I am on the 6.0 beta. There are walking directions and public transportation directions. Everyone calm down. I'll post pictures if I have to...
    You'll have to.
    06-16-2012 08:42 PM
    I am on the 6.0 beta. There are walking directions and public transportation directions. Everyone calm down. I'll post pictures if I have to...
    please do. video too if you can.

Show for example; will I still be able to use the blue dot to know where I am and will it show the bus stops so I know when to pull the string teling the bus driver to let me off?

Thanks for the help!
    06-16-2012 09:18 PM
    Walking, yes. Public transportation, nope. I hope you prove me wrong cause it would quiet a lot of critics about the app.
    06-16-2012 09:24 PM
    Walking, yes. Public transportation, nope. I hope you prove me wrong cause it would quiet a lot of critics about the app.
    The critics would move on to something else to be overly vocal about.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    06-16-2012 09:40 PM
    The critics would move on to something else to be overly vocal about.
    you nailed it. the only reason we're bothered by this is because we all secretly hate apple.

So we're just looking for any excuse to bash apple.

my having an iMac that I love, an iPad that I love (and that I fully intend to keep, since I never use it to navigate anyway) and an iPhone I've been thoroughly satisfied with up to this point, were all a put on, but you just had to blow my cover!

Damn you!

Android Rules! Microsoft Rules! Apple Sucks! LOL
    06-16-2012 09:52 PM
    Android isn't even on my radar. I just don't think Apple should have kicked Google Maps to the curb.

They assume that we all self consciously hate Android.
    06-16-2012 10:30 PM
    Android isn't even on my radar. I just don't think Apple should have kicked Google Maps to the curb.

Freudian slip?
    06-16-2012 10:40 PM
    Freudian slip?
    I mean subconscious.
    06-16-2012 11:18 PM
    Geez, what a baby. Google already said it will bring the Google Maps app to the App Store with full features during their keynote a week before WWDC12. Ya see? You'll have a choice. Get over it and upgrade. Your whole reason is BS.
    What!!!! I hope like hell this is true. I would gladly pay whatever reasonable price they would chrge for that app!

Then i could have the best of both worlds. iTunes and google maps.
    06-17-2012 12:11 AM

Android is not on my radar either. Cannot let go of iTunes. But if apple kicking this half a$$ google maps to the curb means tht we get a full feature google map app in the app store, then please apple get ta kikn!
    06-17-2012 12:21 AM
    It's all right here guys. No need to panic.
    Attachment 16661

iOS 6 is a good upgrade. Even if maps didn't have transportation and walking directions, I'm sure there are other maps to fulfill those needs. No need to not update. That would be stupid.
    Last edited by dublex; 06-17-2012 at 12:28 AM.
    06-17-2012 12:26 AM
    I'm gonna upgrade. other than maps I think iOS 6 kicks ***. and if google maps comes as a third party app, and integrates nicely with apple maps, I'll be one happy customer.

thats why I'm not jumping ship just yet. I'm expressing my concerns now, and waiting to see what the final result will be. if it works OK, I plan to get the next iPhone upon release.

anyway that said, to dublex, your screen shot has walking highlighted, not transit. can you do it again, this time touching the transit button?
    06-17-2012 12:38 AM
    It's all right here guys. No need to panic.
    Attachment 16661

iOS 6 is a good upgrade. Even if maps didn't have transportation and walking directions, I'm sure there are other maps to fulfill those needs. No need to not update. That would be stupid.

Well, now... wasn't that a fine waste of time, energy and bandwidth? Imagine that, the sky is NOT falling, after all. SMH
    iLive an iLife likes this.
    06-17-2012 12:48 AM
    I recently heard that there was No public transport in Maps from iOS6? Hold up. Stomp with both feet on the brakes to a screeching halt! Stop everything.

That's a definite deal breaker.

And an excuse not to update to iOS6 at all. I use Maps all the time.

I sure hope Apple Maps isnt half assed. I need bus routes, walking, search tool, satelitte, all that. What is this claymation of empty white buildings on Apple Maps? If it isn't better than Google Maps, I don't want it. At least an option.

What's stopping you from updating to iOS 6?
    So it seems you're a tad confused about what's coming in iOS 6's Maps, as well as many others. And the idea of delegating transit to third party developers seems to put many off here.

First, there are walking directions that are identical to how they where prior to iOS 6, so that is unchanged. The only feature that has changed is how Maps now handles/retrieves transit directions/times.

We've yet to see exactly how this new transit feature will be implemented, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has a clever way to allow partnered-third-party-services to tap into the Maps app natively.

Now, let me explain to you why I think this is a better approach than to what Google offered: choice and rapid accessibility. Currently, with Google Maps, if you don't live in one of their supported markets, you're S.O.L. for transit directions, but you can likely download a third party app to fill that gap. If Apple allows some level of integration (like I mentioned above) the flexibility this provides would be monumental. Your smaller rural areas that do have transit systems but aren't available within Google Maps may now be a part of something much bigger.

I have no clue if this will be the case, but it certainly feels like this is the direction Apple is going with Maps.

My only concern with the new Maps is data. I'm concerned that it won't have nearly the amount of place data that Google has, which could be troublesome; but I will hold all judgment until we see the public release.
    Last edited by barkerja; 06-17-2012 at 03:29 AM.
    Dryland likes this.
    06-17-2012 03:17 AM
    I don't dislike Apple maps. It's just, where's Google Maps going to go?
    06-17-2012 04:31 AM
    Probably to the App Store. I'm OK with that. Does Apple's Map product need improved? I'd say yes, but there's still time between now and October.
    06-17-2012 05:25 AM
    On your home screen when google releases their app.

I did actually use the new map app last night and it worked very very well (non-transit). My only gripe, too sensitive when zooming in. It always rotates. It does zoom, but rotates and zooms.
    06-17-2012 09:46 AM
    On your home screen when google releases their app.

I did actually use the new map app last night and it worked very very well (non-transit). My only gripe, too sensitive when zooming in. It always rotates. It does zoom, but rotates and zooms.
    I dont like the rotation when zooming, hopefully there will be an option to disable that, it also lacks lots of street detail when zooming out, the flyover maps take forever to download, even when using it with my wifi ( 24 mbps ).....
    06-17-2012 10:20 AM
    That's because you live in an area it'll work fine. You probably don't really travel to different places for work. You probably primarily use the same language as the area in which you are in. You're the petty one, thinking it's all about you. its petty hen you are forced to change to something you don't want... you can hold off upgrading as long as possible, but a glitch or a broken iphone means eventually, they'll force you into it. Say hello to Android the second that happens. Apple is screwing over the consumers this time for totally their own benefit. Guess what? Not everyone drives.

And who the HECK needs a claymation building mode?
    I dont drive either and there are plenty of apps available for just about every single country that apple supports. If you dont expect things like these from apple then your obviously oblivious to them and their design...... As for you claim that i think its all about me... meh... the way i see it a company needs to help the immediate consumer first and then secondary etc in a process or order if you will. America is were the iphone started and took root so i would expect things to work for me first, just like i would for google. ( Btw there is an extensive list of google features which only north Americans have)
    06-17-2012 06:18 PM
    Um.... is maps.apple.com going be something other than a display page when iOS6 comes out?

I mean, can you get Apple Maps on Windows 7 inside Firefox...?
    06-17-2012 10:09 PM
    It's on apples front page and here Apple - iOS 6 Preview.
    Ah, you're exactly right. I didn't see that.

However, I still stand by what I said. The fact that they are promoting a "preview" of iOS 6 is marketing something I think we all know Apple is good at. The fact that they're promoting a preview of coming features still does not give anyone the right to complain about trying to actually use those features when iOS 6 is in beta.
    06-18-2012 11:48 AM
    We're not complaining about the individual features, we haven't even tried using it and wouldn't know what we would be talking about. We're all concerned, (even MacRumors) about where Google Maps is going to go and why Apple decided to make their own Maps app knowing that nobody does it better than Google.
    06-18-2012 12:16 PM
    There are dozens of alternative apps for maps in the app store. To say "nobody does it better than Google" is ignorant, and false.
    06-18-2012 12:18 PM
    Let's ...

Let's be honest with ourselves here. I mean really.

Sometimes people are so headstrong about their iDevices that they speak without thinking...It sounds nice when you say "dozens" of apps in the store in conversation, but if you do a simple search you won't find anything of significance.

Apple can't expect to think that just because they create their own map app that Google is just going to go away. I mean, what do people with Macs use when they're looking at a Map on their Macs?
    redbeard likes this.
    06-18-2012 12:41 PM
    I mean, what do people with Macs use when they're looking at a Map on their Macs?
    I use Basecamp - an app that works in in concert with my Garmin Nuvi. And Bing. Google is not the only game in town.

Apple can't expect to think that just because they create their own map app that Google is just going to go away
    And just because Google is there does not mean that Apple, or any other developer should be precluded from making a competing product.
    Last edited by kch50428; 06-18-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    06-18-2012 12:56 PM
190 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD