd party developers by public launch is ludicrous at best.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Saying that Apple maps is better than Google Maps is crazy, but was Google maps this good when they started a few years ago?? of course not... It's only been out for a few days, give them a break, when Google maps goes live at the app store just use it and put Apple maps into a folder and forget about it...

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Do you not agree that there should have been no talks about Mapping until everything was set and they had their priorities in order? You have to.

Oh, then I suppose you want Apple to create their own version of YouTube today, just so they can say its theirs? I don't see the opposition, this affects us all.

And you'll soon find that out when you ask Siri to find the nearest gas station when you're sitting out in the middle of nowhere and she says, "There's something wrong. And I can't answer your questions right now."

The iPhone was fine as is, but they're not ready for this.

1. No, I don't agree. They had to announce it so developers could get started on their end. The worst thing would be not to announce it and set it up last second and catch developers off guard.

2. I doesn't affect me because I don't really use maps. Don't include me in your sky is falling umbrella.

3. I use Gas Buddy for gas stations. It hasn't failed me yet.

They had to cut the cord to google sometime and the writing was on the wall awhile ago when they started acquiring mapping companies.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Saying that Apple maps is better than Google Maps is crazy, but was Google maps this good when they started a few years ago?? of course not... It's only been out for a few days, give them a break, when Google maps goes live at the app store just use it and put Apple maps into a folder and forget about it...

Exactly. It took google several years to accumulate this information.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR